The Islanders - have they always been this bad?

Forgive my ignorance, but the Islanders have been off my radar for many a moon. I seem to recall them a long time ago being pretty good, but, the old brain ain't what she used to be. Have they always sucked so bad? I mean, their season so far has been a real embarrassment.

They were really good in the early-1980s, winning the cup in '80, '81, '82 and '83 (4-2, 4-1, 4-0 and 4-0, respectively), and losing in the cup finals in '84. They made, but had early exits from, the playoffs for the rest of 1980's. However, starting in 1989, they have missed in 12 of 19 years. They've also had first round exits in 6 of the remaining seven years. The lone multi-round year was '93, where they lost 1-4 in the Conference Finals.

Since the lockout, they have really sucked. They've had 78, 92 and 79 over those years and their only playoff appearance was the 1-4 loss to us in the first round after just squeaking in. They'll be lucky to crack 60 points this year. Of course, signing a franchise goaltender to a 10-year deal and then having him be injured all the time doesn't help.

Since the lockout, they have really sucked. They've had 78, 92 and 79 over those years and their only playoff appearance was the 1-4 loss to us in the first round after just squeaking in. They'll be lucky to crack 60 points this year. Of course, signing a franchise goaltender to a 10-year deal and then having him be injured all the time doesn't help.

Let's not forget Mad Mike Milbury. Mike nearly single-handedly set that franchise back ten years with some of his moves.

And it was a 15-year deal for DiPietro, not 10. Those geniuses gave 10 years to Yashin.

Let's not forget Mad Mike Milbury. Mike nearly single-handedly set that franchise back ten years with some of his moves.

And it was a 15-year deal for DiPietro, not 10. Those geniuses gave 10 years to Yashin.

And it's not like Garth Snow is a heckuva lot better than Mike, which is downright scary.

And yeah, those two contracts you mention are now chapters 28 and 29 in the "textbook for new GM's" as prime examples of how NOT to run a franchise.

Who the hell signs ANYONE for that length of time.

Anywho - okay thanks! That's what I thought. I remember in the early '80s when I was a young buck my older brother was heavily into hockey (had Sabres collateral all over the walls) and we'd watch hockey all of the time. That must be the Islander team that left that impression on me.

I suppose, if nothing else, at least they have a few cups in their history.

Forgive my ignorance, but the Islanders have been off my radar for many a moon. I seem to recall them a long time ago being pretty good, but, the old brain ain't what she used to be. Have they always sucked so bad? I mean, their season so far has been a real embarrassment.

Google is your friend and you're confusing ignorance with laziness! :nana:

Google is your friend and you're confusing ignorance with laziness! :nana:

carpandean saved me at least a half hour of googling and reading - and let's not discount the value of discussion with good comrades. So, google may be a tool, but it's nothing like a "friend".

I just searched for "Islanders seasons" on Wikipedia. It took longer to type the info here. ;)

:bag:

Okay, so I could have looked it up and not wasted bandwidth. Though it's more enjoyable to have the conversation than it is to search. No?

These are hilarious! Thanks for asking!

AO >>>>>>> RDP

Oh, no doubt about it. I was just answering the question. What the Caps did may turn out to be one of the smartest moves in hockey history. It's already the smartest move in team history, but that's not a very high standard.

Archived