Boyton...Good point or Sour Grapes

inkman

Boynton takes dive at Sabres

By Steve Conroy/ Bruins Notebook

Wednesday, March 8, 2006 - Updated: 06:16 AM EST

E-mail article View text version View most popular

BUFFALO - Underneath the surface of their frustration with another loss, there was an anger percolating among some Bruins last night for what they feel is the Buffalo Sabres? penchant for diving.

Nick Boynton was called for three penalties during the 3-2 defeat, the last of which nullified what would have been a Bruin power play midway through the third period. Boynton pushed Daniel Briere after the Sabres co-captain high-sticked B?s goalie Tim Thomas? helmet off his head.

Briere hit the seat of his pants, and Boynton went off to the box with him. Boynton said that was hardly the only instance of diving.

?They?re flopping around like fish out of water. It?s embarrassing,? said the defenseman. ?All you have to do to be a GM now is give your team some acting lessons and you?re all set. They don?t call it both ways. They only call it one way. As soon as you go down, that?s it. They?re supposed to fine guys for diving, but they don?t do it. So hat?s off to them. They play the rules, I guess, the way we have to play them.

?But it?s tough to look at yourself in the mirror after a game when you know you?re flopping around and taking dives and not playing the game the way it should be played.?

Boynton feels it?s nothing new with the Sabres. ?That?s the way they?ve always been in the league, even with the new rules, and they do it well,? he said. ?They fool the refs every time.?

Boynton wasn?t alone in the criticism. David Tanabe, who took one penalty last night and two in Saturday?s loss to Buffalo, was also frustrated.

?You touch a guy, he takes a dive, you get a penalty,? Tanabe said. ?All this is encouraging less physical play.?

On the confrontation with Briere, who was called earlier in the game for a dive, Boynton said, ?If I?d hit him, I?d hit him. He wouldn?t be getting up so easily. I just pushed him. That?s not going to hurt anybody. When you get a penalty like that it?s just painful because that kills our game.

Is it just me or does he not understand obstruction/interference? Whether or not the Sabres are diving, ol' Nicky doesn't seem to be able to adjust to the newly enforced rules. I think it's just sour grapes.

He has a point on briere, but that dumont penalty was legit. Sour grapes to me. The sabres dive, but so does the rest of the league, including the bruins. Think about it this way, if the bruins were challenging for the division lead, and the sabres were in the tank, we'd be the ones complaining about the bruins diving. To the victor goes the spoils.

Maybe next year boston will win some more games and they won't have to rely on press clippings to generate noise.

Is it just me or does he not understand obstruction/interference? Whether or not the Sabres are diving, ol' Nicky doesn't seem to be able to adjust to the newly enforced rules. I think it's just sour grapes.

Sounds like sour grapes to me. He probably should have been more upset with the officials, who I thought called a horrendous game. They were hit or miss on some obvious penalties, blowing two or three calls (at least) and even screwed up by blowing the whistle at the wrong time during delayed penalties.

As for Boynton and Tanabe, I don't remember hearing much from them except when they were taking penalties, but Boynton seemed to have a lot of trouble with the Sabres' speed...

?You touch a guy, he takes a dive, you get a penalty,? Tanabe said.

They do realize the "touch a guy" is a penalty. It's hard to take a complaint for anything more then what it is when they admit to the penalties in the complaint.

It must be tough for Nick to see his entire team being phased out of the NHL. The Bruins are one of the teams that did not believe the rule changes would stick. The guessed wrong and are paying for it.

Nick had better learn to adjust or he will be back on the family farm bagging milk :D

I think the league has been pretty good about limiting diving during the year. The fact that Briere was called for diving proves that. The Bruins announcers wanted diving called on every penalty against their team. If someone dives, they will get a penalty and/or a fine. It's kind of funny how much they were complaining since I thought they could have gotten called for interference a few times last night.

this morning on the Howard Simon show, Howard and Danny Gare were talking about this, and according to them, Boyton said something smililar to this earlier this season but about Montreal. So i guess he has a very good eye for divers. :rolleyes:

lol good joke, i hate this thug.

Who was it that grabbed Dumont by the neck and squeezed right after a whistle?

I can't believe THAT wasn't a penalty. Actually had his fingers over Dumont's jugular.

Anyone else catch this? Of course, NESN pukes didn't say a word about it......

On the confrontation with Briere, who was called earlier in the game for a dive, Boynton said, ?If I?d hit him, I?d hit him. He wouldn?t be getting up so easily. I just pushed him. That?s not going to hurt anybody. When you get a penalty like that it?s just painful because that kills our game.

I hope Peters plays Sunday and pounds Boynton.

I'm not about to claim that the Sabres never dive because all teams do it, but it is possible that smaller players (like Briere or Drury) take a lot less contact to hit the deck than bigger players (like Peters or Pyatt), isn't it? ESPECIALLY when the contact comes from good sized dudes who can't skate and have tendencies to hook, hold, and interfere (like Boynton or Tanabe).

The Bruins stink and it's everyone else's fault? That's some sour grapes right there boys.

That would make Boynton the first :o

I'm not a big Peters fan, but it wasn't long ago he knocked someone out of the game with a solid right hook. Gotta give credit where credit is due.

Size is important, but so is balance, and the smaller players tend to have it more so than the bigger ones.

I'm not a big Peters fan, but it wasn't long ago he knocked someone out of the game with a solid right hook. Gotta give credit where credit is due.

Size is important, but so is balance, and the smaller players tend to have it more so than the bigger ones.

One lucky punch is nothing to base a roster spot on. Peters offers nothing else to the Sabres. No Team in the NHL is worried about Peters. He keeps no team honest.

That was McGratton of the Senators. Peters drilled him and Peters had to call in the refs to break up the fight. It wasn't no lucky punch either. You always need a Peters around. Yeah, Gaustad can stick up for the guys, but you need a tough guy no matter what, whether he starts or not. Just knowing he might be in the game the next time you face them, things may be played differently.

Well, now the dumbass has gotten suspended for making a throat-slashing gesture (apparently, he thought he played football for Florida State and not hockey for the Boston Bruins). Nick, the game has passed you by....

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=158006&hubname=nhl

Why you gotta bag on Florida State? The throat slash is more of a Miami move...

Sorry, as a FSU alum, I gotta get my boys' backs... ;)

Archived