Directv / NHL Center Ice / NHL network

Vaive22

Has anyone else noticed that the upcoming Sabres game on Saturday will not be in HD, if you have NHL center Ice on Directv? Does this still go back to last year, and the supposed dispute between MSG and the NHL? Are CI subscribers never going to see an MSG HD game now?

On another note for DirecTV, I noticed the NHL network is no longer in HD…. It used to be for me and the package I had, but it looks like you have to order a more expensive package to get NHL HD now…. This is on top of not having Versus. I love how they can just adjust channels whenever they want to, even though I am under contract with them….. Anyone else notice the same thing?

Lastly, anyone getting that NHL CenterIce Online, thru NHL.com? I am getting sick of the Directv BS, they really value their customers when they keep screwing them around.

If anybody has any comments on the above, lets here them.....

I feel you bra , the whole no HD in out of market broadcasts from MSG is as is the VS joke, saw a commercial last night while watching the Leafs game stating DTV has dropped VS you will miss these games. What a joke. MSG, DTV and Center Ice need to stop being and broadcast the out of market home games in HD. The ever present pissing and moaning over the almighty dollar is the core of this problem .

The Sabres/Canadiens game is in HD on channel 634 Saturday night.

My channel 215, NHL network is still HD. I have Choice Extra and the only thing I'm missing is Versus due to the Comcast/DirecTV dispute.

I also subscribe to NHL Center Ice on DirecTV and the only games I do not get in HD are the games played in Canada. Last night, both the Canadiens/Leafs and Flames/Canucks games were standard def feeds.

Even with the NHL CI package, you don't get the Versus games. Sucks, but what can I do.

I'll never give Time Warner a dime of my money for TV....internet, yes.

From the snews:

DirecTV is still embroiled in a carriage dispute with Versus that the NHL is desperate to get settled (my advice is to call DirecTV and gripe because I've heard they've been handing out Center Ice discounts).

Meanwhile, Time Warner is offering a complete free preview of Center Ice beginning tonight and carrying through all the games of Oct. 24 if you have digital cable. If you order the package before Halloween, you get an early-bird price of four installments of $40.95. Count me in.

A good article about hockey, HD, and broadcasts:

http://www.buffalonews.com/337/story/813310.html

Yes, it's the same pissing match between the Dolan's and the NHL continuing from last year. So no MSG HD for out of market folks. This is true for all Center Ice subscribers, regardless of providers (cable, sat, fios, etc.) No end in sight on that one.

Versus is off DirecTV for now, but they will give you various incentives if you call to gripe. Hopefully it'll be back soon.

The three week free preview is true of all providers, not just time warner. This includes all the HD games on DirecTV. Some other providers are very limited in how many HD games they show per night.

NHL Network is in HD for me, but I believe you also need to subscribe to their HD access package. If not, then probably only SD.

Comcast has the schedule of CI games totally messed up. Tried to Tivo the MTL game and it's listed as being on tonight!

PTR

Does this mean they aren't showing the game? It's supposed to be on 463 and there is no game listed on the schedule for that channel...

So in essence (being in the Philadelphia area), I will not see any Sabres games in HD this entire season??

Last year I was able to catch the HD feed on D*TV when they played @ home. This is not true this year??

Last year the HD feed for home games was stolen from us (i.e. out-of-towners) about halfway through the season.

If there is no change, I believe the following is the HD situation:

- no Sabres MSG feed (ie Rick and Harry) in HD ever.

- VS games including the Sabres, home and away, will be in HD -- but this assumes DirecTV works it out with VS

- NHL Network will show the Sabres from time to time, usually against a Canadian team -- these are almost always HD

- we'll get opposing teams' HD feeds when those teams play the Sabres IF DirecTV carries those teams' HD feeds -- but note that DirecTV doesn't carry any Canadian teams' HD feeds (or at least they didn't last year), so the 18 total games vs. the Habs, Leafs and Senators will all be SD only UNLESS they are picked up by NHL Network.

- bottom line is that I expect less than half of the Sabres' regular season games to be in HD unless MSG makes the HD feed available to CI.

Non-VS games against opponents

Forgot to mention: my DirecTV guide is randomly showing that the Sabres game will be on in HD tonight on Channel 698-1. This is comcast sports california, so I have no idea why they'd be showing Montreal-Buffalo in HD, and am pretty skeptical. But we might just get lucky.

Forgot to mention: my DirecTV guide is randomly showing that the Sabres game will be on in HD tonight on Channel 698-1. This is comcast sports california, so I have no idea why they'd be showing Montreal-Buffalo in HD, and am pretty skeptical. But we might just get lucky.

Yes, I saw that in the guide, along with of course 638-1. I'll be trying them both out in case someone fell asleep at the switch. Not overly optimistic though.

I have center ice on comcast. The game isn't on, I can't believe it and there are open stations. Anyone else have center ice and it isn't on? I am pissed, is center ice on direct tv or verizon? They say its not being broadcast.

Has anyone else noticed that the upcoming Sabres game on Saturday will not be in HD, if you have NHL center Ice on Directv? Does this still go back to last year, and the supposed dispute between MSG and the NHL? Are CI subscribers never going to see an MSG HD game now?

On another note for DirecTV, I noticed the NHL network is no longer in HD…. It used to be for me and the package I had, but it looks like you have to order a more expensive package to get NHL HD now…. This is on top of not having Versus. I love how they can just adjust channels whenever they want to, even though I am under contract with them….. Anyone else notice the same thing?

Lastly, anyone getting that NHL CenterIce Online, thru NHL.com? I am getting sick of the Directv BS, they really value their customers when they keep screwing them around.

If anybody has any comments on the above, lets here them.....

Interesting post as I was questioning this myself.

I am wondering about the legality of what DirecTV is doing.

Since I live in the DC area, I do not get the Bills or Sabres games. So, for the past few years, Sunday Ticket and Center Ice have been my source of Bills and Sabres games.

My wife and I went out and bought a nice SONY 47" Bravia not too long ago, mostly to enjoy the Bills and Sabres in HD.

Now, both FOX and CBS broadcast their games in HD. It was mentioned on the Sabres site that MSG also will be broadcasting all of their games in HD this year. If I am paying for HD service, and paying for the sport packages, AND the original networks airing these broadcasts ALREADY are broadcasting in HD for free in the Buffalo market, how is it ok for DirecTV to then switch these broadcasts to analog and have an additional fee in order to get them in the HD they are already being broadcast in on their original network?

How is this right?

The first week was a free trial, but the Bills were playing on primetime anyways. When I called for the second game as I was getting the '721' message for Bills- Bucs HD, it was explained to me that I had to pay an additional $100 for the 'SuperFan' package of garbage. I laughed at the guy- since IMO I am ALREADY paying for HD service with the monthly dues and since CBS and FOX AND MSG broadcast in HD, DirecTV should be providing this to its customers WITHOUT additional charges.

But who am I?

Interesting post as I was questioning this myself.

I am wondering about the legality of what DirecTV is doing.

Since I live in the DC area, I do not get the Bills or Sabres games. So, for the past few years, Sunday Ticket and Center Ice have been my source of Bills and Sabres games.

My wife and I went out and bought a nice SONY 47" Bravia not too long ago, mostly to enjoy the Bills and Sabres in HD.

Now, both FOX and CBS broadcast their games in HD. It was mentioned on the Sabres site that MSG also will be broadcasting all of their games in HD this year. If I am paying for HD service, and paying for the sport packages, AND the original networks airing these broadcasts ALREADY are broadcasting in HD for free in the Buffalo market, how is it ok for DirecTV to then switch these broadcasts to analog and have an additional fee in order to get them in the HD they are already being broadcast in on their original network?

How is this right?

The first week was a free trial, but the Bills were playing on primetime anyways. When I called for the second game as I was getting the '721' message for Bills- Bucs HD, it was explained to me that I had to pay an additional $100 for the 'SuperFan' package of garbage. I laughed at the guy- since IMO I am ALREADY paying for HD service with the monthly dues and since CBS and FOX AND MSG broadcast in HD, DirecTV should be providing this to its customers WITHOUT additional charges.

But who am I?

This irritates me BEYOND belief. All games telecast by CBS, ESPN, NFLN and Fox are in HD. How the heck does DTV get away with soaking us 300 bills for watching football and then asking for 100 more to watch a game in HD? DTV gave me free sports networks for 3 months because I have been a customer since 1997. If you want to impress me, give me my Bills in HD. I could care less about regional sports networks.

The whole DirecTV/VS thing is completely unacceptable. Last night, no Rangers-Devils. Tonight, no Philly-Washington. That is a high-quality game. I can't believe I can't watch it.

I've sent DirecTV 3 emails so far. They receive and answer each one with the same crap said differently each time.

"Thank you for being a loyal customer. We understand your frustration. Versus is requesting a 20% rate hike in their carrying fee and we do not want to pass that on to the consumer. We are working diligently to come to an agreement with Comcast."

I spend money on stupid sports #%^$#! every week, it is my passion. I don't care if they pass the #%^$#!ing fee on to me. I pay $40.00 extra 4 months a year already for NHL Center Ice. Bottom line is: give me my god damned HD hockey!

I spend money on stupid sports #%^$#! every week, it is my passion. I don't care if they pass the #%^$#!ing fee on to me. I pay $40.00 extra 4 months a year already for NHL Center Ice. Bottom line is: give me my god damned HD hockey!

Fire it up George, fire it up.

Pete Sampras can kiss my ass. :pirate:

I've sent DirecTV 3 emails so far. They receive and answer each one with the same crap said differently each time.

"Thank you for being a loyal customer. We understand your frustration. Versus is requesting a 20% rate hike in their carrying fee and we do not want to pass that on to the consumer. We are working diligently to come to an agreement with Comcast."

I was told the same thing. Call and bitch and demand more for your money. I did and got Center Ice for half price. The rep I dealt with gave me this answer also. DTV has exclusive NFL coverage with the Sunday Ticket and Comcast wants a piece of the pie. Comcast raised the rates to DTV only no other cable or satelite was affected. So it boils down to DTV not wanting to give up anything regarding the NFL Sunday ticket. The same rep also said if VS is brought back on DTV it will be an additional charge to you to have it .

I was told the same thing. Call and bitch and demand more for your money. I did and got Center Ice for half price. The rep I dealt with gave me this answer also. DTV has exclusive NFL coverage with the Sunday Ticket and Comcast wants a piece of the pie. Comcast raised the rates to DTV only no other cable or satelite was affected. So it boils down to DTV not wanting to give up anything regarding the NFL Sunday ticket. The same rep also said if VS is brought back on DTV it will be an additional charge to you to have it .

And I just realized last night that they pulled ESPN Classic off my package, too. Bastards!

Archived