Darcy looking for a scorer

Two or less

From The Fourth Period-

Sabres GM Darcy Regier has been working the phones, trying to pull the trigger on a significant trade to bolster his roster, two sources told TFP.

It's uncertain as to the exact type of player the Sabres are trying to acquire, however it's believed they are looking to add another top-six forward. The club has solid depth at both ends of the rink, but could benefit having from another scoring forward and a puck-moving defenseman.

The Sabres have around $8.7 million in available cap space. While that's not an excessive amount, it's believed Regier's attempts at strengthening his club might mean a roster player is shipped out of town.

Buffalo will not be re-signing unrestricted free agent Maxim Afinogenov and various reports have claimed the Sabres are shopping forward Jochen Hecht.

Link- http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/buf090626.html

Patrick Marleau comes to mind. SJ has been trying to get rid of him. Not sure if we have the package though. I know they want some veterans, so maybe Tallinder or Hecht would be included in the deal.

Patrick Marleau comes to mind. SJ has been trying to get rid of him. Not sure if we have the package though. I know they want some veterans, so maybe Tallinder or Hecht would be included in the deal.

I know we have the package -- Brian Burke's example for the Islanders trading the #1 pick this year if someone offered Snow 10 first-round picks comes to mind as an illustration that every team has the package -- but I doubt that it would include Hecht or Tallinder. If it did include either of those two and not this year's first or Myers (I want to see what he becomes), I'd take almost any reasonable deal.

I was hoping it was Marleau that was coming back to Buffalo in the Campbell trade and not Steve Bernier. I like Marleau. I think the Sabres need one more centerman and a second line left winger. I think they need to acquire an offensive defenseman or re-sign Spacek and get one more stay-at-home defenseman. Those are the four moves the Sabres need to make this offseason to get in position to compete in the East. Personally, I don't think any of these positions can be filled by Gerbe, Kennedy, or Mancari. However, I'd be okay with creating roster space for those guys if that means shipping out players to make room for the acquisitions above.

I don't think the Sabres are going to trade Myers, Gerbe, Kennedy, or Butler. I think those four guys are untouchable this weekend. Personally, my opinion on this is that if the Sabres are to make any major moves this weekend, they will involve Drew Stafford, Tallinder, Hecht, and possibly Paille and a first round pick either this year or next year. Stafford is the highest valued asset the Sabres own that will get anything on the trade market and he's an RFA. Tallinder and Hecht take up too much salary and have regressed but probably have some value on the open market. Personally, I think Hecht is more worth keeping than Tallinder, I just think he had a down year. Paille is young and can still get something of value in a trade. I'm hoping Paille can turn in Darren Helm because he's fast, can hit, and good defensively, but if it doesn't happen, you need to cut bait with him.

I hope the rumor is true. This team needs a few changes. I don't think a major overhaul is necessary, but a trade or two is definitely necessary.

I've never come across that site before. Are they any good? I'm not so much looking into their track record with rumors, since no one really has a great record there, but is it a decent, worthwhile read?

I haven't either, but in looking at their contributors (here), it seems like a pretty respectable lineup.

Come on Darcy. Give us something to chew on.

I've never come across that site before. Are they any good? I'm not so much looking into their track record with rumors, since no one really has a great record there, but is it a decent, worthwhile read?

I think it's a pretty good read. Rumors by their nature are pure speculation, but consider them more of an aggregator of rumors that they are getting from local news sources or TSN. They are a lot like Spector's site who gets rumors primarily from published sources and not ones they are just making up.

I haven't either, but in looking at their contributors (here), it seems like a pretty respectable lineup.

Come on Darcy. Give us something to chew on.

The rumors are not actually coming from those guys. But, the analysis are coming from the guys you have sited. But, yeah, I think that site is of much better quality than Eklund.

To tell you the truth, they used to be a little shady... but 2 years ago deadline day they guessed a few rumors and were first to report some deals.... but last deadline day they hit it big, they were first to call almost every trade. Including the Kotalik deal which i saw on that site and posted on here if you remember, and many people called BS for like 30 minutes before TSN or Sportsnet reported it. Anyone remember that? TheFourthPeriod called that trade way before anyone else.

The rumors are not actually coming from those guys. But, the analysis are coming from the guys you have sited. But, yeah, I think that site is of much better quality than Eklund.

We're setting the bar awfully low there. That's like being more positive than deluca.

I'v never been able to wrap my mind around the concept of "sources" when it comes to trade rumors.

Really, the only reliable source for The Fourth Period's report would be Regier. And why would he talk? The use of any other source would necessarily be hearsay.

I'm sure you have a lot of malarkey involving players, players' wives, agents and other GMs, as they all play the game of whipping up a frenzy.

If Regier does make a move, it certainly casts Monday's depresser in a new light eh?

I'v never been able to wrap my mind around the concept of "sources" when it comes to trade rumors.

Really, the only reliable source for The Fourth Period's report would be Regier. And why would he talk? The use of any other source would necessarily be hearsay.

I'm sure you have a lot of malarkey involving players, players' wives, agents and other GMs, as they all play the game of whipping up a frenzy.

If Regier does make a move, it certainly casts Monday's depresser in a new light eh?

I'll never understand why people flock to rumor sites so much. You're better off heading over to the fiction section at Barnes and Noble. You're usually happy with the results there.

I'll never understand why people flock to rumor sites so much. You're better off heading over to the fiction section at Barnes and Noble. You're usually happy with the results there.

People clinging to the possiblity of something that may never happen. Think of it like religion. Blind faith.

Why are you posting on a message board? So you can write and tell us all how the Sabres should change their team, like anyone of importance is listening?

Why are you posting on a message board? So you can write and tell us all how the Sabres should change their team, like anyone of importance is listening?

because discussing the team with fellow fans is an enjoyable hobby? If you are trying to make a point, then it isn't a very good one. There is a world of difference between fans discussing x, y, and z and spending time reading Eklund making stuff up.

Do you ever see me making comments like "they should make this trade" or "they should sign this guy"? Like SDS is suggesting, this board is about far more than just rumors.

Do you ever see me making comments like "they should make this trade" or "they should sign this guy"? Like SDS is suggesting, this board is about far more than just rumors.

you may want to start your posts would be far more enjoyable.

because discussing the team with fellow fans is an enjoyable hobby? If you are trying to make a point, then it isn't a very good one. There is a world of difference between fans discussing x, y, and z and spending time reading Eklund making stuff up.

Don't mean to pick a fight here, but is not fans discussing Eklund making stuff up included in fans discussing x, y, or z? I'm not suggesting that discussing Eklund is an enjoyable hobby, but at a broader level I would argue that finding out the gossip about one's favorite NHL team and discussing the possibility/lack of reality regarding it can be included as discussing with fellow fans as an enjoyable hobby. Again, enjoyable hobbies are rather subjective and differ from person-to-person, so where is the line drawn and who is it drawn by? Is it the moderators?

Regardless, if I am not mistaken, I believe the context of the discussion was more along the lines of a rumor posted by thefourthperiod.com and not one posted by Eklund, but it has since devolved into a debate on which rumors page is better, which admittedly was started by me. Only thing I will say is that I do find pages that are getting their sources from news publications and discussing the merits of said trade much more interesting than a guy who has "contacts" and is not a journalist published by any news outlet. Just my opinion.

Don't mean to pick a fight here, but is not fans discussing Eklund making stuff up included in fans discussing x, y, or z? I'm not suggesting that discussing Eklund is an enjoyable hobby, but at a broader level I would argue that finding out the gossip about one's favorite NHL team and discussing the possibility/lack of reality regarding it can be included as discussing with fellow fans as an enjoyable hobby. Again, enjoyable hobbies are rather subjective and differ from person-to-person, so where is the line drawn and who is it drawn by? Is it the moderators?

Regardless, if I am not mistaken, I believe the context of the discussion was more along the lines of a rumor posted by thefourthperiod.com and not one posted by Eklund, but it has since devolved into a debate on which rumors page is better, which admittedly was started by me. Only thing I will say is that I do find pages that are getting their sources from news publications and discussing the merits of said trade much more interesting than a guy who has "contacts" and is not a journalist published by any news outlet. Just my opinion.

I'll be the 1st to admit that I detest Eklund. I see so little value in his work that I can't put it in polite words.

The problem with such discredited sites like hockeybuzz is that it starts any conversation off on a completely asinine premise... "The Sabres are doing xxxx."

Which, of course, they are not.

The conversation can only go down from there. I think it is much more interesting to have a poster just come out and say, "I would like to see the Sabres do xxxx". While I don't really play that game either, at least that is a person sharing their opinion based upon their own thoughts and analysis. Using Eklund as jumping off point is essentially a random thought put forth under a false premise.

As for other sites? I don't mind them so much.

Archived