Trading Vanek

static70

Maybe you should take your own advice. Bucky said they are shopping him, or hinting at shopping him.

Excerpts taken directly from Gleason's "Inside the NHL" chat yesterday, as it relates to any mentions of Vanek:

11:22 [Comment From BuffaloGalBuffaloGal: ]

The Vanek drought is almost starting to be troublesome. Say it continues for another few weeks, then what?

11:23 [Response from BG] Lindy was putting a happy face on the situation the other day, but it's easy to do when you're winning. Obviously, they need more production from him and a few others on their top six. Miller has played so well, and their bottom two lines have played so well, that's it's been pushed to the backdrop. If they start losing and Vanek still isn't doing much, you can expect the tone to change.

11:39 [Comment From BuffaloGalBuffaloGal: ]

Vanek- I guess what I meant was their course of action. He needs to be their horse, the guy who ties that game last night... if his personality isn't that, do they need to start shopping for a horse?

11:40 [Response from BG] Oh, I see. There's really not much you can do. He has a big contract, so it's tough to move him. He's talented. We know that, so you're hesitant to move him. There aren't many horses out there who can be had. Teams aren't willing to take your problem and trade their good player. He has to play through his problems.

11:43 [Comment From toddtodd: ]

lets trade vanek to minnesota (where he played college), for clutterbuck and boogard.....this team isn't designed for his floating, tired style.

11:45 [Comment From SluggoNHSluggoNH: ]

dump salary? sounds like too many moves in the NHL this year, at least. I thought I read somewheere that they were shopping him... Happy Holidays, don't let the keyboard tough guys get you riled up.

11:46 [Response from BG] They are shopping him, or they're dropping hints that they're shopping him and a few others, but it's not that easy to trade players anymore. I'm not saying it couldn't be done. It's just harder now than it was years ago. I'm not worried about the keyboard guys. And you've known me long enough to know how I get when it comes down to principle.

12:12 [Comment From thomthom: ]

Vanek played just fine when Briere & Drury were here. There are plenty of teams that could use him at his price, should the Sabres ever be inclined to move him.

12:13 [Response from BG] I've spent most of my adult life listening to people complain about the Sabres lacking a pure goal scorer. Vanek is a scorer. He's simply not scoring. There's a difference. Keep him.

Just to end the debate, this is true ... check the chat at 11:46 ...

"They are shopping him, or they're dropping hints that they're shopping him and a few others, but it's not that easy to trade players anymore. ..."

I saw that, but there is no indication as to who the "he" is. That was a response from Bucky to the following:

[Comment From SluggoNHSluggoNH: ]

dump salary? sounds like too many moves in the NHL this year, at least. I thought I read somewheere that they were shopping him... Happy Holidays, don't let the keyboard tough guys get you riled up.

The previous question posed by "SluggoNH" was:

[Comment From SluggoNHSluggoNH: ]

Is there a way to help the power play? What about a guy like Sheldon Souray? Make a deal and send Lydman orTallinder plus a prospect. or will salry kill that since he makes good $$$?

to which Bucky responded:

Sluggo, what's up? Happy Holidays. Souray would be a great addition. Edmonton is pretty deep when it comes to defensemen, too, but Souray is a big, big player for them. I don't know what the price would be in terms of personnel, but if Buffalo dumped salary from its roster in such a move -- and this is hypothetical -- it would lessen the sting from Souray's contract.

So, Bucky and Sluggo were having a back-and-forth about Souray, Tallinder & Lydman -- no mention of Vanek. Bucky could easily have been referring to the Oilers shopping Souray.

So, Bucky and Sluggo were having a back-and-forth about Souray, Tallinder & Lydman -- no mention of Vanek. Bucky could easily have been referring to the Oilers shopping Souray.

I concur. The connection of "salary dump" in SluggoNHSluggoNH's question (directly preceding Bucky's "they are shopping him" statement) to Bucky's previous response about Souray does suggest that "they" is Edmonton and "he" is Souray.

I saw that, but there is no indication as to who the "he" is. That was a response from Bucky to the following:

The previous question posed by "SluggoNH" was:

to which Bucky responded:

It pains me to say this, but you're right.

What a helluva Christmas this is turning into.

Just to sum up--Bucky didn't say the Sabres were shopping Vanek, the other thread is closed, and Bucky may have said someone was shopping Souray--do I have this right? I confusing.

That pretty much sums it up. And Carp still thinks the Sabres swept the Senators in '06.

I'd rather talk about trading Pommer over trading Vanek. We basically have already seen most of what Pommer is capable of. He's nothing more than a potential 30 goal, 40 assist guy. I dont think theres much more to see out of him. Sure he's very durable, when it comes to injuries. Sure he's fairly solid defensivly. And sure hes got a great shot,(almost without a sense of accuracy). But theres not much more to be seen with Pominville.

Vanek on the other hand, still seems to have a good amount of untapped potential. Wether it be his ability to commit 100 percent to defensive play, or his playmaking skills. But when you look at Vanek, he's a guy that can, and might carry this team to consistent winning, and hopefully at some point, a shiny cup shaped trophy.

Basically to me when you compare the two players, Pommer seems more logical to move. He makes less money, and would be a smaller finacial strain to which ever team picks him up. Vanek is younger, and he can be that franchise forward every team needs. Pomminvile's position on his team is to be a supporting cast member for Vanek.

And to me, it seems like if Pominville played on a team with a stacked top line, and he was able to play against the 2nd to 3rd tier defenses, he would flourish. Take Chicago for example. I dont know who makes up there top line, but its gotta be close to Kane-Towes-Hossa. Trade Pommer to Chicago, put him out there with Versteeg, and watch his production soar.

Pommer & a 2nd rounder for Sharp.

But keep Vanek here, give him some time, and stay patient. He'll break through this crap funk. Pommer wont.

And Carp still thinks the Sabres swept the Senators in '06.

Hey! :censored: you, you old :censored: ing :censored: !!

:beer:

(It was really just a bad choice of words (loosely, they swept through them in five games, but "swept" also has a precise meaning of winning a series without a loss.)

So you're proposing a trade where Chicago ADDS payroll? Good luck with that.

Obviously Chicago would have to adjust to make room, is Brain Campbell a big part of the Hawks' future? Indeed he is not. He would be the number one guy Chicago would need to unload before they can make a big deal. But i was just throwing a trade possiblity out there for the sake of doing it.

Pominville would definetly fit in Chicago. Sharp is a perfect Sabre, because he embodys what we lack.

Hey! :censored: you, you old :censored: ing :censored: !!

:beer:

(It was really just a bad choice of words (loosely, they swept through them in five games, but "swept" also has a precise meaning of winning a series without a loss.)

I know you're not Drew Stafford. I'm starting to wonder if you're Bill Clinton.

Maybe you should take your own advice. Bucky said they are shopping him, or hinting at shopping him.

Thats what I took from it to PA, I was in the chat live and when I saw this it peaked my interest.

Although, I have no idea how good his "source" is or if it was an off the cuff remark. Kinda through me for a loop, I had assumed they would try to find a center that would help him.

Thats what I took from it to PA, I was in the chat live and when I saw this it peaked my interest.

Although, I have no idea how good his "source" is or if it was an off the cuff remark. Kinda through me for a loop, I had assumed they would try to find a center that would help him.

He wasn't talking about Vanek. I was mistaken.

Archived