[OT] "Everyone knows everyone"

PASabreFan

In the wake of the Flight 3407 tragedy, I've heard a lot about the character of Buffalo. Full disclosure: I've never lived in or all that close to the city. I do know the city's nickname is "The City of Good Neighbors." And that it's known as a big city that feels like a small town.

The consensus seems to be that Buffalo is different.

Bucky wrote:

"I've said it a zillion times, and I'll say it again: Sports aren't life and death, but they are life. It's especially true in Buffalo and the 'burbs, where the six degrees of separation everywhere else become one half-degree here. Many of us will know a victim or a victim's relative."

Note the word "especially."

Tim Schmitt wrote:

"Lindy isn?t from here, but he?s been here plenty long enough to understand the ties. Everyone knows everyone."

Is Buffalo different? Or couldn't every city in the country say the same thing? Would Kansas City or Cincinnati or Dallas react differently? Living in a small town, I think every comment I've heard about Buffalo could be made about where I live. So many people have left Buffalo, are these comments just a way to "buck up" and justify the decision of the rest to stay?

I want Buffalo to be different, so I'm looking forward to hearing why it is from those who live there and those who moved away and might have another perspective on this question.

In the wake of the Flight 3407 tragedy, I've heard a lot about the character of Buffalo. Full disclosure: I've never lived in or all that close to the city. I do know the city's nickname is "The City of Good Neighbors." And that it's known as a big city that feels like a small town.

The consensus seems to be that Buffalo is different.

Bucky wrote:

"I've said it a zillion times, and I'll say it again: Sports aren't life and death, but they are life. It's especially true in Buffalo and the 'burbs, where the six degrees of separation everywhere else become one half-degree here. Many of us will know a victim or a victim's relative."

Note the word "especially."

Tim Schmitt wrote:

"Lindy isn?t from here, but he?s been here plenty long enough to understand the ties. Everyone knows everyone."

Is Buffalo different? Or couldn't every city in the country say the same thing? Would Kansas City or Cincinnati or Dallas react differently? Living in a small town, I think every comment I've heard about Buffalo could be made about where I live. So many people have left Buffalo, are these comments just a way to "buck up" and justify the decision of the rest to stay?

I want Buffalo to be different, so I'm looking forward to hearing why it is from those who live there and those who moved away and might have another perspective on this question.

Well, in Cincy, they'd just start arresting people, but other than that, it's probably similar. I've lived in two other communities that have experienced tragedy, and I think the reaction is very much the same here as it was in those instances, with the exception that this time, there's no one to blame (the other two instances were attacks). Buffalo might be culturally different from most American cities, but when something like this happens, I think people pull together no matter where they are.

I do think there's a little more "everyone knows everyone" in a smaller city like Buffalo or KC than in a larger city.

I think everyone really does know everyone here in Buffalo. We really are a big little city as some have said before. We're a lot bigger than we give ourselves credit for when you think how most of the the people here in the US live in small towns, not in or around cities. But with around a million people in the area, it's still amazing the connections people to one another.

As someone who lives in Clarence, it's just been a weird few days to say the least with the plane crash. I only live about 6 min away from where it went down and my house is pretty much directly over the flight path of the planes that head to the airport. I actually graduated high school with the older sister of a girl on board the plane.

Plus as I found out Friday night, the house that the plane hit belonged to the family of a girl I dated about 5 years ago. So knowing that I had been inside there and met the father who was killed felt very freaky to say the least. He was a good guy who was very close to his family, he had 4 daughters, one of which just got engaged just 3 or so weeks ago. The whole thing is just very sad. There is definitely a very somber, much of it unspoken, feeling here this weekend.

I really don't think Buffalo is that different. There were 4 people from my company who were on one of the planes for 9/11. A friend of mine was on that same flight the Tuesday before 9/11/01. 9/11 was much more personal for those in Boston and New York because most of those that perished were from those cities.

edit: I also am pretty good friend with a girl who was the supervisor for the United flight attendants that died on 9/11...

I really don't think Buffalo is that different. There were 4 people from my company who were on one of the planes for 9/11. A friend of mine was on that same flight the Tuesday before 9/11/01. 9/11 was much more personal for those in Boston and New York because most of those that perished were from those cities.

And Washington.

I don't know. I think the level that "everyone knows everyone" does depend on the area, notably size (population and land mass) and stability (i.e., transiency). We lived in Orlando for three years and never got that sense of community or "people helping people," even when the hurricanes hit. There didn't seem to be a lot of those random acts of assistance you get used to in WNY - it really seemed like more of a "every man for himself" attitude. I've seen more of a "Buffalo" mentality here in most areas in/around Cleveland, so maybe it's a Northern/Great Lakes thing.

It could also be my growing up in WNY has biased my opinions, given the sense of community I've seen/experienced over 25 years of snowstorms, etc.

In the wake of the Flight 3407 tragedy, I've heard a lot about the character of Buffalo.

I've read everyones posts and there is allot of good truth in them. First IMHO, there is a basic wiring in human nature that reacts to tragedy at a simular level regardless of situtation or location, you can call that humanity, conscieous, etc.

However after 30 plus years of growing up and living in WNY and now having lived elsewhere for 18 years I do know there is something that distinguishes Buffalo from just that basic feeling to me.

Maybe it's the water, special raditiation indiginous to area, the weather swings, the national ridicule, family still living there, Indian burial grounds, whatever, that doesn't really matter other than once having lived there and exposed you genuinely learn to identify with and care about your neighbor, community and shared experiences more than anywhere else I've lived. Maybe that plays to other basic human instincts, like community, underdog axiom, etc. ? I don't know, I'm not a licensed Clinical Psychologist but I did stay at a Holiday inn express last night.

What I do know is that my experiences and time spent in Buffalo are a huge part of me today and always will be and seem to have grown even more now that I am away and it is something that I will never shrink from. I am more proud of it to this day and/or especially when anyone attempts to riducle my hometown or dissess any underdog for that fact.

Maybe the time living there I drank enough cool aid to last a lifetime but as far I am concerned it will always be GO Buffalo !. :thumbsup:

I would like to start out by sending my condolences to the people of Buffalo who lost friends and family on the fatal crash of the Continental flight. There's really not enough words of sympathy at a time like this to ease the pain of loss.

Not ever having lived or grown up in Buffalo I can only assume its somewhat similar to Wichita Kansas where I am living now. We are roughly a city of nearly 1/2 to 3/4 of a million people. This is the closest place I know of that I call the biggest little city in Kansas. I don't know everyone but it seems whenever a tragedy occurs like the one in Greensburg, Kansas where a tornado almost wiped out a whole town, that you realize that those people have relatives living here and around close by. It seems when something like this happens it brings out the best in people who gave donations, food items or offer shelter during these periods of time. It really draws the community closer together. So I think I have a good idea of what you all are talking about in this thread.

I lived in Buffalo for 23 years before moving to Albany for the past 6. I have to say the things I miss the most about WNY is the sense of hominess and community. Where else in the country can you have a snowstorm in the middle of October, people helping people shovel driveways and bail water in basements, and then sell out HSBC Arena for a freaking Sabres game in the same weekend. Where else does a hockey game help the grief after a tragic plane crash? When people ask me if I miss Buffalo, I say "of course" When they ask "Why?" (and then make some crack about snow, cold, or Norwood) I can't give an answer. Being a Buffalonian is a feeling that can't be described.

Born and raised in Niagara Falls, and lived there for 25 years before moving to Phoenix.

I believe it is different in Buffalo. Its different because Buffalo is one of those cities that usually takes a beating on a national level because things such as: Cold Weather, Snow, Sports Teams, etc.

Because of that, I believe that it bonds people together, and gives everyone more of a sense of pride.

Like other cities Phoenix may have more to offer, but its not Buffalo. People here don't come together for anything.

I'm proud to tell people I'm from WNY. Its nice to go on vacation and come home to WNY.

So when something tragic happens in the community like it did a few days ago....I'm not surprised at all to see the area pull together. Thats what makes that town special.

Where else does a hockey game help the grief after a tragic plane crash?

I think it has more to do with the fact that Buffalo/WNY is so damn poor and that people don't really have all that much to look forward to. If the economic times weren't as depressing as they are, adding a tragic plane crash surely doesn't help anyone feel any better. So you turn to something that takes your mind of off things, and that's the Buffalo Sabres.

Buffalo is very different. A few years back a commuter american jet went down in Raleigh and not sure how many were killed etc ( may have been all on board about 50 ) The community reaction was very different than what I have heard and seen from reports out of Buffalo. I dont recall any special tributes, a brief mention in church the following week etc. The difference I think i sthat even folks from the small towns of WNY all feel we are from Buffalo around here folks are mostly transplants and were the live is just that were they live not were they grew up.

Upon additional reflection IMHO I have come to the conclusion that what differentiates us is what draws all us Buffaloians together is sharing our ability to "Endeavor to Persevere".

Whether you have lived there around WNY and persevered a winter, the economy, the Bills and/or 4 super bowl losses, the sabres up's and downs, or even from afar persevered posters on this board (you know who you are) and just being a fan rooting for Buffalo teams.

We have all shared not just participated in the ups and downs and thats what makes the Bflo experience different. To get back up again, never give up, carry on and continue to have Hope.

I'm feeling like a good group board hug about now.... :cry: You all wrap your arms around yourselves and give your self a squeeze on me. ;)

Buffalonians are the first to talk down their city but get very defensive when outsiders pick on it. The cliche is "circling the wagons" but it is an appropriate saying for how Buffalonians act.

Buffalo is also close to being a mid-west town although being in a mid-atlantic state. Folks in mid-America seem to be more open with others than people in the East (I live in the greater NY area and we can be really cold to others here).

Growing up in Buffalo, and the values, weather tolerance, etc., that instills in one is something you notice when you move away.

Archived