I'll say it: Connolly is twice as good as Roy.

nfreeman

Which goes back to my original question. Who is our #1? Roy is a very good $4 million #2 center, but is Connolly a capable #1 center? Being paid $4.5 million per with his injury history suggests that the Sabre have him slated as such. He's a decent playmaker, that's for sure, but he's not good on faceoffs (Hecht has a better win %), doesn't bring a big physical presence and, as far as I can tell, isn't a natural leader (based on limited information, admittedly, but he comes off as kind of an arrogant prick.)

The only scenario in which I could see trading Roy would be if we sent out Hecht and Roy (separately or together), and used the money to bring in a true #1, moving Timmy into the #2 slot.

Limited information as in what see of him in the media?

Limited information as in what see of him in the media?

Yes (although there was some hearsay of the same "from within the locker room"; I don't listen to that), like during his slump when he was coughing the puck up a ton, trying to get too fancy, missing big chances, etc., and was asked what he has to do to get out of his slump; he answered "I think I've been playing fine." :blink: There have been other ones, too. Very limited and most likely biased information on which to base my opinion, but he just comes off that way.

Yes (although there was some hearsay of the same "from within the locker room"; I don't listen to that), like during his slump when he was coughing the puck up a ton, trying to get too fancy, missing big chances, etc., and was asked what he has to do to get out of his slump; he answered "I think I've been playing fine." :blink: There have been other ones, too. Very limited and most likely biased information on which to base my opinion, but he just comes off that way.

Arrogant is OK. You almost expect professional athletes to have that ingrained in them. You kind of want arrogance in them the way you want your heart surgeon to be arrogant. Prick is a pretty strong word. I know what you mean, though. Perception is reality. I like to think he's just not as polished on camera as some others. I keep going back to reports that on deadline day, the lockerroom erupted in cheers when news came of Connolly's extension.

Both Roy and Moore have been over 50% for (at least) this year and last year.

I will give you that Roy is probably more of a #2 than a #1, but a #3?! Come on.

I wouldve rather had Dominic Moore on the Ice taking the the last 2 faceoffs last night..Once I saw it was Roy I laughed...He wasnt even close to winning those draws and the last breath the SAbres had were easily snuffed out at the drop of the puck..

I would rather see Roy as my third line center..A nice player who can take advantage of the other teams 3rd line center and we wouldnt have to rely on him at clutch time..As a matter of fact I would like to see Moore taking some time on his line to see if his hustle and playmaking might go well with Vanek..

The problems w/ Roy were on display in the last 5 mins last night: Has a GREAT chance to tie the game w/ a fairly easy, uncontested goal mouth tip in; tips it wide. Then takes a very immature retaliation penalty w/ the game and maybe the season on the line. He has speed to burn , and is reasonably talented, but is lazy and only committed about 75% of the time. I DO like him, but he's a second line center, and is not in the same ballpark as Connolly as a playmaker.

I wouldve rather had Dominic Moore on the Ice taking the the last 2 faceoffs last night..Once I saw it was Roy I laughed...He wasnt even close to winning those draws and the last breath the SAbres had were easily snuffed out at the drop of the puck..

I would rather see Roy as my third line center..A nice player who can take advantage of the other teams 3rd line center and we wouldnt have to rely on him at clutch time..As a matter of fact I would like to see Moore taking some time on his line to see if his hustle and playmaking might go well with Vanek..

I wasn't pleased with that decision either.

The problems w/ Roy were on display in the last 5 mins last night: Has a GREAT chance to tie the game w/ a fairly easy, uncontested goal mouth tip in; tips it wide. Then takes a very immature retaliation penalty w/ the game and maybe the season on the line. He has speed to burn , and is reasonably talented, but is lazy and only committed about 75% of the time. I DO like him, but he's a second line center, and is not in the same ballpark as Connolly as a playmaker.

Lazy isn't something I would call him...the guy is killing penalties and almost never misses a shift and often gets double shifted.

I love our fan base. The biggest whiny lil spoiled people in the world. Let's bash Derek Roy now because god forbid he had a few bad games. The guy is playing well but not scoring. He's better then Danny Briere. And way better then Chris Drury. Don't kid yourself. Roy has had a pretty good season and if we do miss the playoffs, he's not one of the players i'd be blaming.

you gotta be kidding me.

drury and briere are the 2 best players we've had since hasek.

Roy has come up small when they have needed him most. Its way to early to give up on him but you have to question whether he can be the number one center. He has become Ruff's whipping boy because Lindy knows he needs more out of him. Only time will tell.

Too many core players have come up small. The Sabres miss the playoffs again because they are not good enough.

It seems the big paychecks have not inspired this group to produce anything. It seems too many players are motivated to get the huge contract extension and too few are motivated to win the Stanley Cup.

If these guys really wanted to win the Cup then you would see a lot more effort on a consistent basis. The current group gives a decent effort about one out of four games.

It's discouraging to know that Darcy has "locked up" this core group for years to come. I fear years of underachievement lie ahead.

Roy personifies everything that is wrong with this team. He's talented and he knows how to play hockey, but he's always taking shortcuts. He'll make nice plays on the backcheck, but then he'll blow it off a couple of times and his man will score. His mediocre games well outnumber the games in which he plays to his potential. He's like an overrated NBA player who "puts up numbers" on a bad team but never wins anything. He's not willing to bear down and do what it takes to win.

I

Don't look now, but Darcy might actually have made a good move in extending TC.

Go Sabres. It's there for the taking. Grab it and don't let go.

Are you out of your mind! I think you got the right staement but the wrong guy. The Vaginia Timmy is the problem....Check out the record in games his lazy ass has played. He skates at half speed has not half the shot Roy does and is always on IR! Roy, shows up, Skates, has a great shot and definately plays hard on the defensive side. Roy is still developing...TC is well never on the ice when it matters! The signing of TC was a bad one and one I could do with out! I also think Vanek and Pominville need the door! Trade all three for some Heart!

I love our fan base. The biggest whiny lil spoiled people in the world. Let's bash Derek Roy now because god forbid he had a few bad games. The guy is playing well but not scoring. He's better then Danny Briere. And way better then Chris Drury. Don't kid yourself. Roy has had a pretty good season and if we do miss the playoffs, he's not one of the players i'd be blaming.

I think Roy's one of our top players, but he's no Briere (yet).

Archived