Andrew Peters

Corp000085

This guy has been the ultimate whipping boy for years. He's been a 13th forward who has one skill: fighting. However, in the past couple of years, the guy has just danced around during fights. 2 minutes a game, 1 fight, one loss or draw. You know the drill.

However, this year, something is different. He has really stepped up. He's still doing the non-fighting dance routine, but the guy is honestly putting forth a hockey effort. He has contributed hitting and setting up scoring chances by the 4th line. I know that we may be looking at the ceiling, but even if he has peaked, Peters has played himself into a regular 4th line shift. Dude may even get 4-5 goals this year if he plays well enough for lindy to roll 4 complete lines. Way to go Andro!

This guy has been the ultimate whipping boy for years. He's been a 13th forward who has one skill: fighting. However, in the past couple of years, the guy has just danced around during fights. 2 minutes a game, 1 fight, one loss or draw. You know the drill.

However, this year, something is different. He has really stepped up. He's still doing the non-fighting dance routine, but the guy is honestly putting forth a hockey effort. He has contributed hitting and setting up scoring chances by the 4th line. I know that we may be looking at the ceiling, but even if he has peaked, Peters has played himself into a regular 4th line shift. Dude may even get 4-5 goals this year if he plays well enough for lindy to roll 4 complete lines. Way to go Andro!

Hold on there Corp. He played six minutes. That's a long way from being able to roll four lines consistently. Over an 82 game season the Sabres are going to need more from there fourth line than six minutes. When Gaustad and Hecht come back that will spread the talent a little more evenly between the 2nd, 3rd and 4th lines.

I agree with Corp. Peters has actually been playing some hockey thus far into the season. That fourth line is going out there and doing their job which is to provide energy and to hit people, and most importantly do that without being a defensive liability. I don't think anyone here believes Peters will turn into Paille, but it's nice to see the guy actually playing some hockey and not just dancing around not fighting and losing and turning his head in fights. In fact, I think he's even fighting better this year, see his battle with Hordichuk last night. Solid scrap, doesn't have his head turned, and I'd give him the win. Peters is playing differently this year and I like what I'm seeing from him.

Peters has played himself into a regular 4th line shift.

I disagree Corp. Injuries have allowed him to dress for all 4 games and skate on the 4th line. With MacArthur playing well and when players get healthy(Connolly, Hecht & Gaustad), Peters will be in the press box more than he is on the bench.

At seasons end...40-45 games played, 1 goal, 2 assists and 10-20 embarrassing fights.

I disagree Corp. Injuries have allowed him to dress for all 4 games and skate on the 4th line. With MacArthur playing well and when players get healthy(Connolly, Hecht & Gaustad), Peters will be in the press box more than he is on the bench.

At seasons end...40-45 games played, 1 goal, 2 assists and 10-20 embarrassing fights.

Hmm.. I think you both have legit points. Injuries are giving more opportunity. Having said that, is there really anyone who hasn't noticed an upgrade in his play? Granted, he's still 4th line material, but he's playing hockey instead of just going out to rabble-rouse.. Something is different about this team, this year and it shows in lots of places.

Two words for Peters: STARE. ROIDS. Only explanation. He and Kyle Williams bought in bulk together this season.

Seriously ...

Six minutes is fine for him ... the other guys on his line can play a bit more with someone else spotted in when he is off for fighting or Lindy just wants a better player out there ... if they get 9-10 minutes out of that line, it's plenty. That's 17 minutes each for the other lines, not too much at all. In fact, I want Vanek and Pominville and Roy, etc., out there more than that. Go back and look at the TOI in 05-06 and 06-07 ... Mair was at less than 8 minutes both years and the top 3 lines were never overworked, IMO.

I am one of the guy's biggest haters but if Peters plays like he did last night AND stands in and actually fights like he did last night, i have no problem with him, even at 6 minutes. I have a problem when he plays 34 seconds, then he's a waste.

As mentioned, the only reason he's getting so much playing time is the injuries... but I do agree, he's actually made a few decent passes, taken some shots, thrown some solid checks, probably even created some so-so scoring chances. I'm not gonna say he's suddenly a good hockey player, but I agree that his effort is definitely there and he hasn't harmed the team by being on the ice.

Archived