The un-Official Injury Thread

spndnchz

Seems to be piling up recently. If this offends the hockey gods please remove.

? D Henrik Tallinder suffered a shoulder injury Jan. 21. There is no timetable for his return.

? D Teppo Numminen was struck in the face by a puck Jan. 17 and will not return until mid-February.

? D Andrej Sekera suffered a lower-body injury Jan. 14 against Chicago. He will be out until early February.

? RW Patrick Kaleta has not played since Dec. 19 because of a neck injury. He is out until mid-February.

? RW Maxim Afinogenov suffered a groin injury Jan. 3 in Boston and is out indefinitely. He resumed light skating Jan. 17.

Sekera being the only one I would really like to see back

Then Teppo, Hank, Kaleta, Max

From News article

Jochen Hecht missed the third period. He was blindsided by a hit earlier in the game and experienced blurry vision.

Spacek suffered a hip injury and played just 4:04. He went to the dressing room after leveling Phoenix's Enver Lisin with a big hit just 7:46 into the game. He played just one 22-second shift late in the first period before retiring for the night and said, "We'll see," about returning for Monday's game in Anaheim.

Lindy interview:

http://sabres.nhl.tv/team/console.jsp?catid=23&id=32377

Do you have an idea if Jaro [spacek] will be able to go tomorrow?

"It doesn?t look like it, no, that Jochen [Hecht] or Jaro will be able to play."

Will you call someone up?

"Yeah it looks like it."

I saw Mike Weber did play in the last game [for the AHL Portland Pirates].

"Yeah, I don?t know if that has been confirmed yet or not but he would be the choice. So that will be a decision we will have to make."

Adam [Mair] skated, what is his status?

"I think he?s good to go. He got a good skate in yesterday and got a good skate in today so he?s available. And Andrew [Peters] is available, so we have lots of bodies."

Max is probably just biding his time until his contract expires. He's probably already mentally checked out and waiting for free agency and/or the chance to go to the KHL.

How bad does his groin/hip have to get before we can LT-IR him and save that cap space?

Darcy should've taken that bag of pucks when he had the chance.

I really doubt they even were offered the bag.

Listening to MLB hot stove talk they were blaming the lack of movement on the 90 or so remaining free agents on the economy. The economy has to have had some effect on how NHL have done business. I can't imagine a team willing take on a $3 million train wreck. It will be interesting to see how the rent-a-player market plays itself out.

You think the team is going to suddenly bring on $8.8 million worth of a cap hit at this point? LTIRing Max doesn't have any meaningful impact on this team.

Defensemen are dropping like flies, Connolly is one hangnail away from his season ending, and there are still a couple other areas that could be upgraded. Not saying they'd definitely use any of their current space to address any of these issues, but I'd rather have the cap space and not need it than keep Max's cap # on the books.

Defensemen are dropping like flies, Connolly is one hangnail away from his season ending, and there are still a couple other areas that could be upgraded. Not saying they'd definitely use any of their current space to address any of these issues, but I'd rather have the cap space and not need it than keep Max's cap # on the books.

Yeah, they'll add a little, but I can't see them coming close to the regular cap, let alone the little bonus they'd get out of Max. If they were actually going to add a relatively big money player, a currently rostered player could easily end up going the other way. So that would lessen the hit brought on by any big money player a bit.

Not that I see them adding a big money player though. We're far more likely to see one or two players with at a decent salary figure. That's not to say that these type of guys can't help, because they definitely can.

? LW Thomas Vanek (broken jaw) will be out until March.

? D Henrik Tallinder suffered a shoulder injury Jan. 21. There is no timetable for his return

? D Andrej Sekera suffered an ankle injury Jan. 14 against Chicago. He?s day-to-day and close to returning.

? RW Maxim Afinogenov suffered a groin injury Jan. 3 in Boston and is out indefinitely.

? C Paul Gaustad suffered an upper-body injury Feb. 4 and is out until at least the end of February.

Noteworthy:

Weber didn't practice with the Pirates at HSBC today. So either Sekera got some time left to heal or Patches is still playing forward.

Call me crazy, but I think Paille should play with Connolly and Stafford on Wed. He steps it up with better players.

Per BuffNews:

The Sabres' defense will get a boost with the return of Andrej Sekera, who has missed a dozen games with an ankle injury.

Defenseman Mike Weber has been returned to Portland of the American Hockey League.

Blue-liner Teppo Numminen, who missed the third period Wednesday, was back on the ice.

Stafford and Ellis working on being in front of the net for PowerPlays.

Why not Mair or Kaleta? I'd prefer Stafford away from the net shooting or setting up a shot. Heck I'd even try Tallinder (yeah right) or Rivet.

Kaleta's a bit too small. If the goalie can see over him, there really isn't much of a point of having him out there. Mair would be an interesting option though since he's pretty much the same size as Ellis or Stafford. If they really wanted to experiment, what about Peters if he ever actually makes it into the lineup?

Yeah, there's my crazy thought for the day.

If they really wanted to experiment, what about Peters if he ever actually makes it into the lineup?

Yeah, there's my crazy thought for the day.

Peters sounds great to me. At least he'd take the beating. He may not be able to sweep the puck into an open net but he sure would be a heck of a screen. It's depressing that it's gotten to this point.

Peters sounds great to me. At least he'd take the beating. He may not be able to sweep the puck into an open net but he sure would be a heck of a screen. It's depressing that it's gotten to this point.

It's even a more depressing thought when you realize that some of the other teams the Sabres are battling are going to make deals to improve their positions. The Sabres improvements have to "come from within." The more I look at the roster the more I feel a huge overhaul is needed. With players like Ellis, Peters, Paestch, Mair, Kaleta, MacArthur and Paille on the roster how can you expect to make the playoffs. Even the players with talent like Max, Kotalik, Hecht and Pominville have greatly disappointed.

Archived