Spacek signed by Montreal

North Buffalo

I am not sure about Spacek's price tag and if he is worth it, but I can't believe that they let him go to a division rival who is obviously spending this off season. Marcy Darcy is at work is pulling a NY State Senate maneuver... How really knows what is going on in that mind but he seems like takes one step forward and two back every time he is confronted with an opportunity.

I am not sure about Spacek's price tag and if he is worth it, but I can't believe that they let him go to a division rival who is obviously spending this off season. Marcy Darcy is at work is pulling a NY State Senate maneuver... How really knows what is going on in that mind but he seems like takes one step forward and two back every time he is confronted with an opportunity.

The hab defense will be okay.....but if they don't get a right handed shot on D, they are going to have some problems.

How do you prevent an UFA from signing with a particular team?

By signing him yourself.

So you would have been OK with them overpaying for a 35-year old coming off a career year just to keep him from playing for Montreal? You have a lot more confidence in Spacek's ability repeat that season and earn that money at 37 and 38 years old than I do. Odds are he never has another season like the one he just had. The Sabres have all kinds of problems to bitch about but this really isn't one of them.

So you would have been OK with them overpaying for a 35-year old coming off a career year just to keep him from playing for Montreal? You have a lot more confidence in Spacek's ability repeat that season and earn that money at 37 and 38 years old than I do. Odds are he never has another season like the one he just had. The Sabres have all kinds of problems to bitch about but this really isn't one of them.

Why not, given the lack of offensive defensemen they have, less than 5 a year seems like a bargain. Also he seems to keep himself in great shape and his booming shot from the point is sorely needed. And heck he still skates well, doesn't make many mistakes defensively.... could be a more consistent hitter, but at his age? Your right.... But the Sabres need the offense and puck movement from the D and other than Butler (young) and Lydman sometimes, it is an area they are seriously lacking now.

Then if you are going to do that, who else to replace him??? I guess you could go out and get Kotalik and have him play D.... sarcasm. But who on the Sabres can shoot from the point??? Pommer, if he gets it on net and he isn't a D, nor can he move the puck well. Who if you are serious about the Sabres making progress.... more rookies?

Why not, given the lack of offensive defensemen they have, less than 5 a year seems like a bargain. Also he seems to keep himself in great shape and his booming shot from the point is sorely needed. And heck he still skates well, doesn't make many mistakes defensively.... could be a more consistent hitter, but at his age? Your right.... But the Sabres need the offense and puck movement from the D and other than Butler (young) and Lydman sometimes, it is an area they are seriously lacking now.

Then if you are going to do that, who else to replace him??? I guess you could go out and get Kotalik and have him play D.... sarcasm. But who on the Sabres can shoot from the point??? Pommer, if he gets it on net and he isn't a D, nor can he move the puck well. Who if you are serious about the Sabres making progress.... more rookies?

Funny, if Spacek still does all that SO well and to you is a bargain at anything less than $5 million a year, where the hell were all the offers from the other 28 teams? Why did he settle for less than $4 million a year?

Funny, if Spacek still does all that SO well and to you is a bargain at anything less than $5 million a year, where the hell were all the offers from the other 28 teams? Why did he settle for less than $4 million a year?

Canadian media, hate, hate, hate this move by Gainey.

I think it makes a certain amount of sense for them, but that is a huge commitment....

That same deal for Buffalo would have had a high opportunity cost.

Too bad he rarely hits the net. I'll take Butler lobbing them in for deflections over Spach's Zhitnik-cannon anyday.

Other than Bouwmeester, who on the free agent market has Spaceks skills. I said $5 because you are right, he got less than 4. I would have gone up to $5 to keep him given what is out there for only three years.... You could have made the third year an option, whatever. Either way the Sabres had room to keep him and dump Tallinder and trade Lydman.

Butler will be wonderful and so will Sekera once he becomes a more consistent D, but with the signing of Montador, keeping Spacek would have been nice for a couple of years. Spacek, Rivet, Lydman and Montador??? Not too bad and you have the young one's Butler, Sekera, Weber and Myers ready to oust any of them should they falter or get injured. The D would be set for a while and they could concentrate on the forwards more. Also, Tallinder becomes expendable.

Some one please light a fire under Stafford. One day he is on, another he is pulling a GWB and chasing girls. Focus!

Overpaying.... please.

Other than Bouwmeester, who on the free agent market has Spaceks skills. I said $5 because you are right, he got less than 4. I would have gone up to $5 to keep him given what is out there for only three years.... You could have made the third year an option, whatever. Either way the Sabres had room to keep him and dump Tallinder and trade Lydman.

Butler will be wonderful and so will Sekera once he becomes a more consistent D, but with the signing of Montador, keeping Spacek would have been nice for a couple of years. Spacek, Rivet, Lydman and Montador??? Not too bad and you have the young one's Butler, Sekera, Weber and Myers ready to oust any of them should they falter or get injured. The D would be set for a while and they could concentrate on the forwards more. Also, Tallinder becomes expendable.

Some one please light a fire under Stafford. One day he is on, another he is pulling a GWB and chasing girls. Focus!

Overpaying.... please.

You obviously have no clue how the NHL salary system works. They can't just "dump" Tallinder without still paying him and having him count against the cap. Besides, it's not just about "having room" ... it's about overpaying Spacek for a career year he is unlikley to ever repeat because he is past his prime and he never had a season like that when he was in his prime. A year from now when he returns to form are you just going to want to "dump" him like you are with Tallinder?

Besides, if you have so much faith in those young guys, they are still 7 deep ... why not spend that $5 million burning a hole in your pocket to "concentrate on the forwards more" ??

You obviously have no clue how the NHL salary system works. They can't just "dump" Tallinder without still paying him and having him count against the cap. Besides, it's not just about "having room" ... it's about overpaying Spacek for a career year he is unlikley to ever repeat because he is past his prime and he never had a season like that when he was in his prime. A year from now when he returns to form are you just going to want to "dump" him like you are with Tallinder?

Besides, if you have so much faith in those young guys, they are still 7 deep ... why not spend that $5 million burning a hole in your pocket to "concentrate on the forwards more" ??

I agree on the later part of your argument. But that doesn't look like it is going to happen... Gionta is gone to Montreal. There are others out there, but still a bird in hand is always better and Spacek still had some upside. I do like the up and coming D, just not for a couple of years. So basically you are saying the Sabres are rebuilding again... Another year to write off...

I agree on the later part of your argument. But that doesn't look like it is going to happen... Gionta is gone to Montreal. There are others out there, but still a bird in hand is always better and Spacek still had some upside. I do like the up and coming D, just not for a couple of years. So basically you are saying the Sabres are rebuilding again... Another year to right off...

If you are talking about winning the Cup, yes, I would predict you can write off this year ... but even if they did sign Spacek at that silly $5 million/year price tag ... do you really think they were in the mix? If you want them to build a Cup winning team, they can't overpay for 35-year olds. If you consider that rebuilding, then yes, they are. Considering they missed the playoffs with Spacek the last two years, they were rebuilding with or without him.

We just have to agree to disagree I guess ... I can't refer to a 35-year old guy who just had his best season in a contract year as "still having some upside." We just saw his upside. Unless he is working with Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens in the offseason, he's not getting better at age 36+.

If you are talking about winning the Cup, yes, I would predict you can write off this year ... but even if they did sign Spacek at that silly $5 million/year price tag ... do you really think they were in the mix? If you want them to build a Cup winning team, they can't overpay for 35-year olds. If you consider that rebuilding, then yes, they are. Considering they missed the playoffs with Spacek the last two years, they were rebuilding with or without him.

We just have to agree to disagree I guess ... I can't refer to a 35-year old guy who just had his best season in a contract year as "still having some upside." We just saw his upside. Unless he is working with Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens in the offseason, he's not getting better at age 36+.

I don't think they are that far off, especially on D if they had kept Spacek... ? Do any of the D listed just above have a decent point shot or can they move the puck? If so get one for cheaper, I know the names, and the grit, just not their shots? I don't seem to remember any of them being puck movers.

Finally, if there is one glaring weakness on the Sabres is a the lack of a nifty, but gritty centerman. We have niffty and we have gritty, just not both except Roy who doesn't have the size. But I will take two Roy's any day.

I don't think they are that far off, especially on D if they had kept Spacek... ? Do any of the D listed just above have a decent point shot or can they move the puck? If so get one for cheaper, I know the names, and the grit, just not their shots? I don't seem to remember any of them being puck movers.

Finally, if there is one glaring weakness on the Sabres is a the lack of a nifty, but gritty centerman. We have niffty and we have gritty, just not both except Roy who doesn't have the size. But I will take two Roy's any day.

Are you saying last years team was close to the Cup?

Aucoin is gone.

Yep. Boumester made him redundant.

I'd relax about this though.....Buffalo is looking to replace 4 goals and 18 assists on the PP with Spacho gone.

What I think is more important is replacing the minutes, and separating people from the puck a little more...not so much his offensive production.

That is not to say he isn't going to be missed, but Markov might do very well to help him uncork that shot.

One name no one is mentioning that will come up in the powerplay point man rotation next year has to be Mancari.

I was waiting until this would be brought up. I hope its not true. I would hate to see him smash Vanek with that 117 mph slapper in the head while he is parked outside the crease. At least with Spacho you knew it wasn't going near the net.

I was waiting until this would be brought up. I hope its not true. I would hate to see him smash Vanek with that 117 mph slapper in the head while he is parked outside the crease. At least with Spacho you knew it wasn't going near the net.

The problem with Spach wasn't that he missed as much as he needed so much space to get it off.

Then if you are going to do that, who else to replace him???

Darcy was quoted in the Buff News as saying what they want to accomplish they will do with trades. I'll take him at his word. I think a lot of people are really underestimating Sekera's emergence on the D. His offensive potential will continue to grow, as will Butler's.

Darcy was quoted in the Buff News as saying what they want to accomplish they will do with trades. I'll take him at his word. I think a lot of people are really underestimating Sekera's emergence on the D. His offensive potential will continue to grow, as will Butler's.

Oh, I think you are right about those two and I like Weber's stay at home tough on the puck mentality. He can move the puck when he wants to also. Those three combined with Meyers will be great!

Oh, I think you are right about those two and I like Weber's stay at home tough on the puck mentality. He can move the puck when he wants to also. Those three combined with Meyers will be great!

The organ-eye-zation soured a little on Weber's progress. I think injury had a little to do with that and he seems like the sort of player that will work harder to prove he is ready but at some point the Sabres need to be concerned with all the youth on the back end. I can't imagine Myers, Butler and Weber in the lineup at the same time this coming season.

Archived