You know what the Sabres remind me of

Claude Balls

The Sabres are a team full of misfits that no one else wants. Vanek is definitely a player every other team in the league would love to have, but after him there's a big drop off. Miller might be a much better goaltender with a better defense in front of him, but that's even questionable after his year so far. That's pretty much all I got. Pomminstein.....someone would probably take him as well. Rivet was nice the first week of the season, and has disappeared since, injury or not. Mair has been better this season, but probably wouldn't crack many teams lineups. These guys are all just underachieving too much or maybe this is the real deal. Who knows.

I would like to see how many goals Vanek would have if he had better line mates. Imagine him with a Backstrom, Malkin, Thornton or Savard centering his line.

The Sabres are a team full of misfits that no one else wants. Vanek is definitely a player every other team in the league would love to have, but after him there's a big drop off. Miller might be a much better goaltender with a better defense in front of him, but that's even questionable after his year so far. That's pretty much all I got. Pomminstein.....someone would probably take him as well. Rivet was nice the first week of the season, and has disappeared since, injury or not. Mair has been better this season, but probably wouldn't crack many teams lineups. These guys are all just underachieving too much or maybe this is the real deal. Who knows.

I would like to see how many goals Vanek would have if he had better line mates. Imagine him with a Backstrom, Malkin, Thornton or Savard centering his line.

Honestly though, I feel that every time I watch other teams, there are always at least 2 or 3 guys I'm asbolutely terrified of whenever they have the puck.

I doubt many people feel that way about anyone but Vanek.

Miller's just plain #%^$#!, you can't allow the number of soft goals he does and have a starter job in this league.

The problem isn't that they are terrible; it's that they aren't in the right places on the team. Roy would be a second-line center on a lot of teams. He's been used as a first-line center for most of the season and recently has been placed with Drew "Can't Hit the Broad Side of a Barn" Stafford" and Nathan "Going to Be Fun to Watch, But Not Quite Ready for Prime Time" Gerbe. Hecth playing on the first line is, as noted in many threads, just ridiculous. He would have a role on many teams, but it would be nowhere near a top-line center. Pominville would be a second-line winger on most teams and might crack a top line on a team with a high-caliber first-line center.

Add one or two real top-six forwards and shift everyone down to their appropriate position. Then, the team would be just fine.

OK, we would probably still need help on D. Lydman has played very well, Sekera is very good for his age (still makes the occasional play that you'd expect from a rookie, but makes a lot of good plays that you wouldn't), Rivet is reliable when healthy and Spacek plays well most of the time. Teppo has definitely started to show his age and he's less capable of covering with sound positional play. Tallinder could go. We could use a move or two on the blueline.

The problem isn't that they are terrible; it's that they aren't in the right places on the team. Roy would be a second-line center on a lot of teams. He's been used as a first-line center for most of the season and recently has been placed with Drew "Can't Hit the Broad Side of a Barn" Stafford" and Nathan "Going to Be Fun to Watch, But Not Quite Ready for Prime Time" Gerbe. Hecth playing on the first line is, as noted in many threads, just ridiculous. He would have a role on many teams, but it would be nowhere near a top-line center. Pominville would be a second-line winger on most teams and might crack a top line on a team with a high-caliber first-line center.

Add one or two real top-six forwards and shift everyone down to their appropriate position. Then, the team would be just fine.

So do you look for a no.1 center and put Roy in the no.2 role, or keep Roy out of position (so to speak, as a no.2 playing no.1) and find a new no.2 center to replace The Skill? I would think that it would be easier to find a no.2, but if a no.1 center was available do you pull the trigger, knowing that it might cost a couple top prospects?

So do you look for a no.1 center and put Roy in the no.2 role, or keep Roy out of position (so to speak, as a no.2 playing no.1) and find a new no.2 center to replace The Skill? I would think that it would be easier to find a no.2, but if a no.1 center was available do you pull the trigger, knowing that it might cost a couple top prospects?

While a true #1 center would be great, I would be happy with another true #2 center. We need someone who is sound both ways, but also has at least decent play making abilities. In a hypothetical world with cloning, I'd still say we'd be much better off with:

Vanek-Roy1-Stafford

Hecht-Roy2-Pommer

than with what we have now. Now, if they could also find a more capable right wing for Roy1, that would be great, too.

I completely agree that a #2 center might be possible, while #1 would be very unlikely. For example, rumors have it that the Islanders might be willing to trade Mike Comrie after he recovers from his hip injury (expected back this week.) In no way is Comrie a first-line center, but he is a capable second-line center. In that case, Roy would be the #1, while Comrie would be the #2. Just an example, not necessarily a recommendation.

Pomminstein, hell in keeping with your Christmas themed thread, should be renamed Whoville since he hasn't been producing all too much I guess the Grinch stole his scoring touch...

What's maddening about Jason is the lack of fire. Again last night, in the third, the Sabres down, there's a race for a puck in the Toronto zone down the wall, and Jason's trailing by a little, BUT HIS LEGS JUST AREN'T MOVING.

Vanek is also prone to this. I know the guy has another gear, but we rarely see it. He was nearly caught from behind on the breakaway against Tampa the other night.

Why am I such a misfit?

I am not just a nit wit!

You can't fire me

I quit!

Seems I don't fit in.

:lol:

Yukon Cornelius IS THE MAN!!!!!
:D

Numminen is that you ?

We work hard all day

But our work is play

Dolls we try out

See if they cry out

We are Lindy's elves!

:w00t: , Hockey player, you want to be a hockey player ?

okay then who is abominable ? besides Max

Whos Herby, I just want to be a player, Timmay

Clarice, He thinks I'm cute Miller

Santa Don't know what to do with rudolf, Lindy

Rudolf, Thomas full power, are you ready to carry this team

Charlie in the box Tallinder who wants a defenseman that can't hit

Cowboy who rides the ostrich Paully is that you?

King of misfit Toys LQ or DR take your pick

While a true #1 center would be great, I would be happy with another true #2 center. We need someone who is sound both ways, but also has at least decent play making abilities. In a hypothetical world with cloning, I'd still say we'd be much better off with:

Vanek-Roy1-Stafford

Hecht-Roy2-Pommer

than with what we have now. Now, if they could also find a more capable right wing for Roy1, that would be great, too.

I completely agree that a #2 center might be possible, while #1 would be very unlikely. For example, rumors have it that the Islanders might be willing to trade Mike Comrie after he recovers from his hip injury (expected back this week.) In no way is Comrie a first-line center, but he is a capable second-line center. In that case, Roy would be the #1, while Comrie would be the #2. Just an example, not necessarily a recommendation.

I would take a true #2 center mainly because I don't think there are any true #1's available except for Sundin.

:lol:

:D

Numminen is that you ?

:w00t: , Hockey player, you want to be a hockey player ?

okay then who is abominable ? besides Max

Whos Herby, I just want to be a player, Timmay

Clarice, He thinks I'm cute Miller

Santa Don't know what to do with rudolf, Lindy

Rudolf, Thomas full power, are you ready to carry this team

Charlie in the box Tallinder who wants a defenseman that can't hit

Cowboy who rides the ostrich Paully is that you?

King of misfit Toys LQ or DR take your pick

LOL funny.

I can almost see ole Yukon Cornelius poking his pick ax into HSBC Arena ice, pulling it out, licking the end of it and exclaiming -- "Just fools blue and gold!" And ink don't you even dare defile this innocent holiday classic!

LOL funny.

I can almost see ole Yukon Cornelius poking his pick ax into HSBC Arena ice, pulling it out, licking the end of it and exclaiming -- Awe schucks nothing "Just fools blue and gold!" ,And ink don't you even dare defile this innocent holiday classic!

:thumbsup: Tweaked just a little,

and as far as the Grinch(ink), well thats a different tale. ;)

Vanek-Roy1-Stafford

Hecht-Roy2-Pommer

100% agree here. I think the Sabres really need a true #2 center. And, I've been calling for a Mike Comrie acquisition since the moment Briere signed with Philly. The Sabres could have had him last offseason. And, the Sabres could still trade for him now. I'm not saying he's the savior, but he's definitely a true center that is an upgrade over anyone who has played the second line center position for Buffalo. I also think it's time for Lindy to finally split Hecht and Pominville. Put Hecht with Gaustad and Paille and make it a true shutdown line that goes against every team's top line. Put Vanek-Roy-Pominville on the top line as the single true scoring line. Then get a center to play with Kotalik and Stafford/Max. That should be Connolly's role, but we know the story there, so why not try to acquire Comrie to fulfill that role? Whether or not the actual player is Comrie, this team desperately needs a second line centerman because Hecht is not the guy you want in that role. I even think a guy like Reinprecht would be a good fit here with his speed. There are a lot of affordable guys out there who could fill that role much better than Hecht can and they won't cost a lot in a trade. I hope Darcy actually does something, but we all know that won't happen. He used to wheel and deal a lot more when he first came to Buffalo. He does nothing now and I don't get it.

Archived