Messier introduces helmet to reduce concussions

nfreeman

My initial thought was does it come in a full body armor to protect against general body soreness?

My second thought was that the last thing the players need is more armor. If you want to cut down the number of head injuries first try putting someone in charge of supplemental discipline instead of that moron Colin Campbell. Secondly they should be stripping away layers of body armor the players are wearing. There are far too many players in the NHL that wear more protection than NFL players. There is no need for players to be wearing hard plastic shields on the points of their elbows and shoulders. Players would be less likely to go for kill shots if it were muscle and bone and against muscle and bone.

But where do you draw the line between it be protection and weapon? The NFL players don't play in a confined area, with solid perimeters of plastic and glass.

My initial thought was does it come in a full body armor to protect against general body soreness?

My second thought was that the last thing the players need is more armor. If you want to cut down the number of head injuries first try putting someone in charge of supplemental discipline instead of that moron Colin Campbell. Secondly they should be stripping away layers of body armor the players are wearing. There are far too many players in the NHL that wear more protection than NFL players. There is no need for players to be wearing hard plastic shields on the points of their elbows and shoulders. Players would be less likely to go for kill shots if it were muscle and bone and against muscle and bone.

Wow. I agree with everything in this post other than the notion that better helmets are not advisable. These guys don't use their heads as weapons in the same way as they use their shoulders and elbows.

Wow. I agree with everything in this post other than the notion that better helmets are not advisable. These guys don't use their heads as weapons in the same way as they use their shoulders and elbows.

True. Better helmets and less shoulder and elbow pads would go a long way to reduce the number of concussions.

I'm sure deluca can speak for himself, but I was under the impression that he wasn't talking about helmets there, just everything else they wear.

Do you agree with the claim that Tim missed games because of general body soreness? IIRC, that was Lindy's cover story before it was revealed that Tim had a broken rib or broken ribs.

I'm sure deluca can speak for himself, but I was under the impression that he wasn't talking about helmets there, just everything else they wear.

I think he would much rather that I speak for him on this, as well as on all other matters.

Do you agree with the claim that Tim missed games because of general body soreness? IIRC, that was Lindy's cover story before it was revealed that Tim had a broken rib or broken ribs.

No, Mr. wise guy. I was ignoring that part as the obligatory Deluca shot at TC.

The equipment today's players are wearing is creating a sense of invincibility among some players. Creating better equipment is just going to increase that feeling of invincibility. In theory the helmet Messier is promoting should lessen the chance of serious head injuries. It could actually have a reverse effect if players feel they can take more chances because of the helmet. I guess I have a more old school opinion on the matter. If you want to take head injuries out of the game, ban players from wearing any type of helmet.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Plastic should be eliminated on elbow and shoulder pads. Getting hit in the head with hard plastic does a lot more damage then leather or synthetic padding.

Archived