Just for fun - Future retired numbers?

NowDoYouBelieve

Which current Sabres players will eventually see their names and numbers hung atop the arena? My prediction is Miller, Vanek, and Butler (just have a good feeling on him).

Realistically, I'd say that only Vanek has a shot. Miller will be very good, but I don't see him reaching that level. It's way too early to say anything about Butler, but it's generally harder for defensemen to get that honor.

Realistically, I'd say that only Vanek has a shot. Miller will be very good, but I don't see him reaching that level. It's way too early to say anything about Butler, but it's generally harder for defensemen to get that honor.

Miller would need a couple Vezinas before he should ever be considered. I don't see that ever happening. Hell, he might need a Hart or two before he belongs in the same conversation as the next goalie who will have his number up there someday.

Edit: On second thought, a Conn Smythe would be enough.

Richard Smehlik? Really?

In seriousness, no current Sabre, unless Vanek scores 500 in a Sabres' uniform. I don't think LaFontaine's number or Gare's number should have been retired, either. This honor shouldn't be given cheaply. My thinking is that there are three numbers in Sabres history that definitely should be retired, and that for two more, there's a strong argument:

2--That's just what has to be done when an active player dies.

11, 39--should be obvious.

7, 14--arguable. Without the whole line, the Sabres might never have generated the excitement and momentum that are so important to the early years of a franchise.

25? Let Tampa do it.

Way too early to tell. I think Vanek could be, Miller might have an outside shot, and given their legends, Max and Timmy should be in the rafters right now.

Buffalo has too many retired number as it is. That honor should be for the very best in franchise history.

EDIT: I didn't read Eleven's post all the way through. Good stuff, and I agree. The only numbers that should be up there are 11 and 39. I would have been fine with putting Tim Horton on the "wall of Fame" or something similar, but it's hard to argue when an active player dies.

Richard Smehlik? Really?

In seriousness, no current Sabre, unless Vanek scores 500 in a Sabres' uniform. I don't think LaFontaine's number or Gare's number should have been retired, either. This honor shouldn't be given cheaply. My thinking is that there are three numbers in Sabres history that definitely should be retired, and that for two more, there's a strong argument:

2--That's just what has to be done when an active player dies.

11, 39--should be obvious.

7, 14--arguable. Without the whole line, the Sabres might never have generated the excitement and momentum that are so important to the early years of a franchise.

25? Let Tampa do it.

Why would Tampa retire Varada's number?

I don't know about 42. I liked Mikko Makela but I don't think he is worthy of having a number retired. Maybe a statue or something.

Way too early to tell. I think Vanek could be, Miller might have an outside shot, and given their legends, Max and Timmy should be in the rafters right now.

Buffalo has too many retired number as it is. That honor should be for the very best in franchise history.

EDIT: I didn't read Eleven's post all the way through. Good stuff, and I agree. The only numbers that should be up there are 11 and 39. I would have been fine with putting Tim Horton on the "wall of Fame" or something similar, but it's hard to argue when an active player dies.

:sick:

Archived