Vanek selected for EC All-Star team

carpandean

Thomas Vanek will be our only All-Star this season. The forwards for the EC are pretty sick. NHL.com describes it well:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=402847

EC Roster

Forwards:

Evgeni Malkin (Penguins)

Sidney Crosby (Penguins)

Alexei Kovalev (Canadiens)

Alexander Ovechkin (Capitals)

Vincent Lecavalier (Lightning)

Eric Staal (Hurricanes)

Thomas Vanek (Sabres)

Marc Savard (Bruins)

Zach Parise (Devils)

Danny Heatley (Senators)

Ilya Kovalchuk (Thrashers)

Jeff Carter (Flyers)

Defensemen:

Mike Komisarek (Canadiens)

Andrei Markov (Canadiens)

Jay Bouwmeester (Panthers)

Zdeno Chara (Bruins)

Mark Streit (Islanders)

Thomas Kaberle (Maple Leafs)

Goaltenders:

Carey Price (Canadiens)

Tim Thomas (Bruins)

Henrik Lundqvist (Rangers)

I can't wait for all the "how did they leave Kessel off the squad" complaints out here in Boston. We would've had more back in 06-07 too, but its a numbers game and they have to get every team out there.

do they have to include at least one player from each team? that would nullify my previous post then

do they have to include at least one player from each team? that would nullify my previous post then

Yeah, and I'm sure it would've provided a major headache if they hadn't fixed the voting a bit to correct the early all Montreal thing they had going.

I can't wait for all the "how did they leave Kessel off the squad" complaints out here in Boston. We would've had more back in 06-07 too, but its a numbers game and they have to get every team out there.

Ha. Made me think of the morons here in Philly getting upset that some guy named Hasek beat out Hextall...

Yeah, basically there are 15 spots for the "one for each team" selections and 6 slots for everyone else. The starting roster has a second penguin and three additional Canadiens, leaving just two slots for teams' second selections. Boston actually got both of those (three total with Chara, Savard, Thomas.)

Edit: too many Canadiens. I missed that they had four starters, not three.

Yeah, basically there are 15 spots for the "one for each team" selections and 6 slots for everyone else. The starting roster has a second penguin and two additional Canadiens, leaving just three slots for teams' second selections. Boston should be happy that they got two of those (three total with Chara, Savard, Thomas.)

I can't wait for the eventual "both Thomas AND Fernandez should've made it" argument that someone is sure to float out there.

Well, glad to see Vanek make it, but I don't think the roster is all that fair.

First, I'd substitute Semin for Kovalev even though Kovalev was voted in. Ovechkin should have been voted in as a starter and Semin should be taking Kovalev's spot as Semin is much more deserving of the spot this year than Kovalev.

Second, while I hate Boston, Wideman deserves to be in there over Komisarek. Again, I know Komisarek was voted in, but in terms of play this year and who's more deserving of the spot, I think Wideman deserves a spot this year and Komisarek as a defensive defenseman doesn't really have much place in the All-Star Game. Clearly, the Montreal fans' ballot stuffing has prevented deserving players of making the team and prevented Ovechkin from being named a starter, which is downright silly.

Clearly, the Montreal fans' ballot stuffing has prevented deserving players of making the team and prevented Ovechkin from being named a starter, which is downright silly.

What's the big deal with being a starter though? They get one quick shift together and then the lines get shuffled. It's a meaningless offer. You won't see anyone signing a better contract offer because they're a 5 time all star game starter.

What's the big deal with being a starter though? They get one quick shift together and then the lines get shuffled. It's a meaningless offer. You won't see anyone signing a better contract offer because they're a 5 time all star game starter.

Being starters meant that Montreal got more players on a limited roster than they should have. Like I said, because of the "at least one per team" rule, there are only six slots for second (or higher) players and three of those were automatically given to Canadiens. Without being starters, I'd guess one would have been; two tops. Meaning that 1-2 more deserving players didn't make the team.

Being starters meant that Montreal got more players on a limited roster than they should have. Like I said, because of the "at least one per team" rule, there are only six slots for second (or higher) players and three of those were automatically given to Canadiens. Without being starters, I'd guess one would have been; two tops. Meaning that 1-2 more deserving players didn't make the team.

I'd be fine with the NHL limiting the number of starters fans can vote in from a certain team. No more than one in each group - 1 F, 1 D and 1 G.

They can put Kessel in that young players game; if they are still doing that.

I heard they are going to copy the NBA and do a sophomore vs. freshman game. Although that was in the off-season when i heard it and can't remember if it was an idea and actual deal.

If so, i'm sure Sekera and MacArthur could play it in?

I heard they are going to copy the NBA and do a sophomore vs. freshman game. Although that was in the off-season when i heard it and can't remember if it was an idea and actual deal.

If so, i'm sure Sekera and MacArthur could play it in?

If they do run that this year, I would think Sekera would be picked for sure.

I can see an argument for putting him in instead of Savard, but the numbers don't let them both make it.

That was the first omission from the list I noticed as he is having a great year. I really dislike the idea that every team has at least one rep. It drives their salary unreasonably high (i.e., Campbell), and would seem to me that it makes it harder to build a team because of that. There is a reason a team is a bottom feeder, and it usually is because there are no real all stars.

That was the first omission from the list I noticed as he is having a great year. I really dislike the idea that every team has at least one rep. It drives their salary unreasonably high (i.e., Campbell), and would seem to me that it makes it harder to build a team because of that. There is a reason a team is a bottom feeder, and it usually is because there are no real all stars.

Look at it this way. If they didn't have that rule in place, the Rangers probably wouldn't have had a single all star. Lundqvist got the one slot but he's not deserving. That would give the entire NY market basically no reason to watch this game and the league is then officially screwed. Sure, the tv viewership is already going to be low, but they need whatever they can get. Excluding an entire market is not an option for this league. So yeah, the rule does water down the rosters and it's not a true all star game, but what sport does have a true all star game?

I like your bottom feeder team reasoning, but just look at the Ranger example I gave. They have no true all star either but are sitting in the 2nd spot in the east right now. It's not always the weak teams that don't have a real all star.

There is a reason a team is a bottom feeder, and it usually is because there are no real all stars.

Ottawa - Pizza line

Tampa Bay - Lecavalier, St. Louis

Atlanta - Kovalchuk

NY Islanders - Streit

Those are the bottom four in the conference; who doesn't have a star? It's hard to debate any of those. Streit, as a defenseman, leads his team in points and would be third behind Vanek and Roy if he were on the Sabres. Having one star does not a good team make.

Didn't see this posted elsewhere, so apologies if I missed it.

The 2009 YoungStars selections:

-- Your NHL All-Star Game YoungStars sophomores: Milan Lucic (Boston Bruins), Brandon Dubinsky (New York Rangers), Nicklas Backstrom (Washington Capitals), Marc Staal (New York Rangers), Kris Letang (Pittsburgh Penguins), Bryan Little (Atlanta Thrashers), Devin Setoguchi (San Jose Sharks), Andrew Cogliano (Edmonton Oilers), Mason Raymond (Vancouver Canucks) and Erik Ersberg (Los Angeles Kings).

-- Your NHL All-Star Game YoungStars rookies: Steven Stamkos (Tampa Bay Lightning), Drew Doughty (Los Angeles Kings), Luke Schenn (Toronto Maple Leafs), Mikkel Boedker (Phoenix Coyotes), James Neal (Dallas Stars), Kris Versteeg (Chicago Blackhawks), Patrik Berglund (St. Louis Blues), Blake Wheeler (Boston Bruins), Michael Frolik (Florida Panthers) and Steve Mason (Columbus Blue Jackets).

No Sabres.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=403144

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_dadd...?urn=nhl,133405

Archived