The Road the the Frozen Four

shrader

Doh! I forgot that the semifinals and finals are only one game (the previous rounds are best-of-three.) Unfortunately, Cornell got spanked (score-wise) 5-0 by Yale in the finals. Watching the NCAA selection show right now to make sure that Cornell gets in.

Edit: #3 in the Midwest, facing Northeastern in the first round.

The field

I'll be in Manchester for that regional. Might have a chance to go to the first round games in Bridgeport, but I doubt it.

Carp, that seems like a tough draw for an offensively challenged team like Cornell. Theissen is as good of a goalie as you'll see in that tourney.

Carp, that seems like a tough draw for an offensively challenged team like Cornell. Theissen is as good of a goalie as you'll see in that tourney.

Yeah, on the selection show, they were already saying that Brad Thiessen would be #1 Notre Dame's biggest challenge in the Midwest.

Yeah, on the selection show, they were already saying that Brad Thiessen would be #1 Notre Dame's biggest challenge in the Midwest.

On paper yes, but then again, that team has been in a bit of a funk lately. Maybe they've been exposed, losing 3 of 5. I'd love to see you guys make it though. I've got family in the DC area I'm staying with and they're Cornell people. As a BU fan, color-wise, you guys are very easy to watch.

Just watching the Yale-Cornell final on TWSN and Cornell pulled their goalie on a PP with over 7 minutes left down 4-0. Yale scored the empty netter about 15 seconds after the penalty had expired. Shortly thereafter, Yale took another penalty and Cornell pulled their goalie again. No guts, not glory, eh?

Just watching the Yale-Cornell final on TWSN and Cornell pulled their goalie on a PP with over 7 minutes left down 4-0. Yale scored the empty netter about 15 seconds after the penalty had expired. Shortly thereafter, Yale took another penalty and Cornell pulled their goalie again. No guts, not glory, eh?

If you want the highlight of the ECAC tourney, read the side bar in this game recap. And I'm not just linking to that because I know the writer. That may be one of the greatest coach rants of all time... and pretty true too.

If you want the highlight of the ECAC tourney, read the side bar in this game recap. And I'm not just linking to that because I know the writer. That may be one of the greatest coach rants of all time... and pretty true too.

Wow....I just read this now and it shocks me. Joe Marsh is one of the classiest guys in the game and that's not like him at all.

He clearly wants a chance to win and a chance to get into the tournament, but how do you keep a consolation game going into multiple overtimes when the (more important) championship game is scheduled for 7:30 TV coverage?

Wow....I just read this now and it shocks me. Joe Marsh is one of the classiest guys in the game and that's not like him at all.

He clearly wants a chance to win and a chance to get into the tournament, but how do you keep a consolation game going into multiple overtimes when the (more important) championship game is scheduled for 7:30 TV coverage?

I don't think he was really getting at how the game should continue. It seemed more like a comment on how pointless having the shootout was. The team knew going into the game that they needed to win (even pulled the goalie in OT), a loss or tie would do nothing. The main complaint was why have that fake finish to the game. Just call it a tie and be done with it. Who needs a 3rd place trophy anyway?

It's not a thing about class at all. His reaction is dead on. I just wish I could've heard the audio of this comment so I could hear the tone of his voice.

I turned on the Cornell-Northeastern game in the second and Northeastern was up 2-0. Cornell scored once in the second and twice late in the third, including one with 0:17 left in the game, to shock Northeastern 3-2!!!

They will face the winner of tonight's Notre Dame - Bemidji State game.

Go Big Red!!

Bemidji wins 5-1. How was Miami the only CCHA team to advance? What a crazy weekend. Well, if only one 1 seed could advance, thank god it was the right one. BU fell asleep for a while in the 2nd, but they completely thrashed OSU 8-3. The team hasn't put up as many goals lately, so it's good to see the offense wake up. Tomorrow will be a very interesting game against UNH, since it's practically a home game for them.

This 2OT Air Force-Vermont game seems interesting. I wish I could watch that. Air Force winning would be one hell of a story.

And Carp, I'm absolutely shocked by the Cornell win. That didn't seem like a good matchup to me at all. I'd love a BU-Cornell final, since I'm staying with a few Cornell people while down there.

They need to make a dvd of this tourney. What an absolutely insane series of events so far.

-3 of the #1 seeds fall, with bottom seed Bemidji slaughtering Notre Dame.

-Duluth score 2 goals in the final 40 seconds to tie Princeton, winning it in OT.

-UNH ties North Dakota with 0.1 seconds left, then wins it in OT.

-Air Force-Vermont with an ending that I can't even find the words for, in 2 OT.

I can't wait for tomorrow.

They need to make a dvd of this tourney. What an absolutely insane series of events so far.

-Duluth score 2 goals in the final 40 seconds to tie Princeton, winning it in OT.

-Air Force-Vermont with an ending that I can't even find the words for, in 2 OT.

I'm biased, of course, but I'd add:

-Cornell scores two goals in the final 4 minutes, including the game winner with 17 seconds left, against one of the best goalies in the country to beat Northeastern.

Who'd of thought that it would be Benji ... I mean Jumanji ... I mean Bemidji-Cornell out of that group?!

Based on how everything has been thrown out the window, I'd expect a 0-0 4OT game for UNH-BU and a 9-8 fire fight in Cornell-Bemidji tonight. I can't wait. The nerves are up there a bit as a BU fan though. I have some recent bad memories of regional finals against Hockey East teams, including UNH.

I can't wait for tomorrow.

I'm more shocked that over 6 minutes of playing time went by before they could even stop play to review it. I bet half the people in the rink had no idea what they were reviewing.

That said, they got the call right. The puck clearly beat Volkening and went into (and through!!) the net. How there was no hole in the net is beyond me.

shrader, did you also have some bad flashbacks watching that last night? :unsure:

Well, that sucked. Cornell scored first, but that would be it. Tied 1-1 going into the third, Bemidji State put in two early and added an empty netter to become the lowest seeded team ever to make it to the Frozen Four, outscoring two defensive teams by a combined 9-2. Crazy.

Well, it isn't possible for a lower seed to go that far. How in the hell did 1, 9, 13, and 16 make the frozen four? Even the BU players I ran into after the game tonight were shocked by this frozen four. It's one huge favorite and a group of massive underdogs. Of course, somehow the two higest remaining seeds play each other in the semis. Either way, this week is going to suck. Can I just leave for DC now?

I was pretty close with that 0-0 prediction though.

The ESPNU broadcast of the Cornell-Bemidji St. game shows that the network still doesn't have a f***ing clue. Right in the middle of the one period, they interview Joel Otto(Bemidji alum) for several minutes while the game is going on.

I'm not sure if the NHL ever goes back to ESPN from Versus that anything will be a heck of a lot better?

Archived