Sabres call on Kennedy

wildcat48

http://www.wgr550.com/Local-kid-to-play-to...anders-/3562802

Lindy Ruff says Thomas Vanek got treatment today after getting hit last night by a Alexander Ovechkin shot. Vanek should play tonight.

Wonder if they'll play Kennedy at center or wing. Prior to the string of forward callups, he was playing very well centering Mancari and Darche. It seems that he's struggled a little since then (as has the team as a whole) and TW said that he had been moved to the wing. I wouldn't mind them at least trying:

Vanek-Roy-Stafford

Hecht-Kennedy-Pominville

http://www.wgr550.com/Local-kid-to-play-to...anders-/3562802

Wonder if they'll play Kennedy at center or wing. Prior to the string of forward callups, he was playing very well centering Mancari and Darche. It seems that he's struggled a little since then (as has the team as a whole) and TW said that he had been moved to the wing. I wouldn't mind them at least trying:

Vanek-Roy-Stafford

Hecht-Kennedy-Pominville

Hecht-Kennedy-Pominville

this line is a third line at best, hecht and pommers have been pretty awful this year, most nights you dont notice hecht and i only notice pommers when he takes his usual harmless shots from along the boards.

Why does everyone ride our Dmen for being so bad when we have forwards who arent contributing offensively?

spacek 18pts

paille -12

numminen -12

sekera -12

hecht- 11pts

lydman - 9pts,

everyone complains this team needs more toughness and grit and our dmen are pansies and thats why this team cant win....we cant win because we dont have the talent up front. The scoring that left with briere and drury has not been replaced and the record since shows it.

tell me a recent cup winner thats had less talent at forward? any?

I love this kid. So many doubt him all over the internet. In college too. But Kennedy wins faceoffs. Is very quick. Plays 100% each night. Has a scoring touch which will probably translate to like 20-25 goals in the NHL. And play very well in our own zone.

What number will Kennedy wear? #13 or #57? He was introduced as #13. But wore #57 in pre-season. lol

Hecht-Kennedy-Pominville

this line is a third line at best, hecht and pommers have been pretty awful this year, most nights you dont notice hecht and i only notice pommers when he takes his usual harmless shots from along the boards.

I am still certain that much of this stems from not having another true top-two center. Hecht is best at wing. He battles in the corner, is defensively responsible and uses his off-angle, junk-goal shots to keep goalies on their toes. He should, however, be the third best player (offensively) on any scoring line. He complements the offensive threat of the other two. One of those other two also needs to be a playmaker. As center, with Pommer and most of the wingers he's had, he was supposed to be the second best behind Pommer and play a role for which he doesn't have the proper skillset. With Vanek and Pommer, he was supposed to be the third best, but neither Pommer nor Vanek are playmakers, they are scorers/finishers, so he was asked to fill that role. Again, it was one that he does not have the skillset for. However, with a real playmaking center, Hecth and Pommer have filled out an effective scoring line in the past (with Briere and, in brief intervals, with Connolly.)

Does Kennedy have enough skill? I don't know yet. He's definitely more of a playmaker than a scorer (at least, he has been in Portland.) I'd be willing to bet that he'd be closer than Hecht. It's worth a shot.

What number will Kennedy wear? #13 or #57? He was introduced as #13. But wore #57 in pre-season. lol

Good question. He wears #10 in Portland, so that doesn't help ... unless we traded Tallinder ... did we? Based on what Gerbe wore, I'll go with his preseason number, 57. Though, I still feel that Steve Heinze should be the only Sabre ever to where that number.

The original link claimed that Kennedy was recalled due to Vanek's injury.

I just listened to Lindy's interview and he said that he expected Vanek to play tonight. He was then asked if Kennedy would play if Vanek does and he responded that they had brought him up in case Vanek could not, but he will play either way.

I just listened to Lindy's interview and he said that he expected Vanek to play tonight. He was then asked if Kennedy would play if Vanek does and he responded that they had brought him up in case Vanek could not, but he will play either way.

It's really a no-brainer. You call up a kid, the kid will play. Weber was the only exception and I'm sure that had as much to do with the injury issues he was having at the moment. If Vanek does go, what a shame it'll be to see Peters back up in the press box.

How did Kennedy do? I wasn't able to see the game.

Like most of the guys from Portland. Worked hard, kept it pretty simple, didn't make any big mistakes, made a few nice plays. Basically, didn't stand out as either really bad or really good. Decent for his first game. Certainly no worse than some of our slackers.

Tim Kennedy's stay was a short one as he was sent back to Portland today.... More to come on that later.

I'm not really surprised. Not that he didn't play well - he definitely did - but he was called up to fill Vanek's spot in case Vanek couldn't play. He ended playing in that spot with Vanek moved to the third line (light duty) for 5-on-5, but it was mostly a case of "since you're up here, anyway, why don't we take a look." A nice treat for the hometown kid, but he wasn't meant to play any longer than Vanek was out (though, since Vanek didn't go out, he technically did.)

I'm not really surprised. Not that he didn't play well - he definitely did - but he was called up to fill Vanek's spot in case Vanek couldn't play. He ended playing in that spot with Vanek moved to the third line (light duty) for 5-on-5, but it was mostly a case of "since you're up here, anyway, why don't we take a look." A nice treat for the hometown kid, but he wasn't meant to play any longer than Vanek was out (though, since Vanek didn't go out, he technically did.)

I certainly wouldn't mind if he stayed up longer. Kennedy would help us more than Peters.

Archived