Darcy was on WGR

nobody

Darcy's Presser should surprise nobody.

The best time to make a deal is when you don't need to make a deal.

Even if you need to make a deal.

Don't say you need to make a deal.

Say you are open to a talk about a deal.

Yawn.....I now that it doesn't energize the fanbase....but to me it makes more sense than Burke telling Toronto he

wants to get the #1 pick. (who doesn't) but GM's aren't talking with him because he is really too shrewd. :rolleyes:

Great point!!! Golly's machine has gotten the expected return. The franchise is worth a considerable amount more than when he bought it. What does he care if they win. He is still making grenn. All i want is them to spend to the frigging cap enough of this self imposed cap shitt. Imagine what that extra $$ would bring back this way!

They're not going to spend to that cap. People need to accept that. And really, I don't see a problem with it. It won't bring in any extra money, so from the business standpoint, it doesn't make much sense. People have said it here over and over, it's not about how much they're spending, because they are paying out a lot of money, it's how they're spending it.

Leaving a bit of a buffer under the cap does allow for one very positive thing though. It makes it much easier to add something late in the year if they think they're close to making a run. Pittsburgh was able to do it this year, but they'll have a lot more trouble in the future now that Malkin's deal (and to a lesser extent, Staal) has kicked in. Now, I know some people are saying Darcy won't make deals, but they did try to back in 2007. Unfortunately, they had very little room to do so thanks to being so tight to the cap.

They're not going to spend to that cap. People need to accept that. And really, I don't see a problem with it. It won't bring in any extra money, so from the business standpoint, it doesn't make much sense. People have said it here over and over, it's not about how much they're spending, because they are paying out a lot of money, it's how they're spending it.

Leaving a bit of a buffer under the cap does allow for one very positive thing though. It makes it much easier to add something late in the year if they think they're close to making a run. Pittsburgh was able to do it this year, but they'll have a lot more trouble in the future now that Malkin's deal (and to a lesser extent, Staal) has kicked in. Now, I know some people are saying Darcy won't make deals, but they did try to back in 2007. Unfortunately, they had very little room to do so thanks to being so tight to the cap.

Point taken.

What if that extra $$ that they didn't spend last year were to be invested into a player that they could have used to make a run towards the end of the year. I'll agree that its about spending wisely. However to have extra $$ and not to spend it gives the appearance that you know whet you are doing and feel you have the peices in place. We all know this is not true.

Point taken.

What if that extra $$ that they didn't spend last year were to be invested into a player that they could have used to make a run towards the end of the year. I'll agree that its about spending wisely. However to have extra $$ and not to spend it gives the appearance that you know whet you are doing and feel you have the peices in place. We all know this is not true.

I guess it depends on what you think you're close to. I was using it in terms of being close to a cup run. Last year's team was not making that run.

I like your moxy boy. I just wish I had your optimism. I am tired of the DR rhetoric.

I feel your pain. I watched more of the NHL playoffs this year than ever before, and the nightly realization that the Sabres weren't there never failed to depress me.

I guess I am generally OK with not only the rhetoric, but the patient, build-from-within approach that Darcy takes. The go-get-a-bunch-of-big-names approach never works (e.g. Tampa last year and Rangers every year). I think Darcy built a great team over a period of years via drafting and good value trades that would have been in the hunt every year if TG/LQ hadn't butchered it, and I think he's now, finally, been given the chance to do it again. He got off to only a so-so start last summer, but I think he'll make a few more moves this year that won't seem spectacular when made but that will prove to be effective.

Yawn.....I now that it doesn't energize the fanbase....but to me it makes more sense than Burke telling Toronto he

wants to get the #1 pick. (who doesn't) but GM's aren't talking with him because he is really too shrewd. :rolleyes:

100% agree.

100% agree here too, although Zubrus was a good playoff pickup.

I fully expect some roster tinkering. The same kind that brought us the Rivet, Moore, Bernier-type players. There will be a new veteran face on the roster.. It won't be a high price FA, but it will be second-third tier FA..

I fully expect some roster tinkering. The same kind that brought us the Rivet, Moore, Bernier-type players. There will be a new veteran face on the roster.. It won't be a high price FA, but it will be second-third tier FA..

the good news is that it is a good UFA market this year.

It is really a win-win for Darcy. You never make it known that you are looking to deal, because that would weaken your stance. However given Darcy's history, or lack there of, he is correctly setting everyone's expectations.

Exactly. This is poker; you don't tip your hand. If there were a GM Negotiating for Dummies book, you would find that presser in there as an example. It's like people who think that the government should tell us everything that they are doing, even militarily. They can't tell us without telling the enemy, so sometimes it's better not to tell either. Sure, Darcy could have said things that would make us, as fans, feel happier -- though, admit it, we would be sitting around saying that actions speak louder than words if he did -- but that would hamper his ability to do the things that will actually make us feel better. actions really do speak louder than words and while I don't have a ton of faith that the actions will be much better, I will wait to see them before judging Darcy.

100% agree here too, although Zubrus was a good playoff pickup.

But look what it cost to make that move. They had to unload a great insurance policy and a great positive influence in Marty Biron. And then there was Novotny, not that anyone really cared.

But look what it cost to make that move. They had to unload a great insurance policy and a great positive influence in Marty Biron. And then there was Novotny, not that anyone really cared.

I'm pretty sure they had to unload Biron anyway -- there was some funky situation that got triggered due to all of the injury callups that year whereby they got charged a certain amount against the cap for each callup, and the net result was that they would've been over the cap if they hadn't unloaded someone. The $2MM backup goalie, who wasn't going to play in the playoffs anyway, and who was going to leave in the offseason b/c he wanted to start somewhere, was the logical choice.

Looking back, I guess that was your point -- that not leaving any room under the cap can force a team into bad choices. I guess my point, if I indeed have one, was that at least they got a good player for the stretch run in Zubrus, and that Marty (although a good playoff insurance policy and a good guy) was going to leave anyway that summer.

As for the team, he thinks it's in a "growth stage," and he singled out kids like Miller and Gaustad and Connolly as candidates for maturing. Miller's almost 30, but never mind! He said his team was no longer young, but not yet old. He's challenging the status quo to not look outside the room for change, but to change themselves. Where have we heard that before?

It has been said that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. Hmm...

Maybe when LQ said that his goal was to win the Stanley Cup, he was talking about EA's NHL '09....

I guess it depends on what you think you're close to. I was using it in terms of being close to a cup run. Last year's team was not making that run.

But in Buffalo, making the playoffs is supposedly key to financial success. So doesn't the bar for a late season move have to be lowered? Darcy had the cap room last year to make that playoff run and did little.

I'm with wonder. You spend money to make money.

So in the press conference a reporter asks: how close or far away does he feel the roster is to the Pens and Wings.

Start of reply: "I think the first step is to get into the playoffs."

While that seems the obvious answer I think it also shows they don't expect to be going for the Cup any time soon. He also does mention how the Wings culture is something they can learn from.

While that seems the obvious answer I think it also shows they don't expect to be going for the Cup any time soon. He also does mention how the Wings culture is something they can learn from.

D'ya think? So, seeing that the Red Wings have been consistently pretty good for the last decade or so, Darcy is just now trying to learn something from the way Detroit builds its teams? Come on, Darcy! The entire Sabres front office must think Sabre fans are the most clueless people on the planet. They'd never be able to pull this kind of crap in any other (decent) hockey city. Try unloading that kind of bulls@*% in Toronto or Montreal and the press there would hand Darcy his head. Here in Buffalo, we get a powder-puff piece about "What I would do if I was GM for a Day". Please, spare me.

(BTW, I don't know what put me in such a foul mood about Darcy's comments..maybe because it is gorgeous out and I'm stuck in the office until 5:00) :wallbash:

Tip his hand? He's not even in the game.

At some point a decision needs to be made down at the offices of the HSBC to have he Sabres re-join the NHL. To continually refuse to explore all the possible avenues, free agency and buyouts included, this team is not using all the resources available to them.

I am sick of :

Wait and see what the free agency market is at.

Wait and see when trade conversations start.

Wait and see 16 other teams make the playoffs next season.

While this team sits back and "waits and sees", the other teams in the division and conference will be initiating changes not waiting and seeing who falls to them.

And really, what was the point of the interview and press conference? Were the Sabres concerned that some hope and optimism may spring up and they wanted to nip it in the bud?

that says everything that I would.

Thank you Larry Quinn, for that absolutely astouding year end review.

Of what, we don't know.

But it must have been good...

Darcy said otherwise. He pointed out that some teams have cleared cap space in order to be active on July 1, which presumably would drive up prices.

I didn't hear that...I heard him say specifically that teams are looking to save assets in terms of the draft because they think they will be able to spend money to get what they need on the Market.

I understood that to mean that there is a good market from the GM perspective.

Just look at the defense this year compared to last....last year the market was bad enough to give Paul Finger three million.

Campbell, Blake, Redden, and Orpik was all there really was.

This year there are at least 25 serviceable unrestricted free agents just on D.

Darcy did also say the UFA pool is small this year. So I don't know if he thinks there are 25 servicable UFA D. Or, perhaps as others have said, he just isn't tipping his hand. Or maybe he is looking at last years list.

Darcy did also say the UFA pool is small this year. So I don't know if he thinks there are 25 servicable UFA D. Or, perhaps as others have said, he just isn't tipping his hand. Or maybe he is looking at last years list.

I just didn't hear him say that. (the 25 serviceable UFA D-men was me)

Are you sure it was in the interview?

Does anybody have a minute mark for that?

I admit I have not read every post, but in general I am with X ... why should he tip his hand? he did that last year when he said Max needed a change of scenery and he couldn't move him.

I'm not saying I like the team as it is now ... I am just saying I don't care that he came out and said what he did. Talk is cheap anyway. What if he had come out and said "Everyone is on the trading block, big changes coming!" ... everyone would have said "Yeah right! Talk to me when you actually do something!" And rightfully so. So why get all worked up about it now? It's just talk.

But in Buffalo, making the playoffs is supposedly key to financial success. So doesn't the bar for a late season move have to be lowered? Darcy had the cap room last year to make that playoff run and did little.

I'm with wonder. You spend money to make money.

I wonder how much the playoffs actually add though. Would the profits from the playoffs balance out the increase up to the cap? Yes, you have to spend to make, but there's a limit.

And yeah, it sucks that I have to even bring this stuff up, but I'm trying to look at this from a purely business point of view.

I just didn't hear him say that. (the 25 serviceable UFA D-men was me)

Are you sure it was in the interview?

Does anybody have a minute mark for that?

Around 11:50 of the audio version on the Sabres site.

"When you look at the UFA market; it's not a big market"

Archived