[OT] Hockey and the 2008 election

PASabreFan

Oprah is a talk show geared toward housewives not "reporting" the news like O'Reily and Limbaugh. I've never actually watched Matthews and isn't Olbermann just trying to be funny like Jon Stewart. He doesn't claim that he is giving you the "truth" like your guys.

Matthews and Olbermann are gone as MSNBC anchors and have been demoted to "commentators."

LINK

Out they go; in he comes. MSNBC is replacing Keith Olbermann and Chris Matthews as co-anchors of political night coverage with David Gregory, and will use K.O. and C.M. as -- omigosh! -- commentators.

LINK

MSNBC is removing Keith Olbermann and Chris Matthews as the anchors of live political events, bowing to growing criticism that they are too opinionated to be seen as neutral in the heat of the presidential campaign.

David Gregory, the NBC newsman and White House correspondent who also hosts a program on MSNBC, will take over during such events as this fall's presidential and vice presidential debates and election night.

The move, confirmed by spokesmen for both networks, follows increasingly loud complaints about Olbermann's anchor role at the Democratic and Republican conventions. Olbermann, who regularly assails President Bush and GOP nominee John McCain on his "Countdown" program, was effusive in praising the acceptance speech of Democratic nominee Barack Obama. He drew flak Thursday when the Republicans played a video that included a tribute to the victims of the Sept. 11 attacks, saying that if the networks had done that, "we would be rightly eviscerated at all quarters, perhaps by the Republican Party itself, for exploiting the memories of the dead, and perhaps even for trying to evoke that pain again. If you reacted to that videotape the way I did, I apologize."

Matthews, who has criticized politicians in both parties, drew less criticism for his convention role but became a divisive figure during the primaries when he described how he was inspired by Obama's speeches and made disparaging remarks about Hillary Clinton, for which he later apologized.

This post - far and away - is the best post I've seen on this thread.

FWIW, Rick Warren made it clear that Obama was purposely elusive on that question after that Presidential Forum at his church out in SoCal. I have to give a :thumbsup: to Warren on that one, in spite of the fact that he is definitely not one of my favorite preachers.

IMHO, when I heard Obama make that comment, I found it deeply insulting. :angry: I know that there are a number of us on here who don't come close to making a US Senator's salary, and he had the audacity to say that - given the fact that there are a number of us who already have our minds made up on that issue alone regardless of annual salary.

Oh please. He didn't mean he doesn't make enough money to figure out the question, or won't address it unless his boss gives him a raise! He was being humble. He was saying it's not his job -- it's God's -- to answer the question of when life begins.

Oh please. He didn't mean he doesn't make enough money to figure out the question, or won't address it unless his boss gives him a raise! He was being humble. He was saying it's not his job -- it's God's -- to answer the question of when life begins.

It amazes me that in 2008 that grown men that want to be leaders of the free world defer to fairy tales. I would love for a candidate to just come out and say to a reporter "it's 2008 and abortion is legal. Enough of wasting time, I'm going to concentrate of important issues like poverty, health care and education." There was a reason the founding fathers stressed separation of church and state. They knew the only way for a government to be truly successful in being for the people and by the people is to separate from a concept that has divided man and killed many throughout history.

It amazes me that in 2008 that grown men that want to be leaders of the free world defer to fairy tales. I would love for a candidate to just come out and say to a reporter "it's 2008 and abortion is legal. Enough of wasting time, I'm going to concentrate of important issues like poverty, health care and education." There was a reason the founding fathers stressed separation of church and state. They knew the only way for a government to be truly successful in being for the people and by the people is to separate from a concept that has divided man and killed many throughout history.

I was considering taking my previous post about political parties and just swapping in (organized) religions for the parties, as the same ideas tend to apply. I have no problem with having faith or believing in a higher power -- I do myself. I also share many of the morals that are at the foundation of almost all religions. I just find presumptuous to think that we may truly know "God". The elements that separate the major religions of the world are a tiny portion of the sum total of each one's beliefs and are often the result of the corruption that is inherent to any organization formed by man. How anyone can believe that their "book" is still the true word of God boggles my mind since each has been translated, manipulated and flat out changed by many leaders and "scholars" over time. You have every right to believe it is, but don't force it upon others. Faith is the most personal of choices there is. When one organized religion tries to become more than that, the motivation usually has very little to do with faith and death in "His name" is the usual result. If the major religions could embrace their common beliefs and agree to disagree about the details (and respect their rights to believe in those), the world would be a much better place.

I was considering taking my previous post about political parties and just swapping in (organized) religions for the parties, as the same ideas tend to apply. I have no problem with having faith or believing in a higher power -- I do myself. I also share many of the morals that are at the foundation of almost all religions. I just find presumptuous to think that we may truly know "God". The elements that separate the major religions of the world are a tiny portion of the sum total of each one's beliefs and are often the result of the corruption that is inherent to any organization formed by man. How anyone can believe that their "book" is still the true word of God boggles my mind since each has been translated, manipulated and flat out changed by many leaders and "scholars" over time. You have every right to believe it is, but don't force it upon others. Faith is the most personal of choices there is. When one organized religion tries to become more than that, the motivation usually has very little to do with faith and death in "His name" is the usual result. If the major religions could embrace their common beliefs and agree to disagree about the details (and respect their rights to believe in those), the world would be a much better place.

I have no problem with personal faith or spirituality. If a person needs to believe in something to help get through the day then so be it. Man invented the concept of god and began using it to control the masses. The Roman Emperor Constantine, the creator of Christianity, knew the power of faith among the poor and destitute so well he was able to create a church combining the growing numbers of Christians and the already established pagan religions. It was an idea so successful it works to this day. Since the invention of gods, millions of men, women and children have been killed by wars and crusades in the name of god and organized religion. We see it today. People throughout the world today are still needlessly murdered in faith based conflicts. The Holocausts, the attacks on 9/11 and the Crusades are examples of the devastation that has followed organized religion throughout history.

I have no problem with personal faith or spirituality. If a person needs to believe in something to help get through the day then so be it. Man invented the concept of god and began using it to control the masses. The Roman Emperor Constantine, the creator of Christianity, knew the power of faith among the poor and destitute so well he was able to create a church combining the growing numbers of Christians and the already established pagan religions. It was an idea so successful it works to this day. Since the invention of gods, millions of men, women and children have been killed by wars and crusades in the name of god and organized religion. We see it today. People throughout the world today are still needlessly murdered in faith based conflicts. The Holocausts, the attacks on 9/11 and the Crusades are examples of the devastation that has followed organized religion throughout history.

Man did not "invent" God. God created man.

Man chose to "invent" the wars, crusades, and terroristic acts. Man carried out the Holocausts and the attacks on 9/11. We, mankind, are the ones responsible for the ills that exist w/in our society.

God created man. God has given everyone the choice. The choice is up to you.

Man chose to "invent" the wars, crusades, and terroristic acts. Man carried out the Holocausts and the attacks on 9/11. We, mankind, are the ones responsible for the ills that exist w/in our society.

Which is what you have been programmed to believe since birth. It's tough to undo life long programming. That doesn't take away from man creating a concept of control that has been successful for thousands of years. Man has evolved into using his initial concept of god and religion into a tool for not just controlling the masses but also eliminating those that threaten his grasp on the control. The idea of a god and his disfavor allows leaders today to use that fear as a matter of division and destruction.

I had a feeling that the thread was going to go in this direction, and I figured to let some of you "hash this out."

Having said that, thanes, this is a great post on all accounts you mentioned. :thumbsup:

BTW, can someone please tell me what the fallout was between Keith Olbermann and ESPN a few years ago? I posted this question on the previous page.

T-shirt I saw a few years ago:

Front:

"GOD IS DEAD"

-NIETZSCHE

Back:

"NIETZSCHE IS DEAD"

-GOD

The irony is that the concept of god can will never die. Nietzsche is dead because he is mortal and subject to the rules of life and death. It is that fear of death and the unknown that fuels the concept of god. Man's inability to face his own mortality causes him to look elsewhere for answers instead of facing the inevitable fact that we are all here for a short period of time. Once that time is over there's nothing else. Man as a species finds it unbearable to come to that realization.

Whatever higher power you believe in, I implore you to pray to him/her/it/them for hockey season to start so this thread can be consigned to the ash heap of history.

Agreed. I think it has run its course, here. I am pretty impress at how respectful everyone was, though.

9 days till the first game!

Archived