[OT] Why Buffalo is kickass

Eleven

I found that it was an interesting article. Buffalo has to rebuild itself from the ground up but has been struggling to do since the implosion of steel. But, I commiserate as California (I call it California Dreamin) is similar in ways to NYC but much sunnier, without the swearing, and it doesn't smell like pee (except for LA). However, you do have to earn a sizable income to buy a small house with no yard. I've often thought about moving home as well but I can't think of anything I can apply my skills to back home. Which is a bummer in a way. Perhaps one of these days.

Nice article.

While some people can make big strides moving to Buffalo,

they're all baby steps for the city. It's gonna take awhile. Maybe by the time I'm done with college I won't have a reason to move elsewhere.

Or I can buy one of those houses for a buck?

Nice article.

While some people can make big strides moving to Buffalo,

they're all baby steps for the city. It's gonna take awhile.

We've turned a corner. I've been back for almost five years, and it's not the same now as it was when I came back. This city really is on the rise. And yes, there are negatives, and yes, there is work to do. But it's a palpable excitement in the air, and there's finally reason--not blind spirit, but reason--to believe that Buffalo is on its way back up.

Just as an example: There are more cranes downtown than I ever can remember, and they're not carrying wrecking balls.

I found that it was an interesting article. Buffalo has to rebuild itself from the ground up but has been struggling to do since the implosion of steel. But, I commiserate as California (I call it California Dreamin) is similar in ways to NYC but much sunnier, without the swearing, and it doesn't smell like pee (except for LA). However, you do have to earn a sizable income to buy a small house with no yard. I've often thought about moving home as well but I can't think of anything I can apply my skills to back home. Which is a bummer in a way. Perhaps one of these days.

Things you can do in SoCal that you can't do here:

Surf.

Smell pee, apparently.

Watch the LA Kings three times weekly. (Is that an advantage? Is smelling pee?)

Have two baseball teams to which no one pays any attention.

Hang out on beaches in February.

Be near people from LA. (Again, is that an advantage? Is smelling pee?)

Have the chance to see Paris Hilton close up. (I won't use the same parenthetical a third time.)

Not sure what your skills are, but I'll bet there's something that fits those skills back home. The beaches in February thing, well, even PA Sabre can't fix that.

On the other hand:

Great houses with yards--I hate mowing, though--at incredible prices and with character.

Pro football, with real, non-bandwagon fans. Find that in SoCal, and no, the Chargers and their fans that jumped on the last three years don't count.

Real hockey and people who know real hockey.

Skiing, 45 mins away from downtown. Skating, and even curling. And biking and scrambling and all sorts of warm weather stuff, too.

Hanging out with friends and family when the area is shut down for three days because of a storm (and that IS fun).

Olmsted parks. Frank Lloyd Wright and Louis Sullivan buildings.

Great restaurants that aren't chains and that don't care what movie you weren't in.

Great shops that are the same way.

Hey, I've missed a lot of things about the "big city" since I came back (from Washington). I always will. But there's a place for anyone who wants to be here, whatever their skills are.

(Sorry if I've gotten preachy; I always will champion this city.)

I'm working on it too. We were close to moving back a year ago, but my father had some medical issues so we decided to stay in GA for the time being (he lives here). I'm up there a few times a year, my GA born children are Buffalo sports fans, and my wife has picked my WNY voice. It's a shame, we had found a very nice place in EA and I had landed a job doing exactly what I do here that was going to pay full cross-country relocation! We had to back out at the last minute.

I find that considering myself a "WNY'er living out of state" makes it easier to live away from home.

Surfing for me not so much of an advantage. The water pollution often causes ear and sinus infections for surfers. I pass on that as I get those without having to go in the water.

As for skills, I don't think we're doing much rocket science back home so I'm stuck out to where the rocket science is at. I'm stuck to places such as Cali, Fla, Tx, Seattle, Denver, DC, or Kansas. Hey, but if someone does know a company that does, let me know!

Surfing for me not so much of an advantage. The water pollution often causes ear and sinus infections for surfers. I pass on that as I get those without having to go in the water.

As for skills, I don't think we're doing much rocket science back home so I'm stuck out to where the rocket science is at. I'm stuck to places such as Cali, Fla, Tx, Seattle, Denver, DC, or Kansas. Hey, but if someone does know a company that does, let me know!

About the closest to rockets would be Calspan. The do a lot of stuff like flight simulation, wind tunnel testing, balistics testing, automotive crash testing, etc; but I don't think they quite match your line.

We've turned a corner. I've been back for almost five years, and it's not the same now as it was when I came back. This city really is on the rise. And yes, there are negatives, and yes, there is work to do. But it's a palpable excitement in the air, and there's finally reason--not blind spirit, but reason--to believe that Buffalo is on its way back up.

Just as an example: There are more cranes downtown than I ever can remember, and they're not carrying wrecking balls.

You're making me homesick. :cry:

About the closest to rockets would be Calspan. The do a lot of stuff like flight simulation, wind tunnel testing, balistics testing, automotive crash testing, etc; but I don't think they quite match your line.

I looked there but not quite any jobs that match for me.

Archived