Cinco de Mayo

Two or less

Happy three years anniversary of one of the craziest games in Buffalo Sabres history. Those were the days our club was on top. Anyways, enjoy. Cinco de Mayo will never be the same. Wonder what kind of game Chicago and Vancouver or Wings and Ducks will have? Anywhere near the crazies we saw 3 years ago? Probably not.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Biggest roller coaster game ever; erased four one-goal Ottawa leads. Derek Roy with, what, 5 points (2G, 3A, I believe) and Timmy had a pair of goals, too.

It's amazing that a team with Chara, Havlat, Alfredsson, Heatley and Spezza could have lost anything. What's even more amazing is that Chara and Havlat were shipped out, but Emery remained. :huh:

Biggest roller coaster game ever; erased four one-goal Ottawa leads. Derek Roy with, what, 5 points (2G, 3A, I believe) and Timmy had a pair of goals, too.

It's amazing that a team with Chara, Havlat, Alfredsson, Heatley and Spezza could have lost anything. What's even more amazing is that Chara and Havlat were shipped out, but Emery remained. :huh:

Roy 5 points playing left wing. In a perfect world he would go back to wing and a true number 1 center would be brought in.

Roy 5 points playing left wing. In a perfect world he would go back to wing and a true number 1 center would be brought in.

In a perfect world we would have been able to fit DB, CD, and BC under the cap for about 15 million combined per year.

For my money, it was the greatest Sabres game ever. It was perfect. Ottawa was awesome that year. They manhandled us several times in the regular season. Beating them in the playoffs was like the Jedi beating the Evil Empire in Star Wars.

The team had emerged from bankruptcy, mediocrity and the lockout, and had a great, and exciting, regular season, but nobody knew what would happen in the playoffs. Then we took down big, slow Philly in the first round. Here came Ottawa, with Alfie, Spezza, Heatley, Chara, Redden and DOMINIK (he didn't play, but his presence loomed large) -- and nobody thought the Sabres had a chance until after that game.

The future seemed so bright after that game. The sky was blue. The possibilities were endless. Connolly was turning into a full-blown star. Miller was coming into his own. Soupy had finally figured it out, was decent enough in his own zone, and had stretches on offense where he was just awesome. We had young talent, veteran poise, goaltending, coaching, leadership, speed, depth and toughness. McKee led the league in blocked shots and inspired his teammates to sacrifice. Nobody pulled any BS when Grier was on the ice. Drury was solid as a rock. Tallinder was one of the best shutdown defensemen in the league. And I would've trusted Lindy with just about anything.

That team, that season and that game was why people love their sports teams.

I still can't believe how bad our keystone kops ownership/management team screwed it up. But it was amazing while it lasted.

I never (1999 included) had more confidence that this team was going to win the Cup than this moment:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

:censored: injuries!

Five, actually.

One more item about this game: it gave rise to PAFan's finest hour on this board: check it out. I have to admit that I re-read this every so often, and it never disappoints.

*** wiping away the tears ***

Holy crap I'd forgotten all about that. Thanks for the trip down memory lane!!

Archived