GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Knightrider

I may be stating the obvious, but this team really misses Rivet. I can't believe I said that, but he's the only guy who will clear the crease, play physical, and lead by example with defense first.
Is this team that dependent on Rivet's toughness and leadership that they cannot function without him?
i saw portions of the game last night -- damn if they didn't look a whole lot like last year's edition.

It's not a coincidence that we went to pieces when Rivet went out. Without him, this team, like last year's team, has a huge hole in the guts, leadership and mental toughness department.

3. Lindy Ruff said he wanted to make Vanek the best player in the world? After a 8 goal start does Vanek think he's achieved that? He's been one of the LAZIEST players the past 2 games that it makes me sick to my stomach. Dude, show some effort. Last two games he's been a no-show. He was everywhere early on and now he's a joke.

5. I can NOT wait until Jochen Hecht, but more importantly Tim Connolly is back and i'm not a big believer in praying, and used to go to church on a semi-regular basis until last several years, but maybe it's time to pray for Connolly's health. I am not sure we can go far without him or another center. Adam Mair centering the 3rd line is a nice band-aid for 2, maybe 3 games, but this is just way too long. He's so bad it's not even funny. The turnovers that line makes and all the off-sides it makes ALL due to Mair's cluelessness (i dont even think thats a word but i'm too heated and don't care) is unbelievable to me.

6. Let me understand this with Weber, why did he play? Rivet gets hurt and we use Paetsch, who i don't like, but has played well in the three games he's filled in for, and Weber, only came in to fill-in for Hank. Weber played poorly vs. Ottawa and hasn't played all that well in Portland, yet, when Hank returns, we dress Weber instead of Paetsch? WTF? That was odd. I'm a big Weber fan and not a big fan of Paetsch, but that was odd. Our team has trouble moving the puck up the ice yet we bench a puck-moving d-men. Hmm...

With Vanek it all comes down to how bad he wants it.

I'd expect Mair to drop down to the 4th line and Gaustad to center the 3rd line within the next couple of games. The Skill will not be a factor for the Sabres this year, so you can put that out of your mind.

But, but, but -- Weber was supposed to be the One! No one was supposed to score/hit/do anything against us if only Darcy would stop playing politics and bring Weber up!

After wanting this for the last couple of years, I have given up. This role falls to Hecht & Mair(oldest forwards on the team I believe) and also to the guys who have been around for 4-5 years now...Roy, Pominville, Vanek, Gaustad, Connolly, etc...

That's who should be carrying the torch, but that is the same group that "led" us right into the dumper last year. That's why a guy like Shanahan is such a crying need -- because otherwise Rivet's the only one.

Blech! Not going to reiterate what's been said, but would like to bring up a few other points.

Tampa finished their checks and had the Sabres more worried about dodging hits than puck control along the boards. Outside of the Kaleta, Mair, McArthur & sometimes Paille, I didn't see buffalo doing the same.

Half of Buffalo's SOG where from Kotalik along the half wall, but I guess at least his shots were getting through.

Not saying the refs cost the game, but I haven't seen that much interference in a LONG time. Worst example was on Tampa's 4th goal, Recchi impedes Stafford, springing an odd man rush. Also, does Stamkos get a pass for hooking/interference because he went #1 overall? Again, I'm pissed at the Sabres effort, but obviously the "new" NHL is fading.

I threw up my Kool Aid this morning. It was awful to watch that.

Come on now, admit it, this would have happened win or lose. ;)

That's what happens when you make your Kool Aid with Vodka.

Kool Aid for breakfast? Come on - I know you're young and all but drink something healthier - put your vodka in some OJ.

Boy, you take off those rose colored glasses and you go off the deep end. Or, maybe, its just the realization that Tampa might just be pretty good and the Ranger ship appears to be righting itself.

I'm on record as saying both those things. The ???s in Tampa were defense, not offense.. I think they showed what the O could do last night. And the Rangers are better than some will allow on this board.

Archived