The Road the the Frozen Four

shrader

But during that interview, did they put up a giant box on the screen showing Otto, while the game itself was given a very small portion of the screen? That has always been a staple of the Vs. broadcast.

No they didn't do that, but the funny thing about the whole interview is that Otto did not have a way to see the game.

http://www.hockeyeastonline.com/men/presar...904/apr2hob.php

This is absolutely unreal. All 3 Hobey hat trick finalists from the same conference and two from the same team? This has the potential to be the biggest weekend in the history of BU. We've had national championships and we've had a Hobey, but not in the same year. There's a decent shot this time around. Please make it happen.

Personally, I really want to see Gilroy win it. He's an incredible story. 4 years ago no one wanted him. He walked on to BU as a forward, but the coach told him there was only room at D, so he switched. He had half the NHL offering him deals last year, but he decided to stay, saying he owed it to the team for giving him that chance. Getting to play with his brother for a year helped too. It will really pay off for him. He's too old for the entry level system in the NHL, so he'll be off to the highest bidder (Toronto) in two weeks.

Oh yeah. I forgot to mention something from Manchester. For all you video scouting enthusiasts out there, I saw a Sabres scout at the Verizon Center. They do in fact exist, but feel free to continue to hide your head in the sand if you'd like.

• 2 weeks later...

I know that Shrader is happy that BU won the tournament, but man do I feel bad for Miami University (of Ohio.) They were the underdogs playing for the school's first national championship in any sport. After being tied 1-1 through two and a half periods, Miami scored two goals to take a 3-1 lead. BU pulled its goalie with over three minutes left and with just under one minute left scored to make it 3-2. Then, with 19 seconds left, they tied the game. Miami played a strong OT with some great chances, but BU ended when a perimeter shot went off of the sliding defenseman and over the goaltender's shoulder. Great comeback victory for BU and they probably where the teamed that earned the championship over the season, but what a terrible loss for Miami. The only good news for Miami is that, I believe, they have a very young team with a ton of underclassmen, so they should have another chance at it.

Oh yeah. I forgot to mention something from Manchester. For all you video scouting enthusiasts out there, I saw a Sabres scout at the Verizon Center. They do in fact exist, but feel free to continue to hide your head in the sand if you'd like.

What is a video scouting enthusiast? Is that kind of like a Civil War buff?

Too sad that Miami couldn't put one in that empty net last night.

I know that Shrader is happy that BU won the tournament, but man do I feel bad for Miami University (of Ohio.) They were the underdogs playing for the school's first national championship in any sport. After being tied 1-1 through two and a half periods, Miami scored two goals to take a 3-1 lead. BU pulled its goalie with over three minutes left and with just under one minute left scored to make it 3-2. Then, with 19 seconds left, they tied the game. Miami played a strong OT with some great chances, but BU ended when a perimeter shot went off of the sliding defenseman and over the goaltender's shoulder. Great comeback victory for BU and they probably where the teamed that earned the championship over the season, but what a terrible loss for Miami. The only good news for Miami is that, I believe, they have a very young team with a ton of underclassmen, so they should have another chance at it.

I always like cheering for the underdog. Sometimes you need to be lucky in addition to being good and BU to score two goals in the last minute and then win on a fluttering shot that the goalie never sees had the luck on their side.

I just got back to Boston. My god that was amazing. I wish I could say I was surprised by what they did, but I'm not. That team scored in flurries like that all year, so why not do it one more time? With the way this entire tournament went, that was the perfect finish, another last second comeback that you had to see to believe. Now I just wonder how long this hangover will last.

Any chance that scout was trying to kidnap Gilroy?????

Burke's been on him like a hawk for a couple months now. So yeah, Gilroy will probably be pretty close to Buffalo, just on the wrong side of the border.

What is your opinion of the two free agents he signed and Gilroy? Are they top 6 forward, top 4 d-man material? Are there any other college free agents of note?

What is your opinion of the two free agents he signed and Gilroy? Are they top 6 forward, top 4 d-man material? Are there any other college free agents of note?

I've been out of touch with most of this for the past month, so I'm not even aware of who they signed. I see the Bozak deal on TSN but don't know who else they picked up. I've never seen Bozak (except maybe the 10 or so minutes I saw of the Denver-Miami first round game), so I can't comment on him.

Gilroy is going to get a ton of interest (already has). I don't know whether or not he'll deliver, but I can say that he will give it everything he has. The kid's work ethic is second to none. I'm sure you've read most of it by now, but the lengths he went to reach the top of the NCAA are amazing.I can't see why that would suddenly change once he gets his contract. My main concern with him though would be his age. Since he's a bit older, has he developed as much as he's going to? He's not very physical but can move the puck like no one else at the NCAA level. I don't know if that will translate to the NHL though.

As for other free agents, I'm not aware of any others that belong on that big time list. Gilroy is obviously the cream of the crop. The only names I ever see popping up are guys that have already been drafted.

Now comes the fun part where BU will probably be purged. We'll be lucky to have one player off of our top 2 lines (Nick Bonino) back, but even that is a major question mark. Gilroy is definitely gone, with his defensive partner Brian Strait a probably loss, along with the outside chance that Shatenkirk and Cohen both sign with Colorado. Next year could be rough, but if that's the price us BU fans have to pay for the pure ejoy of saturday night, I'm fine with it.

I've been out of touch with most of this for the past month, so I'm not even aware of who they signed. I see the Bozak deal on TSN but don't know who else they picked up. I've never seen Bozak (except maybe the 10 or so minutes I saw of the Denver-Miami first round game), so I can't comment on him.

Gilroy is going to get a ton of interest (already has). I don't know whether or not he'll deliver, but I can say that he will give it everything he has. The kid's work ethic is second to none. I'm sure you've read most of it by now, but the lengths he went to reach the top of the NCAA are amazing.I can't see why that would suddenly change once he gets his contract. My main concern with him though would be his age. Since he's a bit older, has he developed as much as he's going to? He's not very physical but can move the puck like no one else at the NCAA level. I don't know if that will translate to the NHL though.

As for other free agents, I'm not aware of any others that belong on that big time list. Gilroy is obviously the cream of the crop. The only names I ever see popping up are guys that have already been drafted.

Now comes the fun part where BU will probably be purged. We'll be lucky to have one player off of our top 2 lines (Nick Bonino) back, but even that is a major question mark. Gilroy is definitely gone, with his defensive partner Brian Strait a probably loss, along with the outside chance that Shatenkirk and Cohen both sign with Colorado. Next year could be rough, but if that's the price us BU fans have to pay for the pure ejoy of saturday night, I'm fine with it.

Christian Hanson from Notre Dame was the other player they signed.

Christian Hanson from Notre Dame was the other player they signed.

Don't know anything there either.

As for free agents, I just thought of two who might profit a bit from skating with Colin Wilson this year. Jason Lawrence (leading goal scorer for BU) and Chris Higgins (needs to sign with Montreal) really thrived thanks to Wilson's vision. They're nowhere near Gilroy and I see them as career AHL types, but who knows.

Don't know anything there either.

As for free agents, I just thought of two who might profit a bit from skating with Colin Wilson this year. Jason Lawrence (leading goal scorer for BU) and Chris Higgins (needs to sign with Montreal) really thrived thanks to Wilson's vision. They're nowhere near Gilroy and I see them as career AHL types, but who knows.

Has an NHl team ever had two guys with the same name playing at the same time?

Has an NHl team ever had two guys with the same name playing at the same time?

And both are a product of the NCAA. Sure, I can't think of any other similarities between Yale and BU, but it's worth noting. Then again, those two schools are about as comparable as the two Chris Higgins.

Both of BU's Hobey winners are now Rangers. Gilroy signed for 2 years, $3.5 million total with the Rangers, on a one-way contract. It looks like staying the extra year really paid off.

edit: And Wilson signs with Nashville. It has begun.

Archived