Looking At The Calgary Game

CallawaySabres

Up until the 3rd period last night, I thought this team played some great hockey. A healthy defense with a just ONE move at the deadline will put this team in a very good position. Roy and Stafford are on fire and I only see them getting better the 2nd half. Butler had a brutal game and Miller had a few shaky goals.

I was very surprised Lalime did not play last night as it looked like the perfect situation. Basically, Miller has been playing some good hockey and the passing has been the best I've seen in a while. If Kipp did not have a ridiculous save on Paille, who knows where that game would have gone. The effort was there (minus the third) and the attitude seems to be a bit tougher as of late. Let's get thesed next two games and come back home!

The brutal month of January is almost over and you could not have asked for much more. A lot of people said this month would make or break this team.....you know what, they did not break!! I took a look at Florida's February schedule and it is not pretty. Pittsburgh will probably make a run which leaves Florida as the one team to worry about. I like the way Feb shakes out and as long as they stay above that 9 spot, I'll be happy. Who knows, Rangers, Philly and Montreal are not too far ahead. Let's get some D help and off we go.

The effort was there (minus the third)

I would argue that right up until Lydman's poor play on Bertuzzi, the effort was there in the third, too. The outplayed the Flames in the first seven minutes of that period, but that goal really seemed to take a lot out of them.

I would argue that right up until Lydman's poor play on Bertuzzi, the effort was there in the third, too. The outplayed the Flames in the first seven minutes of that period, but that goal really seemed to take a lot out of them.

I agree, they came out flying to begin the third and then it just came apart with the brutal 6 minute let down (3 goals)

Paille missing that breakaway deke could have put the game away. That was a killer. Give credit to "Kipper" too, nice save. Also, Hecht hitting the post too. Damn... shoulda, coulda, woulda!!

As soon as "Bert" scored on a terrible play by Loods, it was over. Miller on two squeakers didn't help either.

Paille missing that breakaway deke could have put the game away. That was a killer. Give credit to "Kipper" too, nice save. Also, Hecht hitting the post too. Damn... shoulda, coulda, woulda!!

As soon as "Bert" scored on a terrible play by Loods, it was over. Miller on two squeakers didn't help either.

Twice, actually.

I agree, at least grab the guy Toni, don't let him blow past you like that...

The Kipper save on Paille wasn't on a breakaway .... Paille retrieved the puck from the corner - beating a Flames D-man too it, made a great move to cut between the net and the defenseman, and then was robbed by Kipper.

Paille turned a one-on-one in the corner into a great scoring chance.

I caught a good portion of the game. Good tempo and hustle. Having a healthy TC in the line up really helps the scoring balance (as many have noted) and gives 3rd-4th line options as well (gaustaud, Kotalik, Paillie, Mair, Ellis, etc.).

I agree that the Sabres looked good to start the 3rd. Then the Flames seemed to realize that the best place to play was in the Sabres zone - the Flames forecheck gave the Sabres heart-burn in the 3rd. To be expected somewhat given all the injuries on the Sabres D.

I believe that the altitude in Calgary (1,408 Meters) and Edmonton (668 Meters) is about as intense as Denver (1,609 Meters). Given that they played back to back nights, with travel, I think it's quite obvious why they looked out of gas.

That's not a bad observation actually, 1.408 Meters above sea level is nothing to sneeze at, especially in a game like hockey where it's start/stop, high intensity intervals all the time.

What I'd really like to see is a stat on how teams from cities of, oh I dunno 500 meters above sea level, normally fare in places like Calgary and Denver.

no this team is the same. They are a .500 team, 50 gp 25 wins.

THey arent going to be any better than that, they havent been all season. They are not on the right track theyre on the same track.

One could point out that they are 8-4-0 in January, well above .500 (in both the NHL % of points and usual wins/games senses of the term.) However, I think it's more telling to look at what they have done since their bad stretch in November (and a little into December) where they lost 8 of 10. In the 24 games after that point, they are 14-8-2, which is fair amount above .500 (again in both senses.) In last year and the start of this year, they had lots of peak and valleys, so the question still remains as to whether this is just another peak or if they have really found a consistent groove. Generally, those peaks and valleys were significantly shorter than 24 games, so that is, in and of itself, a good sign.

One could point out that they are 8-4-0 in January, well above .500 (in both the NHL % of points and usual wins/games senses of the term.) However, I think it's more telling to look at what they have done since their bad stretch in November (and a little into December) where they lost 8 of 10. In the 24 games after that point, they are 14-8-2, which is fair amount above .500 (again in both senses.) In last year and the start of this year, they had lots of peak and valleys, so the question still remains as to whether this is just another peak or if they have really found a consistent groove. Generally, those peaks and valleys were significantly shorter than 24 games, so that is, in and of itself, a good sign.

You make great points. Said what i was trying to say in much clearer way. I want this team to be on the right track, however i just dont see them playing this kinda hockey here on out. They will valley again and kepp the rough .500 win %. i dont think they will finish above 6th or 7th in conf .

now if connolly stays healthy and/or they bring someone in that could change

You make great points. Said what i was trying to say in much clearer way. I want this team to be on the right track, however i just dont see them playing this kinda hockey here on out. They will valley again and kepp the rough .500 win %. i dont think they will finish above 6th or 7th in conf .

now if connolly stays healthy and/or they bring someone in that could change

I think what most fans want around here is ANYTHING between 6-8. My point of this thread was just to say that I have a lot more confidence in this team than I did a month ago. They are giving a lot of effort and after that surge they gave in the 2nd and first part of 3rd period in Calgary, they were bound to show a little fatigue.

I would like to add that until Bertuzi's goal, I was more impressed with their play against Calgary then I was with the 10 goals against Edmonton. I'm lookiing to see how they finish this trip off this weekend.

I agree, Edmonton really did not show up at all so that winning that game did not take nearly the effort it took to stay in the game in Calgary for 50 minutes.

Archived