The Road the the Frozen Four

shrader

The ECAC and CCHA tourneys started today, so we're officially in the home stretch the the NCAA hockey tournament. Things look interesting this year as there are some new faces up near the top of the rankings, Notre Dame, Northeastern and Vermont. Last year's champion BC needs to get their act together if they hope to even make the tourney (just blew a late one goal lead over Northeastern as I'm typing this). This year really has a feel that it could be anyone's championship. In terms of rankings, BU is running away with things, and may already have the top overall seed in the tourney locked up. They're an absolute beast, but with single elimination, you can never be sure who will be there in the end.

I hope a few others around here are interested in this, because these games will start to show up on some of the lower cable networks and the newspapers. Here's an ever updating look at the rankings that determine the 16 team field for the tourney. The top 14 teams in the PWR will make the field, as long as there are no surprises in any of the conference tourneys. The lowly CHA and Atlantic Hockey will get the two other automatic bids (although, Air Force could actually end up in the top 14).

So who's keeping track of this and who do you think will go all the way?

The ECAC and CCHA tourneys started today, so we're officially in the home stretch the the NCAA hockey tournament. Things look interesting this year as there are some new faces up near the top of the rankings, Notre Dame, Northeastern and Vermont. Last year's champion BC needs to get their act together if they hope to even make the tourney (just blew a late one goal lead over Northeastern as I'm typing this). This year really has a feel that it could be anyone's championship. In terms of rankings, BU is running away with things, and may already have the top overall seed in the tourney locked up. They're an absolute beast, but with single elimination, you can never be sure who will be there in the end.

I hope a few others around here are interested in this, because these games will start to show up on some of the lower cable networks and the newspapers. Here's an ever updating look at the rankings that determine the 16 team field for the tourney. The top 14 teams in the PWR will make the field, as long as there are no surprises in any of the conference tourneys. The lowly CHA and Atlantic Hockey will get the two other automatic bids (although, Air Force could actually end up in the top 14).

So who's keeping track of this and who do you think will go all the way?

Hail to the Victors!! This just may be Michigan's year. Should be a good tournament.

Im going with Big Blue also been following them for a long time and have the hockey champions banner up in my place. BU against Michigan in the final. Frozen 4 will be BU, Michigan, ND, and North Dakota (sabres goalie carries them). Gotta love the local sports FSN channels that carry these games.

University of North Dakota -- the hottest team in the nation right now.

So I guess BU's one loss since thanksgiving and their 15 game unbeaten streak really doesn't mean all that much to you. I love the subjectivity of the "hottest team in the nation" label.

Go Big Red!! (I'm a Cornell alum.)

Also props to RIT! (I teach there.)

So you'll appreciate that fact that Harvard's season was ended by Brown last night. Brown was by far the worst team I've seen this year, yet somehow they still managed to put up their first consecutive wins of the season, by shutout no less, on the road in Cambridge.

So you'll appreciate that fact that Harvard's season was ended by Brown last night. Brown was by far the worst team I've seen this year, yet somehow they still managed to put up their first consecutive wins of the season, by shutout no less, on the road in Cambridge.

Any Harvard loss is a good one! :thumbsup:

Getting a guaranteed matchup with RPI rather than chancing having to meet Colgate (who played them tough during the regular season) in the quarterfinals is a bonus (Union would have been OK, if Quinnipiac had beaten Colgate.) Maybe Brown can shock Yale, too. After their last game against St. Lawrence (8-1 loss), it would be best if someone could knock them off, too.

Time for a weekly update:

Bemidji State is the first team in the field, winning the lowly CHA tournament. They're an essential lock for the 16th seed and a run in BU (unless something crazy happens).

The following teams seasons are finished:

HE: Providence, Merrimack

ECAC: Clarkson, Harvard, Dartmouth, Colgate, Brown, Quinnipiac, Union, RPI

CCHA: Ferris State, Bowling Green, Michigan State, Lake State, Western Michigan, UNO. With Ohio State and Miami sitting at home on the bubble playing the waiting game

WCHA: Michigan Tech, Colorado College, St. Cloud, Minnesota State, Alaska Anchorage

CHA: Alabama-Huntsville, Niagara, Robert Morris

Atlantic Hockey: UCONN, AIC, Sacred Heart, Canisius, Army, Holy Cross

So things have really thinned out. Teams like Minnesota-Duluth, Miami, Ohio State, BC, Wisconsin, and UMASS-Lowell are hovering right around the bubble. We've got two very interesting matchups coming up in the conference tournaments on friday, with BU-BC and Wisconsin-Denver, a pair of powerhouses meeting up with year long underachievers. Anything goes at this time of the year though. They've all been here before and they know what's on the line.

Carp, that Cornell-Princeton game could be pretty interesting too. The winner probably locks up a slot in the field, while the loser gets knocked down the the bubble. There's a lot on the line there.

You Michigan fans will enjoy your cupcake.

Carp, that Cornell-Princeton game could be pretty interesting too. The winner probably locks up a slot in the field, while the loser gets knocked down the the bubble. There's a lot on the line there.

Yeah, and they split two 1-point games in the regular season. Definitely going to be a tough battle.

Alaska isn't a cupcake they have the lowest GAA this year. Michigan will win but could be an upset.

I wish I got my butt over to see Princeton this year I could have made the Yale game but was pulled away from the 'better half'

Looking at their list of opponents and the fact that the game is at the Joe, I'll stick by my cupcake statement.

Speaking of Yale and Princeton, I wish I had a clue how I got to see an Ivy like Brown play but not either of those two schools.

Is the NHL network going to show any of these games or is there any kind of TV schedule at all. I'd love to be able to see some of them. Getting to watch all the games leading up to the Frozen Four was the biggest benefits of the lockout year.

Is the NHL network going to show any of these games or is there any kind of TV schedule at all. I'd love to be able to see some of them. Getting to watch all the games leading up to the Frozen Four was the biggest benefits of the lockout year.

If you have a dish that carries NESN, you can get the Hockey East tourney this weekend. I think the FSN's out of the Minnesota and Detroit areas should have the WCHA and CCHA tourneys.

Once the NCAA's roll around, I believe I've read that most of the regionals will be on ESPNU. ESPN also holds the rights to the frozen four games, so hopefully those would get the bump up to the deuce.

Shrader is right you get the CCHA on FSN or Big Ten network and WCHA on other FSN regional networks or a cbs sports channel. For Comcast you need the sports package.

I for one do not have ESPNU so thats upsetting but the frozen four was on ESPN last year so hopefully they do that again.

If you have a dish that carries NESN, you can get the Hockey East tourney this weekend. I think the FSN's out of the Minnesota and Detroit areas should have the WCHA and CCHA tourneys.

Once the NCAA's roll around, I believe I've read that most of the regionals will be on ESPNU. ESPN also holds the rights to the frozen four games, so hopefully those would get the bump up to the deuce.

:thumbsup:

Shrader is right you get the CCHA on FSN or Big Ten network and WCHA on other FSN regional networks or a cbs sports channel. For Comcast you need the sports package.

I for one do not have ESPNU so thats upsetting but the frozen four was on ESPN last year so hopefully they do that again.

I guess it all depends on what else is happening that weekend. We all know that ESPN will bump hockey down if there's some crappy poker tourney going on that day. I can't see it falling beyond airing on ESPN 2 though. But then again, it's nice not having to worry about any of this. I'll be in either Bridgeport or Worcester for the eastern regionals and then in DC for the frozen four. It's my superbowl and is a blast every year.

Big game tonight! Go Big Red!

BTW, it looks like you can watch the ECAC Tournament online for $20. Being the glutton for punishment that I am, I'll be watching the Sabres game tonight and tomorrow, so I probably won't buy the pass.

You lucky bastard, frozen four! Enjoy and keep the updates coming.

This will be my 4th frozen four. For each of the first 3, BC has beaten North Dakota in the semis. Maybe that will finally end.

As for updates, I'll try, but I'm going to be in rough shape this weekend. The HE tourney is traditionally my tune up for the frozen four. It's one of my last chances to boost that tolerance a bit. The 2PM start for lunch and alcohol is an annual tradition.

NHL Network has the games with Cornell conference in it. St Lawerence vs. Yale at 4pm then Cornell vs. Princeton at 7pm. The ECAC i think.

Both semi's are today.

Archived