Is Vanek the new Es Poe See Toe?

Tony P

I don't know how many of us got to watch Phil Esposito play but those who did know that he was always around the net, scoring many of his goals on other players' "garbage".

Rebound, deflection or blocked shot, Espo was always there to knock it in.

I've been saying to friends for quite awhile now that Vanek scores more of these types of goals than anyone I've seen in a long time.

Not complaining mind you, not in the least. Just great to see the Sabres have a guy who's willing to crash the net and has the ability to put it home.

Most fans of the teams that played against PH, hated him (including me) but you can't take away his knack for scoring and Vanek has the same look IMHO.

Sabres looking strong early is a good sign!

I don't know how many of us got to watch Phil Esposito play but those who did know that he was always around the net, scoring many of his goals on other players' "garbage".

Rebound, deflection or blocked shot, Espo was always there to knock it in.

I've been saying to friends for quite awhile now that Vanek scores more of these types of goals than anyone I've seen in a long time.

Not complaining mind you, not in the least. Just great to see the Sabres have a guy who's willing to crash the net and has the ability to put it home.

Most fans of the teams that played against PH, hated him (including me) but you can't take away his knack for scoring and Vanek has the same look IMHO.

Sabres looking strong early is a good sign!

He's the new Mr. October!

You're my hero for complaining about a guy that has 5 goals in 3 games. Damn him for leading our team to victory. Let's examine Vanek's ability to carry the puck? His deke the other night past a sliding defenseman and then shooting past the goalie was a fluke. You suck.

:unsure:

I'm not sure, but I would think being compared to a Hall of Famer and 700+ goal scorer is a good thing.

I always thought Espo had two slots in the ice between the circles (the slot)for his blades to fit into. He would camp in front of the net and not be moved.

He was also a dirty player. I remember seeing a picture where he sliced open the forehead of someone with his stick.

:unsure:

I'm not sure, but I would think being compared to a Hall of Famer and 700+ goal scorer is a good thing.

I can only assume that the poster was NOT replying to my original post which wouldn't leave one with the impression that I was complaining :ph34r:

More likely, commenting on the post immediately follwing mine, from Bam Bam, no?

Thomas Vanek is playing out of this world. I can't even believe what a pressure it is seeing him play. Each time he's on the ice, the party i was at watching the game, everyone kinda leaned a little higher when he was on the ice, unofficially like "oh, vanek is on the ice, something is gonna happen". He's everywhere and his work ethic is unreal right now. I don't know what Lindy Ruff told him, but whatever it was, WOW.

I am not sure why anyone is surprised by how well Vanek is playing. He has shown flashes of this play for three seasons now. In his second season he kept it up for most of the season, but went hot and cold last season. He is still a young kid, playing under a lot of pressure, being the highest paid athlete in Buffalo sports history and all. This is a pretty special player, who is still getting better. That big contract he got, is worth it, if any such contract is worth it. Hopefully he can keep up this pace throughout the season...but lets' not overreact if he has a slump somewhere along the way. The guy may be a "garbage man" but he is just as capable of scoring some of the prettiest goals we are likely to see in Buffalo.

I have a hard time labeling anyone who scores 40+ goals a garbage goal getter.

You're my hero for complaining about a guy that has 5 goals in 3 games. Damn him for leading our team to victory. Let's examine Vanek's ability to carry the puck? His deke the other night past a sliding defenseman and then shooting past the goalie was a fluke. You suck.

:blink:

I am not sure why anyone is surprised by how well Vanek is playing.

I think everyone was tempered last year after Vanek scored one goal in his first 30 games. (or whatever it was)

I never saw Esposito play, but I'll throw this out there: Vanek > Holmstrom

Completely different types of players. I think they would look good on the same line.

Completely different types of players.

I wouldn't really say that. Holmstrom plays in front of the net pretty similar to Vanek. I think Vanek is more talented away from the net, though. Holmstrom has a little more size and strength, but imo in terms of crashing the net/screening the goalie, not too far off.

I doubt we have seen the best of Vanek to date. He is still a kid learning and expanding his game. It's funny because I seem to remeber taking some heat last season when I would defend Vanek and his work ethic. There were many on this board who felt Vanek was lazy which just wasn't the case. Sometimes when you work hard you don't get the results right away. I think we are starting to see all the work Vanek put in paying off.

I think Lindy Ruff deserves a lot of credit for Vanek's development. He didn't want to see Vanek end up a one dimensional B-Rod type. I think the sky is the limit for Vanek. Who knows, maybe a few years down the road he may be the first player to win the Hart Trophy and Frank Selke Trophy in the same season.

I doubt we have seen the best of Vanek to date. He is still a kid learning and expanding his game. It's funny because I seem to remeber taking some heat last season when I would defend Vanek and his work ethic. There were many on this board who felt Vanek was lazy which just wasn't the case. Sometimes when you work hard you don't get the results right away. I think we are starting to see all the work Vanek put in paying off.

I think Lindy Ruff deserves a lot of credit for Vanek's development. He didn't want to see Vanek end up a one dimensional B-Rod type. I think the sky is the limit for Vanek. Who knows, maybe a few years down the road he may be the first player to win the Hart Trophy and Frank Selke Trophy in the same season.

I don't know about the Selke, but I agree his work ethic was not really ever the problem. He has always busted it back when there is a turnover and has often broken up rushes from behind. If anything, he was guilty of losing coverage and staring to leave the defensive zone too soon, but to me that was not lack of effort. it was just inexperience and impatience. Especially last season when he thought he had to score on every shift to justify his salary.

I like the way Lindy has handled him, and Vanek deserves credit for responding and not just tuning him out and trying to get by on his talent.

I wouldn't really say that. Holmstrom plays in front of the net pretty similar to Vanek. I think Vanek is more talented away from the net, though. Holmstrom has a little more size and strength, but imo in terms of crashing the net/screening the goalie, not too far off.

I'll make it this simple. Holmstrom plays with an edge, Vanek doesn't. Vanek probably has better hands but nobody is more effective crashing the net than Holmstrom.

I'll make it this simple. Holmstrom plays with an edge, Vanek doesn't. Vanek probably has better hands but nobody is more effective crashing the net than Holmstrom.

Maybe not MORE effective, but Vanek does well, and I'm not just saying that because he's off to a hot start. I'd rather have Vanek.

Maybe not MORE effective, but Vanek does well, and I'm not just saying that because he's off to a hot start. I'd rather have Vanek.

In a perfect world theyboth would be on a line centered by Crosby and personally I find myself drwn more towards physical players like Holmstrom. That being said, if Vanek keeps up this new found style of play, he may just change my mind.

Holmstrom has scored 30 goals in his career exactly once ... Vanek is 11 years younger and more than half way to his career goal and point totals ... I WANT guys like Holmstrom on my team, but it's apples and oranges to compare Vanek to him. Vanek can be SO much more while doing a fraction of the dirty work Holmstrom HAS to do in front of the net to stay in the league.

These are the kind of goals this team needs to score. We know they can score in transition, but if they can keep adding the garbage goals that makes them that much more dangerous. Last night's Vanek goals don't really qualify, but the first powerplay goal (and I have no clue who got credit for it at this point) is the perfect example. Those are the kind of goals that win games and I'll gladly take at least one per game.

Obviously this Vanek start is huge. I want to see how he reacts when after a game where he doesn't score (but if he wants to score every single game, I can live with that). Vanek has been incredibly streaky every year. If he can cut back on those long scoring droughts, we may be looking at a top 10 player in this league.

Archived