How many points will the Sabres need to make the playoffs?

LabattBlue

39 members have voted

1. 1. What is the magic number?

• 91 or less
    • 92(19 points in 16 games)
    • 93(20 points in 16 games)
    • 94(21 points in 16 games)
    • 95(22 points in 16 games)
    • 96 or more(23+ points in 16 games)

I took 95 but the way allot of the teams in that 5-10 slot have been playing I was inclined to say 96 or higher.. I guess my only check down on that is allot of these games are against each other across divisions and in the Conference.

Bottom line is they're going to have to play a step better than they are doing right now. I'm starting to wonder if you eat microphone like a hot dog and what the best condiments go with that.

The problem is this. At this time of the year, teams tighten it up in close games to make sure they get at least one point. All the teams play inside their own conference basically until the end of the year so that means more 3 point games are played. That is fine and dandy for teams in the playoffs spots currently, but not for our boys.

The Sabres need to win games outright and that isn't up for debate if they are playing teams ahead of them. They cannot drop anymore points against teams below them, except for Ottawa because that is a given.

And they have to hope the amount of 3 point games played by other teams is on the lower side of things, but I'd venture to wage that this is the time where you will see more OT games. It's not looking good.

Looking at remaining games for each team, i think the sabre have 20 very getable points. Montreal and Pittsburgh have easier schedules and will be tough to catch and pass. But all three Carolina, Rangers and Florida, tougher schedules. I could see the Sabres ending in playoff in seventh place playing the Devils or Washington first round.... (yikes to Washington)

Normally do this for the Bills, but being that there are 16 games left. So we have 73 points and Montreal has 77. The rest of current "playoff" teams below that have 76. Supposing the worst that two of them do is getting around 20 points (including Carolina), that puts the number to make playoffs at 96. So I vote for that.

at Flyers W (got a feeling about tomorrow )

Panthers W

Thrashers L (I think they'll split these two games (ATL and FLA, so it could go the other way)

at Senators L (until proven otherwise)

Flyers W

at Rangers W

Panthers L (I think they'll split FLA and NYR)

Maple LeafsW

at Canadiens W

at Thrashers W

at Capitals L

Devils L

Red Wings L

at Maple Leafs W

at Hurricanes W

Bruins W

So that gives them 10 outright wins, and I don't think I was unreasonable. If Miller comes back healthy maybe it's 11, and they'll probably take a few to OT. It's doable.

Normally do this for the Bills, but being that there are 16 games left. So we have 73 points and Montreal has 77. The rest of current "playoff" teams below that have 76. Supposing the worst that two of them do is getting around 20 points (including Carolina), that puts the number to make playoffs at 96. So I vote for that.

at Flyers W (got a feeling about tomorrow )

Panthers W

Thrashers L (I think they'll split these two games (ATL and FLA, so it could go the other way)

at Senators L (until proven otherwise)

Flyers W

at Rangers W

Panthers L (I think they'll split FLA and NYR)

Maple LeafsW

at Canadiens W

at Thrashers W

at Capitals L

Devils L

Red Wings L

at Maple Leafs W

at Hurricanes W

Bruins W

So that gives them 10 outright wins, and I don't think I was unreasonable. If Miller comes back healthy maybe it's 11, and they'll probably take a few to OT. It's doable.

Love the fact that you listed each game and gave a prediction. I don't like that I look at that schedule and think, crap they may not make it. :o Bottom line for me is if they don't get consistent this week they can kiss their playoff hopes goodbye. I do think they need atleast 94 points to get there.

Panthers W

If the Sabres lose at home this week to either Florida or Atlanta, they don't deserve to be in the playoffs and should be booed off the ice. By the way, I will be at both games. :)

Obviously the Sabres don't need to win all the remaining games, but if they lose games to teams out of the playoffs or ones involving teams they are battling for the last couple of playoff spots, they are in big trouble.

IF they can beat Philly, and then Florida and Atlanta at home, they would be in much better shape than they are today.

Obviously the Sabres don't need to win all the remaining games, but if they lose games to teams out of the playoffs or ones involving teams they are battling for the last couple of playoff spots, they are in big trouble.

IF they can beat Philly, and then Florida and Atlanta at home, they would be in much better shape than they are today.

With the position the Sabres have put themselves in they can go 3-0 this week and not move in the standings.

With the position the Sabres have put themselves in they can go 3-0 this week and not move in the standings.

I know what you are saying, but "not moving in standings" does not necessarily mean that they are not "better off." With the game against Florida, as well as the Florida-Penguins game during that stretch, they would be better off if they win all three, even if everyone else wins and the Florida-Penguins game ends up in OT (if the Florida-Penguins game ends in regulation, that would be another point, but I am looking at worst case scenarios.). They would hold pace with everyone else and gain either (1) two against Florida and one against Pittsburgh, or (2) three against Florida (they would be tied, but I haven't look at their tie-breaker.)

This is especially true if you look at equal games played. Through 66 games, they are tied with Carolina, one behind Pittsburgh, three behind Florida/Rangers and four back from Montreal. If they win all three, then through 69 games, they would still be tied with Carolina and four behind Montreal. They would move to one behind the Rangers thanks to their loss to Carolina in their game 67. Depending on who wins the Florida-Penguins game (again, assuming it is a three point game), they would either be (1) tied with Florida and one behind Pittsburgh, or (2) tied with Pittsburgh and one behind Florida. Definitely better off, even in this worst-case scenario. With any help, they would could be much better off.

(Oops, in an absolute worst case, they'd win against Florida in OT/SO, which would dull their improvement, but they'd still be better off.)

Really, though, they just need to worry about taking care of their own games. The teams that are ahead of them will not win out (not just because of the head-to-head games), so the more games that the Sabres win, the better chance that they will get enough help to move past those teams. Wins can't make them any worse off, so gets some.

I'm guessing it takes 94 points, which would equate to a 10-5-1 record over the last 16 games. Not sure they have it in them, but we'll see.

Doesn't matter! They might win 3 more games! Ruff has to go, easier to fire a coach than to replace the soft players Regeir has sadled him with. Lindy will land on his feet and be part of another Cup Team Elsewhere....my prediction...

Archived