Biggest Surprise So Far?

Trey

Biggest Surprise So Far?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Biggest Surprise through the first 3 games?

• 3-0 start
    • Lalime has already started a game
    • Vanek has 5 goals
    • Vanek has 2 short handed goals
    • Paille's strong play
    • 3 injured centers
    • Only 3 goals against
    • 100% Penalty kill
    • Rivet leads in penalty minutes
    • Peters is averaging 6 minutes + per game
    • Other

We have only played 3 games, but I can't help but be surprised at some of the things happening on the ice this year for Buffalo. Of all the interesting facts thus far, what are you surprised by the most?

A bad surprise "other" is Where is Roy? He's giving the puck away more than Max and seems to be non-existent since game 1, at least not the same Roy we've seen before.

He's still playing well away from the puck, but while he's had a few nice plays, has mostly looked like he is trying to do too much with the puck. I get the feeling that he felt like he carried a lot of the load last year and needs to do so again this year, especially with Timmy and Goose out. I hope he starts to realize that the rest of the team, including his linemate, is contributing a lot more this year and settles himself down. I am quite confident that he will, but hopefully it will be sooner rather than later.

Side note: is it possible to be better than 100% on the PK. Not only have we not allowed a goal against, but we've also scored two shorties. We have a negative in the GA/PIM (I made that stat up) rating. :thumbsup:

Trey, this is a very interesting poll you set up. All of the questions have a great degree of validity to them. Granted, I haven't been able to catch any of the games, but it would appear that they're doing quite well for themselves.

I just hope that they don't get cocky and wind up crashing and burning.

Picked Vaneks 2 Shorties.

I tuned into Lindys comment in preseason w/Vanek about their end of season talk and helping make him the best 2-way player in the NHL. I am a little surprised and elated it's like a switch has been turned on... :beer:

Two good surprises being Vanek's work on the PK and the PK in general.

A bad surprise "other" is Where is Roy? He's giving the puck away more than Max and seems to be non-existent since game 1, at least not the same Roy we've seen before.

Good point Mbossy. I did focus on mostly positives here. There have been some negatives to be sure. I lost out on last season (living overseas), but the hockey in the last 2 games has been real ugly. Lots of bad neutral zone play, terrible passes, devestating PP (sure, we've scored, but most of the time it looks terrible), etc. I'm guessing that there are three factors to this:

1. It's the beginning of the season, it takes time to get the rust off

2. Lindy's defensive approach to this season...the trap is not fun to watch

3. 3 missing centers means that the lines are getting mixed up and throwing chemistry off

With that being said, they're 3-0, I'm a happy man right now :thumbsup:

I went with the 3 GA. We all knew Vanek could score, so seeing him do it on the PK isn't that big a surprise to me. But in games 2 and 3, I was surprised this team had the killer instinct to keep both teams to just 1 goal the entire game. Last year they would constantly take chunks of the game off and give up weak goals.

Like I have stated before, having a BU goalie that gets along so well with Miller is huge factor in how Miller plays I think. Last night after the game Lalime came up to him and put both hands on millers helmet and talked to him for a minute, then they skated off together talking. This team is tight and it's going to pay off I think. Lalime and Rivet were great additions.

Defense has been great. Only allowing 3 goals thus far is very unreal, esspicially since we played Montreal AND a 5-0 team. Danny Paille has been a major suprise and is a key part to our success with his back checking, hitting and overall play, but, the biggest suprise is Thomas Vanek's 2 SHG. The guy has never gotten a SHG in his career and if anyone had even suggested before the pre-season to allow Vanek play on the PK, the thread who explode with people being very iffy on the idea.... and now not only is he playing good PK, but has 2 goals.

Archived