[OT] Gilbert Perreault makes a comeback!?

PASabreFan

So I have a bit of a TV golf hankering. I turned on one of those abominable celebrity golf tournaments. Brett Hull tees off. Then Dan Marino. Then Emmitt Smith drains a long-ass putt. I was afraid to watch any longer, lest Bernie Parent hole out from the bunker. I did see the leader board -- at least one good guy was doing well. In the lead: Grant Fuhr!

Not really. But Tom Watson, who's 59 to Bert's 58, is leading the British Open! I find it absolutely amazing.

it is amazing.

but the fact that watson can do this at the age of 60 (oh, just give it to him) points up the reality that golf is a "sport" quite unlike sports such as hockey, baseball, football, basketball, and the like. i ain't saying that golf's on par (HA!) with bowling or darts, but it's somewhere's betwixt and between hockey and billiards.

it is amazing.

but the fact that watson can do this at the age of 60 (oh, just give it to him) points up the reality that golf is a "sport" quite unlike sports such as hockey, baseball, football, basketball, and the like. i ain't saying that golf's on par (HA!) with bowling or darts, but it's somewhere's betwixt and between hockey and billiards.

Sure. But it's not like guys his age win majors, or threaten to win majors. Or any tournament on the regular tour. It's astounding. These guys are in excellent shape by the way. The physical act of swinging a golf club is no small feat.

Sure. But it's not like guys his age win majors, or threaten to win majors. Or any tournament on the regular tour. It's astounding. These guys are in excellent shape by the way. The physical act of swinging a golf club is no small feat.

Because it combines a lot of hand-eye coordination and muscle memory. It's not as physical as hockey, football, or anything in that genre, but there is enough work to do to swing a club for 18 holes.

As a 3-handicap golfer myself, I don't believe one can appreciate this enough. Winning any golf tournament takes a monumental amount of mental fortitude, combined with the physical stamina created by the mental pressures. Doing this in a major magnifies all of this geometrically. Watson has done this before, but at his age, it's phenomenal.

3 holes to go...1 stroke lead.

What a shame. Tom will be haunted by that second shot on 18. Whether it was the wind, adrenaline or a bad bounce...

I'm never rooting for anyone in a golf tournament again. It turned out in an oh so familiar way.

What a shame. Tom will be haunted by that second shot on 18. Whether it was the wind, adrenaline or a bad bounce...

I'm never rooting for anyone in a golf tournament again. It turned out in an oh so familiar way.

Many were saying how it could have been a great story...but it was a great story anyway.

I think the putt is what will haunt him. He knew he missed it the second he hit it. I don't know what happened there.

I think the putt is what will haunt him. He knew he missed it the second he hit it. I don't know what happened there.

I've had that putt about 100 times and missed it about 98. His stroke had no confidence, so I think the nerves inexplicably got to him. He had been playing with confidence all week and it eluded him on Sunday.

Apparently, even a grizzled veteran of several majors can get nervous.

I've had that putt about 100 times and missed it about 98. His stroke had no confidence, so I think the nerves inexplicably got to him. He had been playing with confidence all week and it eluded him on Sunday.

Apparently, even a grizzled veteran of several majors can get nervous.

You've had 100 putts to win the British Open?!

OK, you got me. :doh:

But I have had plenty of putts from 10 feet for par/birdie and did the exact thing Watson did.

This has been the knock on Watson for years, no? Kind of cruel, really, that at his age it would reach up and bite him again. Sort of seals his legacy in that regard. Almost like Miller coming back in 20 years, getting the Sabres into a Stanley Cup final Game 7 OT and allowing a shot from the blue line to float over his glove.

This has been the knock on Watson for years, no? Kind of cruel, really, that at his age it would reach up and bite him again. Sort of seals his legacy in that regard. Almost like Miller coming back in 20 years, getting the Sabres into a Stanley Cup final Game 7 OT and allowing a shot from the blue line to float over his glove.

No one here is saying that Tom Watson had that legendary win at the British Open way back in (I think it was) 1980 or 1982. I remember that walk up the fairway on the 18th on one of those years and the crowds surrounding him from the rear.

There is no need for him to hang his head in shame for what just happened. It just goes to show that the man still has it in him.

Exccuse me but getting back to Mr. Gilbert Perreault, the idol of Buffalo hockey of the 70s, I was talking to a 40 year veteran hockey coach here in Boston and we marvelled at his skating but the coach said Perreault didn't play defense. I never really considered that. He mentioned that Mario Lemieux was very much like a big Perreault. And then he praised Michael Peca and his tough ways. Which reminded me what Muckler said in trying to explain the Mogilny for Peca deal: that Buffalo was going to love Peca because he's pretty much in the mold of what the city is,

gritty, tough and hardworking. I wish Regier would get more players in this mold that the fans can get behind.

Archived