Taylor Code reporting Sabs trying for Bertuzzi

Eleven

No ... that being said, I'd get my new Blue and Gold Sabres jersey with Bertuzzi's #44.

There has to be some truth to this rumor because it's being reported by various credible and uncredible sources.

Maybe we simply don't want Ottawa to grab Bertuzzi? Or maybe he's a pawn toward getting someone else.

No ... that being said, I'd get my new Blue and Gold Sabres jersey with Bertuzzi's #44.

There has to be some truth to this rumor because it's being reported by various credible and uncredible sources.

Maybe we simply don't want Ottawa to grab Bertuzzi? Or maybe he's a pawn toward getting someone else.

I seem to read on a few sites that the Rangers, not Ottawa, are the most likely partner for Vancouver in a Bertuzzi deal.

Name one "credible" source that is reporting this....

Code has updated his blog: "Buffalo makes offer for Bertuzzi.

The Sabres have offered Biron and a second round pick for Bertuzzi. The deal is not done.

Just to note: I didn't mean to give anyone a heartattack. I just jumped the gun on information given to me by the Sabres front office. The real offer is stated above."

Name one "credible" source that is reporting this....

"Credible" as in it was reported on CNN/SI and I believe ESPN.

In my world the only difference between credible and not is "credible" just means big name sports media sources. But they are wrong just as much as the not credible guys.

"Credible" as in it was reported on CNN/SI and I believe ESPN.

In my world the only difference between credible and not is "credible" just means big name sports media sources. But they are wrong just as much as the not credible guys.

Excellent point. Just because a pundit has the imprimatur of a large corporation doesn't mean he knows any more. All of these guys--from TSN writers to bloggers--make a hundred predictions, two turn out to be correct, and the other 98 are never heard again.

Is Bertuzzi a UFA at the end of the year? I'm really torn on this one. I'm really pissed at Bertuzzi for what he did to Moore, but what an addition he would make to the forward ranks. If Darcy can get Bertuzzi for Biron and a pick, and then pick up a d-man for the playoff run without giving up any top prospects....

I may just start to get more than a little excited. :)

Is Bertuzzi a UFA at the end of the year? I'm really torn on this one. I'm really pissed at Bertuzzi for what he did to Moore, but what an addition he would make to the forward ranks. If Darcy can get Bertuzzi for Biron and a pick, and then pick up a d-man for the playoff run without giving up any top prospects....

I may just start to get more than a little excited. :)

After seeing how well Bertuzzi played in the Olympics? Who wouldn't be excited. He is one of the biggest reasons why Canada had an early exit and would be the cause of a Sabres early exit.

While most fans desire/expect this blockbuster trade I personally don't see it happening.

As good as we may think Marty and/or Mika are, they are not playoff tested and teams are just not going to give up that much, and second, I really believe this team believes in its chemistry and they don't want anything to ruin it...

I'm sick of people talking about Bertuzzi like he's the scum of the Earth. You see BS plays like he did once a week at least in the NHL. I don't like it either, but luckily for the NHL, guys usually walk away with nothing more than a bruise or a head-ache. Bertuzzi did an all-too common NHL cheapshot that ended up horrible.

Just last week we saw Orpik end Coles season on a play that could have been career ending. And, I forget the names, but I believe we saw a Minnesota guy go 'wild' with an attempted Paul Bunyan on some guys head. The NHL is way too happy to let Bert be the fall guy for some serious, serious problems with how poorly they respond to violence within their game.

I'd take Bert, but I think his salary is way too high, I don't know how one expensive forward would fit in in the locker-room.

I'm sick of people talking about Bertuzzi like he's the scum of the Earth. You see BS plays like he did once a week at least in the NHL. I don't like it either, but luckily for the NHL, guys usually walk away with nothing more than a bruise or a head-ache. Bertuzzi did an all-too common NHL cheapshot that ended up horrible.

Just last week we saw Orpik end Coles season on a play that could have been career ending. And, I forget the names, but I believe we saw a Minnesota guy go 'wild' with an attempted Paul Bunyan on some guys head. The NHL is way too happy to let Bert be the fall guy for some serious, serious problems with how poorly they respond to violence within their game.

I'd take Bert, but I think his salary is way too high, I don't know how one expensive forward would fit in in the locker-room.

Rabbit, here is why I talk about Bertuzzi like "he's the scum of the Earth". He intentionally attacked another player from behind, where the guy is defenseless, and proceeded to drive his head into the ice with all his 245 lbs behind the hit. The attack had absolutely nothing to do with the ongoing play in the game. It was premeditated (the attacking of Moore, not necessarily the pile driving) and was done in a way that the victim could not defend himself.

You do not see BS plays like that once / week in the NHL. It was far more serious than the run of the mill mayhem that IS seen oftentimes in hockey.

This play was much worse than the Cole incident. Although the hit on Cole could have been career ending, it was at least based on a "hockey action" and in the course of the play. I think Orpik should have been given a longer suspension, but his action was similar to what Bertuzzi did in only the most tangential of manners.

The Bertuzzi play was worse than most "Paul Bunyan" action, in that most stick swinging incidents come from the front where the attacked player can at least defend himself and in that most stick swinging incidents are NOT premeditated. Again, pile driving Moore may not have been premeditated, but attacking him certainly was, and although Bertuzzi knew he was going to attack Moore he didn't have the "decency" to do it face to face where Moore could defend himself. The one "recent" stick swinging incident that did occur from behind a defenseless player that I can think of ended up essentially ending the swinger's career (McSorley).

McSorley at least appeared to be genuinely remorseful over the actions. Bertuzzi certainly does not appear to be remorseful. He made limited attempts to speak with Moore after the incident and actually went so far as to sue Moore for legal fees. While he did weep in his public apology to Moore, I don't think Bertuzzi is sorry about it for any reason other than he lost money and lost a chance to play for Canada in the World Cup. If he were remorseful, I might not look upon him as unfavorably as I do, but he isn't so I see no reason to have any respect for the guy.

I will agree with you that the NHL has issues with how they respond to "attempts to injure". That does not change the fact that Bertuzzi intentionally pile drove a defenseless guy into the ice from behind and bounced his head off the ice more than once. That is not a weekly occurance in the NHL.

I believe Bertuzzi tried to fight Moore one on one and Moore would not have it and kept skating away. So Bertuzzi took a swing and hit him in the back of the head. Cheap shot, yes, but That wasn't what put moores career away. It was the fact that when he went down, Bertuzzi fell on top of him and both teams piled ontop of them.

Moore took a shot at the canucks team captain, the canucks tried to retaliate by sending their enforcer out to "Take care of the problem". Moore didn't want to fight someone who was bigger and would definitly win in a fight so he started running.

Was it right for Bertuzzi to do it, not really, but it happens alot. It was an accident just like Heatleys was. If you are going to say Bertuzzi stepped on the ice and said "I'm gonna sneak up behind him and punch him in the head" you also could say Heatley got into his car that night and said "I'm going to push the limits of this sports car and drive dangerously, possibly crashing it"

P.S. Not defending Bertuzzi, or Heatley (who would look good on a line with Briere like the Canadian team a few years ago) but I'm sick of people going on about how Bertuzzi is the scum of the earth and should be in prison.

I don't like how the result of the Bertuzzi Moore incident ended up but Bertuzzi didn't try to break his neck, his tried to retailiate for a cheap play on the captain. When Kasparitis blew up connolys knee and then Kasparitis wouldn't stand up for himself we all wanted Peters to just go out and smoke the guy. Its no different of a situation. I think Bertuzzi needs a change of scenery just like Heatly needed to get out of Atlanta. He may come to a new city and situation and just start tearing it up again.....or not who knows.

According to Code (again, see link in first post), Vancouver rejected the deal:

"The Canucks have rejected the offer made by the Sabres. The offer was as reported here Biron and a second round pick (06) for Canucks forward Todd Beruzzi. That doesn't mean the talks are done. The Canucks are still interested in Noronen. The Lightning are also talking to the Sabres this morning about Noronen.

A source close to that Canucks that I talked to this morning said "Nonis would like Noronen, but he'll take Cujo, as he and the Coyotes are coming really close to a deal."

The Habs have also made an offer to the Canucks where they would send Abby and a prospect to the Canucks for Todd Bertuzzi. The Habs also have contacted the Lightning to see if they are interested in Abby. The Lightning tried to get Abby from the Avs before he was dealt off to the Habs."

According to Code (again, see link in first post), Vancouver rejected the deal:

"The Canucks have rejected the offer made by the Sabres. The offer was as reported here Biron and a second round pick (06) for Canucks forward Todd Beruzzi. That doesn't mean the talks are done. The Canucks are still interested in Noronen. The Lightning are also talking to the Sabres this morning about Noronen.

A source close to that Canucks that I talked to this morning said "Nonis would like Noronen, but he'll take Cujo, as he and the Coyotes are coming really close to a deal."

The Habs have also made an offer to the Canucks where they would send Abby and a prospect to the Canucks for Todd Bertuzzi. The Habs also have contacted the Lightning to see if they are interested in Abby. The Lightning tried to get Abby from the Avs before he was dealt off to the Habs."

I don't get why they are reporting teams are interested in Noronen. He hasn't reallt proved much of anything at the NHL level.

I believe Bertuzzi tried to fight Moore one on one and Moore would not have it and kept skating away. So Bertuzzi took a swing and hit him in the back of the head. Cheap shot, yes, but That wasn't what put moores career away. It was the fact that when he went down, Bertuzzi fell on top of him and both teams piled ontop of them.

Moore took a shot at the canucks team captain, the canucks tried to retaliate by sending their enforcer out to "Take care of the problem". Moore didn't want to fight someone who was bigger and would definitly win in a fight so he started running.

Was it right for Bertuzzi to do it, not really, but it happens alot. It was an accident just like Heatleys was. If you are going to say Bertuzzi stepped on the ice and said "I'm gonna sneak up behind him and punch him in the head" you also could say Heatley got into his car that night and said "I'm going to push the limits of this sports car and drive dangerously, possibly crashing it"

P.S. Not defending Bertuzzi, or Heatley (who would look good on a line with Briere like the Canadian team a few years ago) but I'm sick of people going on about how Bertuzzi is the scum of the earth and should be in prison.

Bertuzzi "fell" on top of him? It was accidental that he drove Bertuzzi's head into the ice multiple times? OK. "Mom, I didn't MEAN to throw the scissors at Jimmy, it was just an accident." :blink:

P.S. Call it what you want, but you are defending Bertuzzi. :(

I don't get why they are reporting teams are interested in Noronen. He hasn't reallt proved much of anything at the NHL level.

Teams are interested in Noronen because with the exception of the NHL (where he hasn't been given much opportunity) he has excelled at every level he has played at. He has shown signs of brilliance at the NHL level (he has also had some real duds). He will come rather cheap (both in terms of salary and what it will likely take to pry him away from the Sabres). He has (IMO) far more upside potential than Marty has.

His situation is similar to that of Kiprusoff a few years back (not saying he will turn into another Kiprusoff, just that the situation is similar) and Calgary got him for a 2nd rounder.

Dave, we'll have to agree to disagree- sort of. I don't like any of that goon action in the NHL. Leave it in Slap-Shot or the ECHL. You're able to draw that fine line between what Bertuzzi did and what your other examples did. I'm not. I see it all in the same category and as I said, instead of the NHL taking full responsibility for allowing their league to get to that point with soft penalties, they let Bert be the poster boy for violence and gave a free pass to the rest of the bad boys.

I think any number of these things we see could result in serious career-ending injuries. Don't get me wrong, I will never say Bert did the right thing, but I don't think he had any desire to do the damage he did either. I just don't think he's evil.

Archived