#66 Brayden McNabb LD

carpandean

http://nhldraftnotes.blogspot.com/2009/05/...otenay-whl.html

Strengths: Excellent size and uses it well. Rugged style and a good fighter. Underrated puck moving ability.

Weaknesses: Skating is seriously flawed. No real offensive upside.

Stock has taken a beating after disastrous showing at U-18 in Fargo. Difficulties in pivoting and backward stride have been exposed against top level competition.

Skating aside, there is a lot to like, however. Has more puck moving ability than he gets credit for. Decent PP ability at the junior level, but projects to be a pure stay-at-home guy at the next level.

Likes to play a physical style. Throws big open-ice hits and effectively uses his big size down low. Especially good at the hip check along the boards. Has a long reach and knows how to use it. Good d-zone positioning and keeps opponents to the outside. Good fighter and very willing to drop the gloves.

Summary: Like Chris Durand's horrible showing in the 2005 Top Prospects Game because of skating issues, you have take account of the fact that he's in serious trouble against good-skating opponents. It's unfortunate, because I really like this guy's toughness and physical style. But you can't spend too high a pick on a player that is going to have to show an awful lot of improvement in skating to even be able to compete at the next level. Might be worth converting to forward once he gets to professional hockey.

Draft Day: Two conflicting things make him a wildcard: 1) the tough Western League players always go higher than you think, vs. 2) a bad performance on the final scouting stage (U-18s) can sink you pretty fast. Could go anywhere between the 2nd and 4th rounds.

Big, physical stay-at-home defenseman who has skating issues. TSN blamed his coaches at the U-18 for his poor showing because they wanted him to be more conservative than he likes to play. They also said that it was a great pick for the Sabres.

Sabres next pick is 104? I think that is right without looking it up. Marcus Foligno should be available and that would be a great pick IMO. Gritty winger. I know it's aiming a little light, but he could be real good 3rd or 4th line for years to come. Which could be good value for the 3rd. Won't be a star though.

http://nhldraftnotes.blogspot.com/2009/05/...otenay-whl.html

Big, physical stay-at-home defenseman who has skating issues. TSN blamed his coaches at the U-18 for his poor showing because they wanted him to be more conservative than he likes to play. They also said that it was a great pick for the Sabres.

Interesting spackulation, if I can steal an x-benediction.....

But Carp, What im not clear on are you promoting this pick or just playing eckland for the day ?

Interesting spackulation, if I can steal an x-benediction.....

But Carp, What im not clear on are you promoting this pick or just playing eckland for the day ?

Huh? After they picked him, I posted his info, summarized it and added a little of what the guys on TSN said after the pick. Eck talks about things that haven't and likely won't happen. We drafted this kid; it's on the books.

Sabres next pick is 104? I think that is right without looking it up. Marcus Foligno should be available and that would be a great pick IMO. Gritty winger. I know it's aiming a little light, but he could be real good 3rd or 4th line for years to come. Which could be good value for the 3rd. Won't be a star though.

laughing here....

Lindy probably wanted Nick a few years ago.

Good Call. :thumbsup:

Seems to be an organ-eye-zation philosophical change. Minus one midget D, a bigger rugged draft class, so far.

Think Larry will continue to push New NHL type rules? Watch, these kids will be on the roster in 2-3 years and the league will go back to a finesse game.

Huh? After they picked him, I posted his info, summarized it and added a little of what the guys on TSN said after the pick. Eck talks about things that haven't and likely won't happen. We drafted this kid; it's on the books.

oops :bag: thats what happens when your reading the blogs first inbetween coaching little league baseball games vs going right to the TSN's of the world....

Still interesting pick when we already have allot of defenseman in the pipeline although not quite this brutish.... gotta wonder if this is the Burke effect in the east and/or Philly Pronger precedent...

Think Larry will continue to push New NHL type rules? Watch, these kids will be on the roster in 2-3 years and the league will go back to a finesse game.

That's such a good point. But I think the rules will stay the way the are and are called. A lot of the hooking and use of the stick on opposing players bodies has been addressed and people generally like it how it is now.

Archived