Silly Superstitions

ET1062

Before each game the wife and I try a new position from the Kama Sutra. I've had a hamstring pull the last couple of games so I couldn't do the 'Flying Locust Donkey Thrust" or the 'Reversed One Winged Sparrow'. No worries though, tomorrow I should be ready to go for the 'Upside down gorilla from the horse position' and the Sabres will be back on their winning ways. :thumbsup:

Before each game the wife and I try a new position from the Kama Sutra. I've had a hamstring pull the last couple of games so I couldn't do the 'Flying Locust Donkey Thrust" or the 'Reversed One Winged Sparrow'. No worries though, tomorrow I should be ready to go for the 'Upside down gorilla from the horse position' and the Sabres will be back on their winning ways. :thumbsup:

Scarred for life. It's my fault. I clicked on the thread link.

Really? Pictures of Alyssa Milano on a message board can curse a team and the thread had to be shut down? So much for having some fun.

Don't walk under any ladders, step on any cracks or break any mirrors or God will strike us all down!

Simply find another goddess... :doh:

Really? Pictures of Alyssa Milano on a message board can curse a team and the thread had to be shut down? So much for having some fun.

Have you ever noticed that Miller always spins the same way before leaving the rink? Or that nobody ever touches the Prince of Whales Trophy or the Clarence S. Campbell Bowl after winning their conference? Hockey players are superstitious and so, apparently, are a lot of their fans (many of whom are/were hockey players.) That kind of thread is fun, but when you show the Bills and the Sabres in one, then suddenly both tank, you just can't take chances. ;)

I wore my lucky hat and voted for McCain today, but he didn't win in New York State. Hmmmmm. Shocking I know!

So just curious, all of you people who have your little supersitions, like wear a stupid hat or sit in a certain chair, what happens when you lose a game or two? No team has ever been undefeted.

While silly supperstitions are fun, they are bull crap, proven that no one is 100 percent on any of your little rituals.

It is like the blackjack player who has a "feeling" There are no feelings in Blackjack, it is math and statistics!!! Period, end of story!

So just curious, all of you people who have your little superstitions, like wear a stupid hat or sit in a certain chair, what happens when you lose a game or two? No team has ever been undefeated.

While silly superstitions are fun, they are bull crap, proven that no one is 100 percent on any of your little rituals.

I am not super serious about my superstitions, however, I will play devil's advocate. If a lot of people have similar little superstitions, each of which has a degree of impact on the outcome, then by doing your superstitious act, you may only increase the probability of your team winning by a small amount, but it's still better than not doing it at all. Clearly, by wearing a certain Sabres jersey this year, I have not generated an undefeated team, but perhaps I have improved their performance slightly; a goal here or a hit post on an opponent's shot there ...

If something noticeable is done (say starting a thread about how great this team is or, in this case, with a new icon wearing our logo) and the team tanks, then it seems worth the sacrifice to delete it.

I am not super serious about my superstitions, however, I will play devil's advocate. If a lot of people have similar little superstitions, each of which has a degree of impact on the outcome, then by doing your superstitious act, you may only increase the probability of your team winning by a small amount, but it's still better than not doing it at all. Clearly, by wearing a certain Sabres jersey this year, I have not generated an undefeated team, but perhaps I have improved their performance slightly; a goal here or a hit post on an opponent's shot there ...

I'm with you if it's someone who can affect the outcome who has the superstition, e.g., a defenseman who always laces his right skate before his left, or something. That might make the defenseman more confident, and thus affect his play and the team's play. But us fans? We have no effect whatsoever with our superstitions.

And yet I still clap in five-clap bursts (that's the number of syllables in "let's go, Buffalo") out of superstition. Even if I'm not at a sporting event.

Archived