Hockey for little girls?

McJeff215

Hi folks...

My daughter is going to turn seven in September. She's been wanting to play hockey for a while now (six months?). I've finally given in and plan to sign her up for skating lessons this weekend. We'll probably go down and do a free skate and I'll register her on the way out.

While I have no real problem putting her in a hockey program after she's gotten some lessons under he belt... I'm not sold on it being the best idea for a little girl. Do any of you have kids (especially girls) in any hockey programs? Any advice here? She wants to be a goaltender...

On the other hand, she's convinced she'll play in the NHL. Any time anyone asks her what she'll be when she grows up, she answers with a real definitive "Um.. duh? A hockey player!" answer. She just doesn't want to play "for those stupid Bostons!"

Hi folks...

My daughter is going to turn seven in September. She's been wanting to play hockey for a while now (six months?). I've finally given in and plan to sign her up for skating lessons this weekend. We'll probably go down and do a free skate and I'll register her on the way out.

While I have no real problem putting her in a hockey program after she's gotten some lessons under he belt... I'm not sold on it being the best idea for a little girl. Do any of you have kids (especially girls) in any hockey programs? Any advice here? She wants to be a goaltender...

On the other hand, she's convinced she'll play in the NHL. Any time anyone asks her what she'll be when she grows up, she answers with a real definitive "Um.. duh? A hockey player!" answer. She just doesn't want to play "for those stupid Bostons!"

I don't have any daughters, but I have coached several girls (developmental, Mites, and Squirts) and they absolutely can compete with the boys at that age. Girls can definitely play goalie as well. One of my top "D-men" was a girl as was my top goalie. On the team I helped coach, again the top "defenseman" was a girl.

The only advice that I'd have is get her started. Let her tryout for a Mite team, although if she hasn't skated; she'll probably end up in the developmental / overage beginner program. A year of skating and she'll play on a Mite team next year in a worst case.

Send me a PM if you have any specific Q's.

I don't have any daughters, but I have coached several girls (developmental, Mites, and Squirts) and they absolutely can compete with the boys at that age. Girls can definitely play goalie as well. One of my top "D-men" was a girl as was my top goalie. On the team I helped coach, again the top "defenseman" was a girl.

The only advice that I'd have is get her started. Let her tryout for a Mite team, although if she hasn't skated; she'll probably end up in the developmental / overage beginner program. A year of skating and she'll play on a Mite team next year in a worst case.

Send me a PM if you have any specific Q's.

That's a lot of help, thanks. I'll get her some plain old skating lessons first, and then let her get into hockey once she can stand up. I was really just worried that she'd be outplayed and singled out because she's a girl and all that.

That's a lot of help, thanks. I'll get her some plain old skating lessons first, and then let her get into hockey once she can stand up. I was really just worried that she'd be outplayed and singled out because she's a girl and all that.

Get her skating lessons and take her to skate and shoots / open skates.

Not sure where you're located (I thought it was Hotlanta, but the Baaston comment makes me think I've got you confused with another poster), but most organizations have their developmental program which takes kids literally from only being able to stand on skates while holding a cone up through ending the year with a tournament with real games. If she really wants to be "playing hockey", she may like that better than lessons where she isn't allowed to hold a stick.

The reason I suggested having her tryout for the Mite team rather than just automatically put her into a developmental program is she will probably have more fun playing real games after every 2nd or 3rd practice vs having only practices for the majority of the winter. She will definitely pick up offsides and the like quicker if she's playing in games. You can talk to the people running the org as to what they'd recommend. They've been through it all and will be good sounding boards.

There's no checking until PeeWee, so until she's 11, there's no reason to rush her into a girls league. And if she's a goalie, even at the PeeWee level there's no reason to rush her over.

Whatever you do, make sure you get a video of her at the beginning of the season and at the end of the season. You will be amazed at the progress she makes in 6 months.

Good luck w/ it.

Most girls compete with the boys until they're about 14/bantam age. Some seem to go further. We have a few down here in Virginia that have stayed all the way through midgets.

It's no problem for the girls to play with the boys at the younger ages, and if they're willing to take a beating (and dish one out, too), they can play with the boys when they're older. Lots of times, it seems to me, that they end up playing on the girls teams once the real hard hitting and shooting begins (Bantams and Midgets).

Absolutely get your daughter involved. You won't regret it!

Hi folks...

Try the Maple Leafs.

Ok, she's signed up for skating classes starting Aug 25th. That leads right into their kid's cross-ice program.. when I signed her up, one of the girls behind the counter talked to her for a bit, she used to play goal at that age.

Ok, she's signed up for skating classes starting Aug 25th. That leads right into their kid's cross-ice program.. when I signed her up, one of the girls behind the counter talked to her for a bit, she used to play goal at that age.

Who knows? Maybe she'll go further in the NHL than Manon Rheaume.

Makes me wonder if some team will draft Noora Raty. If a 16 year old can make the Finnish women's ice hockey team for the 2006 Winter Olympics, then she should be able to get in the NHL.

Just remind your daughter that there's no crying in hockey. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Update... today was her first skating class. She was scared to let go of the rink side on the way in, but was skating backwards across the ice by the time the class was over. Now just need to take her to public skates so she can practice.

I'm thinking of taking that course so I can help get involved with the Hockey program. Fun stuff!

My daughter is 13 and has been playing for about 5 years. She plays on her school team (all boys) as well as an all boys youth team and a 16u girls team. She goaltends as well. I am glad she decided on goal - I think it has worked out best for playing on the boys' teams. The school is a checking league. Maybe it is because I have 3 daughters that I was just glad one wanted to play, but I have no fears of her being protected. The boys protect her well. Good luck in your daughter's season - just beware, girls are much less likely to accept used equipment (and goalie eq. ain't cheap!)

Archived