[Game Day] Bruins @ Sabres 7:00PM

SabresBeat

I realize the Sabres are looking for much more than just making the playoffs, but here are a few random notes with slightly more than 1/4 of the season remaining.

The Sabres magic # for a playoff spot is currently 12. Any combination of 12 Sabres wins and/or 12 Atlanta regulation losses and the Sabres are officially in the tourney for the 1st time in 5 years.

If the Sabres get a point in tonight's game they will guarantee there is no mathematical way for them to finish dead last. They could forfeit the rest of the season and STILL finish ahead of Pittsburgh. If the Pens win out, the most they can get this season is 81 points. The Pens are impressive, with 21 games to go, they have clinched a losing record.

The Sabres are currently on pace for the league's 4th best record.

What a difference 2 years and enforcement of the rules make.

I realize the Sabres are looking for much more than just making the playoffs, but here are a few random notes with slightly more than 1/4 of the season remaining.

The Sabres magic # for a playoff spot is currently 12. Any combination of 12 Sabres wins and/or 12 Atlanta regulation losses and the Sabres are officially in the tourney for the 1st time in 5 years.

If the Sabres get a point in tonight's game they will guarantee there is no mathematical way for them to finish dead last. They could forfeit the rest of the season and STILL finish ahead of Pittsburgh. If the Pens win out, the most they can get this season is 81 points. The Pens are impressive, with 21 games to go, they have clinched a losing record.

The Sabres are currently on pace for the league's 4th best record.

What a difference 2 years and enforcement of the rules make.

BTW, two more wins to match the '03-04 point total.

Anyone know who the starting goalie is tonight? Do you think Marty deserves another start? Cuz I sure as hell do, especially if we are planning on keeping him and not trading him.

The Bruins are frustrated over losing that last one to us. After the game Raycroft said its frustrating when "we play as good as they do and it's not enough to win." I think Thomas gets the start in goal for the B's tonight. They know there are trades coming too, which might weigh on their players' minds. I say 4-2 Buffalo

Anyone know who the starting goalie is tonight? Do you think Marty deserves another start? Cuz I sure as hell do, especially if we are planning on keeping him and not trading him.

The Bruins are frustrated over losing that last one to us. After the game Raycroft said its frustrating when "we play as good as they do and it's not enough to win." I think Thomas gets the start in goal for the B's tonight. They know there are trades coming too, which might weigh on their players' minds. I say 4-2 Buffalo

Well, it's moot now since Miller got the start, but I couldn't disagree with you more. Miller has proven that he is the starter. Biron is the backup. Biron should only get starts when Miller needs rest. No goalie controversies in March.

Anyone get a good look at Roy's shot? I thought that was in.

eh, it was close.. looked like a save to me though.

I hate to harp on the announcers again, cause its a moot point, but they called out dumont for taking a dive on that last penalty. I understand being a homer, but being an idiot is a different story.

I hate to harp on the announcers again, cause its a moot point, but they called out dumont for taking a dive on that last penalty. I understand being a homer, but being an idiot is a different story.

lol, ya, that Boston moron totally tossed out his leg, that was a penalty. As a matter of fact, Boston takes a lot of dumb penalties

They accused him of diving last game. I saw the replay. It was hard to tell either way. I agree with the call. I think if it had been called a goal on the ice, it probably would have stood on review. I think the standard is that there must be conclusive evidence that it was not what was called on the ice...But, I am looking at a rulebook and can't find any language that sets out any kind of standard. Dave, do you know? And which rule?

i think the rule is that there has to be conclusive evidence.

and by the way, WE NEED A COACH LIKE THE BRUINS HAVE!!

The "ice shavings" segment where sullivan was micked.... my god. a new standard for unintentional comedy!

crap. 2-1 bruins

You know I just went ahead and double checked the standings. Someone should tell the Bruins announcers they are in 10th, not the best team in the league!

but they're the mighty boston bruins. With a little bit of grit, some large bahston bahlls, and a whole lot of instestinal fortitude, they'll win the presidents trophy.

and my lord,. if i have to see seabass driving a jeep commander and making witty comments, i'm going to scream! I'll gladly take brown & chiari, william mattar, and walden dodge any day of the week!

but they're the mighty boston bruins. With a little bit of grit, some large bahston bahlls, and a whole lot of instestinal fortitude, they'll win the presidents trophy.

Hey, is anyone else sick of Tanabe? That is the second player he's knocked into the goalie that's taken a penalty. Granted the Briere one is matching, but come on!

Hey, is anyone else sick of Tanabe? That is the second player he's knocked into the goalie that's taken a penalty. Granted the Briere one is matching, but come on!

I'm sick of the bruins period. At least its 2-2 now and these announcerrs now have to pull their manchild fantasy comments out of nowhere

I'm sick of the bruins period. At least its 2-2 now and these announcerrs now have to pull their manchild fantasy comments out of nowhere

Haha, my 2 personal favorites.

They accused Briere of not trying to avoid Thomas, in fact they said he tried to make more contact then necessary. Because, yeah Briere wanted to kick him in the face.

And, that the call on Boynton was a gift PP. Have they read a rulebook? They also thought Hecht grabbed Boynton on the play...um yeah!

ok, since we;re all getting off on the bruins, like the tv guys, what's with thomas' helmet? First of all, the chin piece is chopped off and a refabricated bar is in its place. Then there's the paintjob. A yellow road sign with a bear in the middle and the slogan "beware of bear". Come on thomas... if you're going to be taken seriously, its time to upgrade the paintjob.

and on second thought,. i'll take more cam neely. he'll always remind me of one of my favorite movies.

by the way, the department store not named jc penney's just scored.

Haha, my 2 personal favorites.

They accused Briere of not trying to avoid Thomas, in fact they said he tried to make more contact then necessary. Because, yeah Briere wanted to kick him in the face.

And, that the call on Boynton was a gift PP. Have they read a rulebook? They also thought Hecht grabbed Boynton on the play...um yeah!

This *almost* makes me want to change to the Boston radio feed. Damn, if RJ and JL weren't so good, I'd be having a good laugh right now.

3-2 buffalo, and it appears that the sabres have regained their confidence, and the bruins have lost all of theirs.

juju, this broadcast team has gone way beyond the "thank god we have RJ and JL" and its entering the "Pat Summeral in Madden" quality. All in all, its the same either way. Sabres are now kicking butt, no matter who's in the press box.

They accused him of diving last game. I saw the replay. It was hard to tell either way. I agree with the call. I think if it had been called a goal on the ice, it probably would have stood on review. I think the standard is that there must be conclusive evidence that it was not what was called on the ice...But, I am looking at a rulebook and can't find any language that sets out any kind of standard. Dave, do you know? And which rule?

This would fall under 5 different rules: 35 (referee), 37 (goal judge), 57 (goals and assists), 81 (puck out of sight), and 93 (video goal judge). Technically, if the ref loses sight of the puck, he is supposed to blow the whistle under rule 81, so no goal would be able to be scored. Rule 57 states that the puck must fully cross the goal line to score a goal. The video review judge has a very limited number of situations that he reviews / looks for. According to rule 35, the ref has the final decision on disputed goals, so if the video replay is not conclusive, then his call on the ice would stand.