Spacek signed by Montreal

North Buffalo

The organ-eye-zation soured a little on Weber's progress. I think injury had a little to do with that and he seems like the sort of player that will work harder to prove he is ready but at some point the Sabres need to be concerned with all the youth on the back end. I can't imagine Myers, Butler and Weber in the lineup at the same time this coming season.

I could see that.....but usually it is injury/necessity.

If Myers/Butler are on the roster out of camp.....Weber is probably the first call-up.

The organ-eye-zation soured a little on Weber's progress. I think injury had a little to do with that and he seems like the sort of player that will work harder to prove he is ready but at some point the Sabres need to be concerned with all the youth on the back end. I can't imagine Myers, Butler and Weber in the lineup at the same time this coming season.

Why not if they are not serious about contending for the cup they should go for it and see if these guys can build some chemistry?

I am not sure about Spacek's price tag and if he is worth it, but I can't believe that they let him go to a division rival who is obviously spending this off season. Marcy Darcy is at work is pulling a NY State Senate maneuver... How really knows what is going on in that mind but he seems like takes one step forward and two back every time he is confronted with an opportunity.

The Canadiens moves wreaked of desperation. Can't get Vinny, couldn't get Heatley.

Lost Koivu and Kovalev.

Traded for overpaid, underproducing Gomez with a 7 million dollar contract.

Lost Komisarek and basically shat themselves.

Signed Spacek, Gionta and Cammalleri...overpaying for all 3 in the process. 5 mill/season for Gionta and his 20 goals is off the charts insane!

I loved Spacho in his time here. I wish they could have signed him, but not for 3 years.

I do believe there will be a trade or two coming. Not blockbusters, but trades of value.

The Habs are paying over 11 million for 3 years. Since Spacek is over 35 they are on the hook for that entire deal no matter what. Is Spacek worth 3.8 million a year? How odd that he had a good year in his contract year. 2004-2005 was Jaro's last contract year. He scored 12G 31A 43pts that year, up from 5G 17A in his last NHL year of 2003. He landed a big deal with the Slugs and promptly dropped off to 5G 16A and 9G 23A the next two years before coming out with 8G and a career high 37A in his contract year.

Anybody wanna take bets what happens next year?

I'll go first and say 6G 20A +2 You wanna pay 3.8 for that? Lydman's given you that for the last two years for 3 mil+ and we're trying to give him away for pucks right now.

Never heard that yet. Me likey Ludy.

Well, I am neither here nor there on Spacho.

I thought of him as a salary saver when they let McKee go. Never really took to him, as many have posted here loved the hard shot but it never got anywhere near the net and he DID need way too much space to wind up and shoot. (And could anyone understand him when he spoke?)

I also take into consideration the talk about him playing up for contract years.

But as far as the age stuff goes, none of us can really tell. Bonds jokes notwithstanding, he could turn into another Chelios or Numminen and play at a decent level until he reaches 40.

Or he could fall flat on his face and be so-so for the Habs.

Who knows?

Archived