Defensive Depth Chart

That Aud Smell

so, at the suggestion of several folks around here, i read bucky's piece today (the suggestion wasn't about today's piece, but about giving bucky another chance).

sayeth gleason: "the Sabres are deep with defensemen going into the season. Buffalo?s top six appear set with Mike Weber and Andrej Sekera battling for the seventh spot."

maybe i haven't been paying attention -- or maybe i've just been daydreaming -- but is it the case that paetsch is #6, and sekera/weber #7? i had somehow come to believe that paetsch was destined for #7 status and sekera/weber would in effect be battling for the 6-slot, with the likely outcome that sekera would play in the third pair with teppo.

or no?

Bottom line...if Sekera and Weber aren't in the top 6, they should be in Portland to start the season. Paetsch seems destined to be #7. So unless a trade happens, you are looking at Spacek, Tallinder, Lydman, Rivet, Teppo, Weber or Sekera(most likely Sekera) and Paestch as #7.

I don't think it was really a depth chart comment. Those 6 guys, and we all know who they are, will be with the big club to start the year. That leaves it down to Weber and Sekera for the last spot. One of those two will start the year in Portland, the other will be in the starting lineup in Buffalo.

so, at the suggestion of several folks around here, i read bucky's piece today (the suggestion wasn't about today's piece, but about giving bucky another chance).

sayeth gleason: "the Sabres are deep with defensemen going into the season. Buffalo?s top six appear set with Mike Weber and Andrej Sekera battling for the seventh spot."

maybe i haven't been paying attention -- or maybe i've just been daydreaming -- but is it the case that paetsch is #6, and sekera/weber #7? i had somehow come to believe that paetsch was destined for #7 status and sekera/weber would in effect be battling for the 6-slot, with the likely outcome that sekera would play in the third pair with teppo.

or no?

Paetsch is probably a lock at #7...the real question is who is going to be #6 because it is better to have a younger

player playing everyday in Portland than watching from next to the press box.

edit:

Whoops.....Labatt's already said it....

With the way that Paetsch has been playing during the preseason, he should probably be back in juniors. There's no doubt that, if being in the #7 spot meant anything about the player's priority in filling in for injuries, Weber would be there. Since it doesn't, Paetsch will sit in the pressbox while he watches Weber get called up. What's really scary is that Paetsch will make $800k to sit in the pressbox, while Weber will be making less than $100k to start in Portland (note: he will make much more than this because he will get his NHL salary when called up, but you get my point.)

what blue said, and x seconded, makes sense and squares with my expectations: sekera or weber won't stick in buffalo just so they can watch from the pressbox.

one other thing to add: i quite like the sound of butler's game. gleason harkened to teppo -- the profile made me think of hajt.

Archived