Pathetic -- Ruff Should Be Concerned

Lethbridge Broncos

Up front -- Goose, Afinogenov, Stafford and Hecht must all go. They are passengers. On defense, Lydman and Hank and must go.

Roy should be centering MacArthur and Pominville.

WATCH THIS CLIP OF Wendel Clark -- if I was Lindy, I would show this clip 5 minutes before each game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEltpSMTDPM

Up front -- Goose, Afinogenov, Stafford and Hecht must all go. They are passengers. On defense, Lydman and Hank and must go.

WATCH THIS CLIP OF Wendel Clark -- if I was Lindy, I would show this clip 5 minutes before each game:

That might work!

That's like saying Bush should be concerned about the state of the country. He's part of the problem, if not THE problem.

You get the Jack Adams Award when things go well. You have to take responsibility when things go south.

When previously functional, if not outstanding players, become "passengers," I look to coaching.

That's like saying Bush should be concerned about the state of the country. He's part of the problem, if not THE problem.

You get the Jack Adams Award when things go well. You have to take responsibility when things go south.

When previously functional, if not outstanding players, become "passengers," I look to coaching.

Lindy has got these guys to perform at levels that not to many people thought they could.

Players need to look in the mirror at some point and be held accountable.

So we get rid of Lindy for what? McCutheon? James Patrick? Please.

Who would the team bring in right now thats better then Lindy.

Say what you will but Lindy has made more with a hell of alot less, and I'm not in favor of letting him walk for some Dick Juron type coach that this front office would go find.

Did you watch the game last night or did you just pick 6 guys at random? No offense, but they can't just rip apart half the team overnight. He benched two of the guys you mentioned last night, and I think the team responded. Gaustad actually hit some guys last night. Stafford played his best game of the year. Hecht my not stand out but isn't it funny how Pominville was a non-factor when he was out but since he returned Pominville has been scoring again? I had no love for Lydman coming into the season, but he has been fine, he is not the problem.

As for calling for Ruff's head, I find it funny how coming into the season all the complaints were that they were missing this piece or that piece and they didn't have enough to win ... and now, lo and behold, the players are not the problem, it's the coach.

I am frustrated too but basically I think we are tired of bitching about the players and it's just Lindy's turn. I thought they played well last night (at least compared to the last week ... and, you know, until it came time to actually shoot the puck into the net) ... I am curious how they will respond tonight and the rest of the homestand. If they lay down and get worse, maybe it is time for a new voice and to put Lindy out of his misery. But I thought they responded to whatever he was preaching last night, if they play like that every night they will be OK.

Besides, who is the genius they are going to hire if they fire Lindy now? Just be careful what you wish for, there is a real good chance it would get WAY worse before it gets better if they fire him now.

Did you watch the game last night or did you just pick 6 guys at random? No offense, but they can't just rip apart half the team overnight. He benched two of the guys you mentioned last night, and I think the team responded. Gaustad actually hit some guys last night. Stafford played his best game of the year. Hecht my not stand out but isn't it funny how Pominville was a non-factor when he was out but since he returned Pominville has been scoring again? I had no love for Lydman coming into the season, but he has been fine, he is not the problem.

As for calling for Ruff's head, I find it funny how coming into the season all the complaints were that they were missing this piece or that piece and they didn't have enough to win ... and now, lo and behold, the players are not the problem, it's the coach.

I am frustrated too but basically I think we are tired of bitching about the players and it's just Lindy's turn. I thought they played well last night (at least compared to the last week ... and, you know, until it came time to actually shoot the puck into the net) ... I am curious how they will respond tonight and the rest of the homestand. If they lay down and get worse, maybe it is time for a new voice and to put Lindy out of his misery. But I thought they responded to whatever he was preaching last night, if they play like that every night they will be OK.

Besides, who is the genius they are going to hire if they fire Lindy now? Just be careful what you wish for, there is a real good chance it would get WAY worse before it gets better if they fire him now.

good post.

Lindy has got these guys to perform at levels that not to many people thought they could.

Say what you will but Lindy has made more with a hell of alot less, and I'm not in favor of letting him walk for some Dick Juron type coach that this front office would go find.

George Seifert's not working. In fact...

Like I said in the other thread. Maybe it's just time for a new face. How many coaches coach the same team for 11 straight years??? It's unheard of in these times.

I'm not saying Ruff should go, but knowing Regier if Ruff did get fired you can bet James Patrick would be our next head coach and it would just be more of the same. Its time for a roster shakeup. Get Max and Connolly off the team. Trade, waivers whatever.

If Ruff does show grainy video clips before games, he should show some where they score goals.

Nah, Ruff's all about negative reinforcement. Bag skates, missed shifts, benchings, yelling, threats of this and that. It wears thin in any organization after a while. This is the guy who blew up after the Sabres WON Game 2 against the Rangers.

I'm not saying Ruff should go, but knowing Regier if Ruff did get fired you can bet James Patrick would be our next head coach and it would just be more of the same. Its time for a roster shakeup. Get Max and Connolly off the team. Trade, waivers whatever.

Regier is incompetent and should be fired if he doesn't have a viable replacement for Ruff in mind. A GM has to plan for any contingency -- having to fire the coach, the coach quitting, the coach dying, whatever.

good post.

And this surprises you? Nah, I doubt it.

This deserves another QFT

As mentioned above, Max and Hank were benched last night. I wouldn't expect to see Max too much more in a Sabres sweater but I could be wrong. As for Lydman, he has the most hits out of anyone on the team. I would say he is our third best defenseman behind Sekera and Spacek right now, and Spacek doesn't do anything glamorous either. In other words, he isn't going anywhere.

As for Roy and Stafford, both played better last night but can't seem to find the back of the net. I see Roy having a good game tonight, maybe a goal and an assist and starting to come out of his funk.

Goose is what he is, a 3rd or fourth line center that can win face-offs and clog up the area in front of the net. He's not going to wow anyone with his goal scoring, stick handling, etc., but he does his job. I'd like to see him take the body a little more and use his size but I don't think he should sit.

Nah, Ruff's all about negative reinforcement. Bag skates, missed shifts, benchings, yelling, threats of this and that. It wears thin in any organization after a while. This is the guy who blew up after the Sabres WON Game 2 against the Rangers.

I love it ... you might be right, PA, but last season the popular complaint (maybe from you, maybe not, not putting words in your mouth) was that Ruff wasn't hard enough on them and didn't hold anyone accountable. now he is too hard on them ... which is it? Can we at least agree what the guy is doing wrong before we fire him for both babying them AND railing on them too hard?

But hey, I get it, it's all about results, so if they keep sliding, you either change the coach or make a blockbuster deal. Choosing between those things might make Regier's head explode, because they would both be WAY out of character.

This deserves another QFT

No idea what QFT means ... I even checked spndnchz's handy translator and it is not on the list. Old guy needs help again ...

great post! it was stafford's best game of the past two seasons. i am actually excited for the roy-general-staffod line. anyway. hoping this evening ends it. for the record, i am not into firing ruff, however patrick or mccutcheon(sp?), etc, could be a good shake-up.

They agree with you. (Quoted for truth)

Ah ... OK ... thanks.

great post! it was stafford's best game of the past two seasons. i am actually excited for the roy-general-staffod line. anyway. hoping this evening ends it. for the record, i am not into firing ruff, however patrick or mccutcheon(sp?), etc, could be a good shake-up.

While I appreciate the support from several who liked the post, I am also well aware that saying it was Stafford's best game this season is not saying much. But he did at least seem to respond, so ... let's see what happened. Like I said, if they revert back to real ugliness the rest of the homestand, something is going to have to give.

This post is not about Ruff. He does the best he can with the limited talent he gets from the draft each year.

But make no mistake about it -- when you loose 3-0 at home, without anybody doing a damn thing about it -- something has to give. More Portland call ups may be necessary. Matt Darch would be a great addition. Guastad is taking up space -- he is useless out there. He can't win draws, can't hit, won't fight, can't score, can't pass and won't drive the net because he is too slow to follow up the plays. He is useless and hurts the lineup. Ellis was twice as valuable. TWICE.

Hecht's time in Bflo has run its course. He may have some size, but he is a bonifide pus$y. A wimp with a great shot. Can't kill penalties and is not the same 20 goal guy he was 5 years ago. Get RID of HIM.

Afinogenov is an important player who can stretch a defense and make them backup off the blueline. But has no linemates to play with and defenses dont seem to respect his talent as they once did. His motivation to excite is lacking. He needs to be shipped out.

Ruff needs to shorten the bench and Regier needs to bring two bangers in who advance the puck, can handle pucks, will rag the puck in the corners and draw penalties with their hustle. This current team is a bunch of panzies who only create on the rush. What a joke. there is ZERO fiber -- where is the passion and work ethic? Losing Ellis was a great blunder -- his game was exactly what the Sabres need more of...

This post is not about Ruff. He does the best he can with the limited talent he gets from the draft each year.

But make no mistake about it -- when you loose 3-0 at home, without anybody doing a damn thing about it -- something has to give. More Portland call ups may be necessary. Matt Darch would be a great addition. Guastad is taking up space -- he is useless out there. He can't win draws, can't hit, won't fight, can't score, can't pass and won't drive the net because he is too slow to follow up the plays. He is useless and hurts the lineup. Ellis was twice as valuable. TWICE.

Hecht's time in Bflo has run its course. He may have some size, but he is a bonifide pus$y. A wimp with a great shot. Can't kill penalties and is not the same 20 goal guy he was 5 years ago. Get RID of HIM.

Afinogenov is an important player who can stretch a defense and make them backup off the blueline. But has no linemates to play with and defenses dont seem to respect his talent as they once did. His motivation to excite is lacking. He needs to be shipped out.

Ruff needs to shorten the bench and Regier needs to bring two bangers in who advance the puck, can handle pucks, will rag the puck in the corners and draw penalties with their hustle. This current team is a bunch of panzies who only create on the rush. What a joke. there is ZERO fiber -- where is the passion and work ethic? Losing Ellis was a great blunder -- his game was exactly what the Sabres need more of...

Hecht never scored 20 goals in his life until last season. But then maybe to you that is 5 years ago, I don't know how you measure time in this world of yours where all you need are gritty guys who are not skilled like Ellis (who was SO impressive no one claimed him when he was on waivers ... amazing, a guy twice as valuable as Gaustad and no one claimed him) ...

We all agree they could use some more grit, but beyond that it's tough to agree with anything you are saying ... half of it is just flat-out factually wrong.

Like I said in the other thread. Maybe it's just time for a new face. How many coaches coach the same team for 11 straight years??? It's unheard of in these times.

Isn't that basically saying change for the sake of change?

I liken Ruff to what Riley did with the Knicks. Riley knew that he wouldn't be able to run Showtime like he did with the Lakers because he didn't have the talent. What he did though was turn a team lacking offense into one of the toughest, hard nosed defensive teams in the league.

When Ruff had Peca and Hasek he went Defense. When he had CD and DB he went offense.

I think we need to Remember that Regier won't pull the trigger during a 5, 10, or 15 game losing streak. Every year he gets asked that question, and every year its the same answer.

controlled caos...reckless abandon...this is what I would consider old-time hockey. I think Rob Ray was the last link to that style of hockey...at least for the Buffalo Sabres. What a great clip. It's a shame we have to go all the way back to Rob Ray for these types of highlights. I hope someone in that locker room is truly angry tonight. Not just a "come on guys, let's play better..." I mean seriously angry...I-don't-care-about-my-paycheck angry. mair aside, it doesn't feel like there is a guy like that on this team. LET'S F--ING GO!!!!! KICK SOMEONE's ASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived