Realistic Approach to the off season

bills_fan_in_raleigh

All of this discussion about total cleaning house etc, lets look at a proposed plan for the off season. that might be realistic.

Front Office/Coaching : Either a change at GM or Coach is called for. Either its a player issue or coach. Looking at what the Canes and Sens did with a new coach right now I am thinking a change in scenery at HC might be most likely and most needed change. Also need to rebuild a scouting staff.

Forwards Keep and my view the lines we should stick with and see more balance of rolling lines:

Vanek, Connely, Stafford,

Roy, Pommers ( not ready to give up on him yet ),

Gausted, MacArthur,

Paille, Kaleta, Moore

Defense Keep:

Butler + Rivet

Sekera + Spacek

Goalie Keep:

Miller

NEEDS:

A grinder like Cole to play with Pommers and Roy

A solid vet to play wing with Gausted and MacArthur or a promising 2 - 3 year guy

A couple of BIG D men I am tired of seeing or D tossed around like dolls, we need some more stay at home types have enough punch in the other 4.

A backup that we can damn depend on to give Miller a rest would like to see us go younger here than the experiments of the last 2 seasons.

Comments/Opinions?

Stafford should be let go. He has consistently shown us how inconsistent he is this season, and Im beginning to doubt he will grow out of that. He gives off a vibe that he think he's a rock star, and he just isn't prepared to give it his all. I'd rather have the Sabres trade him for a more experienced winger in return.

Stafford should be let go. He has consistently shown us how inconsistent he is this season, and Im beginning to doubt he will grow out of that. He gives off a vibe that he think he's a rock star, and he just isn't prepared to give it his all. I'd rather have the Sabres trade him for a more experienced winger in return.

Power forwards take a lot of time to develop so I'm not ready to give up on him yet. If I recall correctly Jarome Iginla was seen as a huge disappointment for the beginning of his career, he's all that you want in a power forward.

Power forwards take a lot of time to develop so I'm not ready to give up on him yet. If I recall correctly Jarome Iginla was seen as a huge disappointment for the beginning of his career, he's all that you want in a power forward.

disagree. Stafford is no Iginla, not even in 5 years. Stafford has no top line tenacity or consistant touch. Stafford? Power Forward? :D

Beyond that; Vanek is barely being marketed as a power forward...... ;)

All of this discussion about total cleaning house etc, lets look at a proposed plan for the off season. that might be realistic.

Front Office/Coaching : Either a change at GM or Coach is called for. Either its a player issue or coach. Looking at what the Canes and Sens did with a new coach right now I am thinking a change in scenery at HC might be most likely and most needed change. Also need to rebuild a scouting staff.

Forwards Keep and my view the lines we should stick with and see more balance of rolling lines:

Vanek, Connely, Stafford,

Roy, Pommers ( not ready to give up on him yet ),

Gausted, MacArthur,

Paille, Kaleta, Moore

Defense Keep:

Butler + Rivet

Sekera + Spacek

Goalie Keep:

Miller

NEEDS:

A grinder like Cole to play with Pommers and Roy

A solid vet to play wing with Gausted and MacArthur or a promising 2 - 3 year guy

A couple of BIG D men I am tired of seeing or D tossed around like dolls, we need some more stay at home types have enough punch in the other 4.

A backup that we can damn depend on to give Miller a rest would like to see us go younger here than the experiments of the last 2 seasons.

Comments/Opinions?

The big de-man thing is over done if you ask me. We need an experienced puck mover. Someone that can either carry it in neutral zone or get it to our forwards in the neutral zone while they have speed.

I like your personnel choices, but I think economic realities are going to get in the way. Spacek and Moore are both going to cost too much to keep (both are UFAs). Also, Lalime will be back since the Sabres are committed to him for $1MM next year. And Hecht will be back because no one is going to take him off our hands at $3.6MM per year for 3 years. We might be able to unload Tallinder and/or Lydman though.

Iginla was a disappointment largely because he was traded for Smokin' Joe, not because he was a bad player. He just wasn't Joe Niuewendyk.

Not entirely unlike how people felt about the Peca/Connolly deal for years, and I guess some still feel Buffalo got hosed in this deal.

Stafford is a Buffalo draft pick, and he's still disappointing.

The big de-man thing is over done if you ask me. We need an experienced puck mover. Someone that can either carry it in neutral zone or get it to our forwards in the neutral zone while they have speed.

Would be nice to have, but I have to ask - Who's going to play defense then? The blueliners already here have showed repatedly they're not able to shut anyone down. Isn't getting better in our own end a priority over offense, at this point?

The reason I ask is that we all know Darcy would never bring in two defensemen in the off-season, and at best we get one.

If that is the case, I'd rather have a guy who's good in his own zone.

Would be nice to have, but I have to ask - Who's going to play defense then? The blueliners already here have showed repatedly they're not able to shut anyone down. Isn't getting better in our own end a priority over offense, at this point?

The reason I ask is that we all know Darcy would never bring in two defensemen in the off-season, and at best we get one.

If that is the case, I'd rather have a guy who's good in his own zone.

The way I look at it is, if you have a guy that is good at moving the puck, making the first pass, etc. you are better in both the defensive zone and offensive zone. I know a lot of people didn't like Teppo, but when he still had it he made a hell of a difference. Few mistakes and got the puck moving.

I really dislike the idea of guys who don't produce that the Sabres still have to keep because

they're paying them too much and noone will take them off our hands. They're like AIG

and it's weighing heavily on what the club can do. I think whoever signed these individuals

(Hecht, Lalime etc.) has got to go.

I've never heard anyone name-calling his own fans before ("mouse potatoes"). Buffalo fans

are probably the most loyal in sports. What was he thinking? i think stafford

thinks he's bigger than everyone else here and it entitles him to give a half-effort a good deal

of the time.

It's hard to identify players with lousy attitudes and those who don't want to get their nose

dirty, but I'd try to dump those players first.

I really dislike the idea of guys who don't produce that the Sabres still have to keep because

they're paying them too much and noone will take them off our hands.

Well, and if we hadn't signed them and they played great we would be upset we didn't lock them up. :censored:

Hey, at least we can finally be done with Max. That's a savings a few million.

The Sabres obviously need to make changes.

I hate to agree with Bucky, but he's right when he says they need players in the room that will make it uncomfortable for others. It is one thing to have guys all get along and that's nice, but anyone who's played on sports teams knows that you don't have to all be buddy buddy. You think Kobe Bryant is everyone's best buddy? (sorry for the NBA reference)

You get my point though. Get guys in who will challenge others, not be worried about upsetting their good friend.

They obviously need some size in the back. They need to get rid of some perimeter players on offense. The Sabres can talk about making trades, but look back over the past 10 years. Not many deals other than at the deadline or on draft day. Doesn't bode well.

I want a team that works hard and competes. The Canucks don't have the best players in the league, but many nights they outwork their opponents. Check Alex Burrows. The guy makes $500,000 and has 28 goals. He is tenacious. Never has an off night, ever. His effort can never be questioned. He's a thorn in the side of others as well, knowing most nights what side of the line to play on. Kesler is another example of effort. We need guys like that. Effort! Effort! Effort!

We also need to let Vanek know he's our guy. This benching business really does very little I believe. You want to send a real message? Don't dress him for a game. But to not have him out there in the clutch is silly. It was like when Tom Renney ran the Canucks. They were in turmoil and needing goals, yet he'd bench Mogilny and Bure to send a message. A message that winning doesn't matter I guess. Sitting a guy hurts more than pining him.

Changes are needed though. Hopefully!

The Sabres obviously need to make changes.

I hate to agree with Bucky, but he's right when he says they need players in the room that will make it uncomfortable for others. It is one thing to have guys all get along and that's nice, but anyone who's played on sports teams knows that you don't have to all be buddy buddy. You think Kobe Bryant is everyone's best buddy? (sorry for the NBA reference)

You get my point though. Get guys in who will challenge others, not be worried about upsetting their good friend.

They obviously need some size in the back. They need to get rid of some perimeter players on offense. The Sabres can talk about making trades, but look back over the past 10 years. Not many deals other than at the deadline or on draft day. Doesn't bode well.

I want a team that works hard and competes. The Canucks don't have the best players in the league, but many nights they outwork their opponents. Check Alex Burrows. The guy makes $500,000 and has 28 goals. He is tenacious. Never has an off night, ever. His effort can never be questioned. He's a thorn in the side of others as well, knowing most nights what side of the line to play on. Kesler is another example of effort. We need guys like that. Effort! Effort! Effort!

We also need to let Vanek know he's our guy. This benching business really does very little I believe. You want to send a real message? Don't dress him for a game. But to not have him out there in the clutch is silly. It was like when Tom Renney ran the Canucks. They were in turmoil and needing goals, yet he'd bench Mogilny and Bure to send a message. A message that winning doesn't matter I guess. Sitting a guy hurts more than pining him.

Changes are needed though. Hopefully!

I'll agree with most of what you've said.

The locker room can all be buddy-buddy, but they need to be held accountable by their buddies too.

I'd also rather see guys sit in the press box and watch the game than sit on the bench, for guys like Stafford and Paille, but not Vanek

FYI, yeah Burrows has stepped up his game over the past 3 seasons, but he's also signed for 2 million a season for the next 4 years.

I'll agree with most of what you've said.

The locker room can all be buddy-buddy, but they need to be held accountable by their buddies too.

I'd also rather see guys sit in the press box and watch the game than sit on the bench, for guys like Stafford and Paille, but not Vanek

FYI, yeah Burrows has stepped up his game over the past 3 seasons, but he's also signed for 2 million a season for the next 4 years.

Burrows still only makes $500,000 this year. He just re-upped a month ago. I have no doubt he could have gotten more elsewhere. He's a commodity.

Vanek doesn't need any sittings, I agree. He needs to play, needs to know the coaches believe in him. Nobody is immune to a seat though. My point was if you're gonna do it, do it right. I doubt Vanek would need more than one or two a year.

Haven't read through all the posts, so sorry if this repeats someone.

Wouldn't it be refreshing if the Sabres came out and bluntly said what their plan is? I remember after the debacle of the 95 playoffs against Philly, ownership ordered Muckler to dismantle one of the most expensive rosters in the league. John Muckler came right out and told the fans the Sabres were going to sell off, get younger, get cheaper -- and probably struggle on the ice for a while. It was the birth of the hardest working team in hockey and a division title two seasons later. The honest was much appreciated.

Not a perfect analogy to the Sabres' situation... I don't see a Dominik Hasek on this roster waiting to, uh, dominate the league at his position.

I like your personnel choices, but I think economic realities are going to get in the way. Spacek and Moore are both going to cost too much to keep (both are UFAs). Also, Lalime will be back since the Sabres are committed to him for $1MM next year. And Hecht will be back because no one is going to take him off our hands at $3.6MM per year for 3 years. We might be able to unload Tallinder and/or Lydman though.

Don't care about Moore... would really like to keep Spacek though, he's easily our most consistent and best defenseman. You don't hear his name a whole lot in games, which is a good thing.

My realistic plan for the off-season? Sabres, having missed the playoffs, clean out their lockers on Monday, depart for the golf course on Tuesday. The playoffs begin Wednesday. I leave for 5 days in Florida on Thursday (where it's warm!). After I come back, I watch a bunch of other NHL teams demolish one another until the San Jose Sharks win the Stanley Cup (making them the ninth team to come into the league after Buffalo and win the Stanley Cup). July. August. September. The Sabres announce that they have nothing to announce. Hockey season starts. Rerun of 2008-2009.

:wallbash:

Archived