Sabres heavily trying to move Max

Two or less

The Buffalo Sabres are trying hard to move Maxim Afinogenov but there's not much of a market right now for an underachieving and healthy scratch winger making $3.5 million with a $3.33 million cap hit.

Link- http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/bob_mckenzie/?id=257381

No surprise here but atleast we know for sure that they are trying to get rid of the bum.

True. The one player on Colorado which we could have and i'd want is Tyler Arnason. I really like the kids game and he's a good faceoff centerman.

He's off to a really slow start and probably should never be anything higher then a 3rd line center, however, he has soft hands and i could see him being a very good center for Thomas Vanek. He's pass first. Also, we could use the depth at center.

I don't think we'll get anything more then Arnason in any trade that involves Max.

True. The one player on Colorado which we could have and i'd want is Tyler Arnason. I really like the kids game and he's a good faceoff centerman.

He's off to a really slow start and probably should never be anything higher then a 3rd line center, however, he has soft hands and i could see him being a very good center for Thomas Vanek. He's pass first. Also, we could use the depth at center.

I don't think we'll get anything more then Arnason in any trade that involves Max.

The problem with Arnason is that most of the complaints about him have been similar to those about Max: too many giveaways, not strong enough defensively, inconsistent, not producing enough, ... He had a few ok years with Chicago, but has been disappointing teams for the past few years. While there's a small chance that he might click here, he's old enough where what you see is probably what you get. Also, he's not great on faceoffs, having been South of 50% every year of his career (usually 43-47%). Of course, that would still be an improvement over Hecht.

Heavily trying to trade Max? :lol: Try harder! DR would rather saddle Lindy with Max instead of calling any of the teams that have shown any interest in Max since the draft and say that I'm trading Max by the end of the week. Best offer wins. If it's a 5th round pick than so be it. Stop sticking Lindy with players who don't want to buy into what he is selling.

regarding svatos, I'd be very surprised if they take back an underachiever due to be paid $2.3 million next year.

Underachiever? 75 goals in three seasons including 26 on the pp and 18 gw? He maybe undersized but I don't understand the "underachiever" tag. It's not like Colorado is power house with a ton of talent around him.

You must have seen Arnason's only good games the last two or three years because you keep bringing him up. Arnason is a smaller version of Chris Gratton. A player who had a couple of good years playing for a bad team who hasn't done anything since.

On the other hand, with only one year left on a $1.75 million contract, they could do worse.

You must have seen Arnason's only good games the last two or three years because you keep bringing him up. Arnason is a smaller version of Chris Gratton. A player who had a couple of good years playing for a bad team who hasn't done anything since.

On the other hand, with only one year left on a $1.75 million contract, they could do worse.

Agreed. They could take a shot with him, expecting to most likely just send him down to Portland and then let him walk at the end of the year, and at worst save half of Max's cost. If he happens to do anything here, then it would be a bonus. However, they could trade him for a draft pick and have just as much chance (or better) of it turning into something good.

Vanek-Man - check this out:

http://inthecheapseats.com/avs-notebook/07...e-tyler-arnason

No matter how tempting it is to trade Max, for anything, the one thing we don't need is more mediocre

players. It's pointless...we have enough dead wood as it is.

No matter how tempting it is to trade Max, for anything, the one thing we don't need is more mediocre

players. It's pointless...we have enough dead wood as it is.

"pointless"? Not at all. To get any player back for Max at this point would be a shocker. If you can get a younger player that may be able to fit the Sabres system that would be a great move no matter what the player had done previously or if he is even successful in Buffalo. The Sabres are at the point now where they need to make a deal to show the team and the fans that won't be sitting on the sidelines watching the playoffs slip away again.

At this point, isn't it just a question of getting him off the books?

Ruff sat him for two games, and Ruff pretty much never sits his vets in the regular season unless he's given up on them.

Same goes for Tallinder.

Yeah, but who's going to take a huge risk on Max AND his contract? Nobody.

I can see him being a Sabre killer in the future.

Like Satan? Drury? Briere? Stu Barnes? Curtis Brown? Mike Grier? J.P. Dumont? Chris Gratton? Max doesn't have enough game to be a Sabre killer and looking at the recent crop of ex-Sabres, I can't see Max traded in the same conference let alone division.

Yeah, but who's going to take a huge risk on Max AND his contract? Nobody.
What huge risk? His contract is down to 3/4 of a season. Unless a team is up against the cap, I don't see any risk.

I still don't see why the Caps would'nt take a run at Max. He and OV have displayed chemistry in the past, why not trade a low level prospect or a draft pick for him.

I still don't see why the Caps would'nt take a run at Max. He and OV have displayed chemistry in the past, why not trade a low level prospect or a draft pick for him.

I don't remember where, but I did read a rumor that he was marketing himself to them and pushing hard for a trade there. Semin probably thinks that he's a more interesting player than Crosby. They could become the Red Wings (red Russian team) of the new millennium.

"pointless"? Not at all. To get any player back for Max at this point would be a shocker. If you can get a younger player that may be able to fit the Sabres system that would be a great move no matter what the player had done previously or if he is even successful in Buffalo. The Sabres are at the point now where they need to make a deal to show the team and the fans that won't be sitting on the sidelines watching the playoffs slip away again.

I'm with you, take the draft pick(s) and/or a young player on the bubble and move on. Darcy is not going to bring down the house with any trade involving Max, so get something for him where you can.

Archived