Screamin'Weasel

55 members have voted

1. 1. Which Browser do you use (and recommend):

• Internet Explorer
    • Firefox
    • Opera
    • Safari
    • Chrome

Title says it all. The serious security flaws and holes (link to newest) and lack of any serious immediate fixes have finally made me switch from what I am used to and comfortable with to something else.

What I want to know is which of the others you all are using: Firefox, Chrome, Opera or Safari.

Firefox makes me nervous (though I've never used it) because it is made by Mozilla which made Netscape Navigator. I very much disliked Netscape Navigator. Very much. Is firefox the same with a rebrand?

I've used Firefox for a couple years now, and love it, especially the ability to customize the browser with literally hundreds of extensions. Not real crazy about the Firefox 3 so far - although it looks nice and shiny and all that, I've noticed some performance issues since upgrading - a couple freezes here and there, and it drops my wireless connection from time to time, although that could be unrelated.

I've also tried Chrome, which is pretty cool and pretty stable, just still real "rough" in terms of features and whatnot. Still feels very BETA-ish, but it looks promising.

Been using Firefox for a few years with zero complaints but haven't upgraded to the 3.0 on my computer yet - didn't like the way it looked when I upgraded on an office machine (too much like the Vista cartoon screen which I hate). Guess graphical interfaces with lots of icons are for people who can only read books with pictures & no words - personally it takes me twice as long to locate an icon as opposed to read the Classical View pull down menus.

PS: I skipped ever using IE - held onto Netscape for a long time then switched directly to Firefox.

firefox is much better than IE, but it is most definitely not perfect. It has memory leaks that can get epic if you have a lot of windows/tabs open. Opera is pretty good, but I am used to firefox, and hence to lazy to change.

The memory leak issue seems to be a lot better in Firefox 3. I've only checked the usage a few times when I've left FF open for a while, but every time it seems to be within acceptable ranges, unlike previous versions.

The other thing is that (from what I can tell) most of the leaks seem to be tied to bad extensions rather than FF itself.

I have a mac at home and a pc and use firefox 3 for both. The main reason is the no-script and adblock, two add ons that are very good at blocking graphical ads. I'd like to use Opera, but always find the ads a little startling. Using the session saver almost eliminates the need for favorites, too.

Yes IE does suck.

I've used firefox for years, and it's becoming IE like. I actually get it to crash once and awhile, and it's gotten slower. Opera is also optimized for windows whereas firefox for linux. Like I said, I used to think firefox was the best thing since sliced bread but no longer use it. You also need to check out Opera's "speed dial" feature. It is just a quick list when the browser pops up that has your fav 9 pages. Kind of like a visual bookmarks.

Here is a site with facts and performance tests on the browsers. I know this is a bit nerdy but I am a software engineer so I value this info. :thumbsup:

Browser comparison

why Opera is better

I switched about 1/2 year ago and have not had a single issue with Opera with one exception; the web page is displayed bad because it doesn't support it. Usually its not the fault of the browser but the crappy design firm.

Oh and

CHROME IS THE WORST because of this...

Chrome gathers personal stats for google

Sorry to go off topic here, but:

I don't why your avatar of one of the guys from Hanson pouring milk in one nostril and out the other bothers me so much but it really does...I look at it and think to myself, "MmmBop! Got Milk?!"

I now return you back to the topic at hand.

If anyone is looking to get away from virus's& 3rd party AV software or spyware and third party spyware removing software then I would recommend either using Linux as your operating system or to get a MAC. Othewise the best way to curtail some of these issues is to go with Firefox or anything not branded MS.

Archived