Ryan Miller tied for 2nd in Shutouts??

matter2003

I am in utter shock that Miller is tied for 2nd in the NHL after tonite with 5...he never has been the type of goalie to pitch lots of shutouts, but it seems to me he is staying more focused throughout the games this year whereas in the past he would let his attention drift late in the game and let in that one goal that would leave you shaking your head as to how he could play so well for so long and then let a goal like that in....

Just thought I would ask if anyone else has noticed anything different about Miller this year that is allowing him to finish these games off where he didn't in prior years...

I am in utter shock that Miller is tied for 2nd in the NHL after tonite with 5...he never has been the type of goalie to pitch lots of shutouts, but it seems to me he is staying more focused throughout the games this year whereas in the past he would let his attention drift late in the game and let in that one goal that would leave you shaking your head as to how he could play so well for so long and then let a goal like that in....

Just thought I would ask if anyone else has noticed anything different about Miller this year that is allowing him to finish these games off where he didn't in prior years...

Well in this particular game, our defense was just very tight and he only had to face 16 shots, but for the most part he is facing around 30 a night. I couldn't tell you what the difference is, but he is putting up the best season of his young career. 2.47 GAA, .918%, 5 shutouts, 25 wins...nothing not to like there.

I'd be curious to know how many shutouts Miller has when Lydman and Tallinder have been paired together during a game.

Not that our D is to blame for "soft" goals, but I do think that Miller's success can be partially attributed to the improved defensive play this year. Miller hasn't been left out to dry as often as in year's past. We have changed our style of play to better suit Miller I think. I remember in the past Ruff would even comment on how we were going to press and pinch more and that Miller would have to make some big saves. You don't see that as much this year.

That, or I could be totally full of it and Miller is just that much better, but I think it's a good mixture of both.

It's been a tale of three seasons so far. Two of them have been good. That should bode well for the rest of the season and playoffs. I think Miller's career is at a turning point. Any turning back to the "old Miller" now would be a disaster. I don't see it happening, and I've been one of his biggest critics.

He's been improving in this category each season. In 05-06, he had 1. In 06-07 he had 2. In 07-08 he had 3. Now this season he has 5. Yesterday's game must have felt like what Detroit goalies have to go through for their shutouts.

And since goalies don't typically hit their prime until they're in their 30s, hopefully the best is yet to come.

Archived