And now for something really different ...

carpandean

After Matt (a.k.a. Ghetto Farm Boy) at Icethetics.com did his re-brand off the Sabres and it ended up being exactly what most of us would really want for our actual logo (i.e., an updated version of the classic logo), not what many of were hoping to see in his series (he had been known for some pretty cool and completely new logo concepts), I decided to give myself a fun challenge. I set out to come up with a completely new logo (no classic, goat head or slug designs). I knew in advance that it wouldn't be something that I'd actually want -- that will continue to be a classic-based logo -- so I felt really free to try weird designs.

Here is the first one that I've come up with:

post-1053-1217484834_thumbjpg

post-1053-1217484852_thumbjpg

(For anyone that reads Icethetics, this is a redraw of my proof-of-concept version shown in Freak-Out-Friday last week. That one used a skull drawn by somebody else in a Native American design. This one is completely drawn by me, using the other design as a guide.)

What can I say ... the off-season is too long.

Nice.. It looks sorta evil..

Sorry guys... I don't like it...

I will say it... :nana:

I can just see the nickname with associated with that logo:

The Utes

For uterus!

:o

You can tell where my mind is! And I want no part of that shriveled up old mass!

:bag:

Go easy on me (I didn't exactly go easy on you carp) boys!... Just speaking my mind. You be the judge:

The Uts

Now cross it with dualing sabres, run and run fast!

OMFG!

:bag: :bag:

If(when) the jerseys change again and if they decide not to go back to an updated "classic" logo, I'd be all in favor of the "B" with the sword through it, which was/is used as a secondary logo on the shoulders.

The fact that they are the SABRES and the Quinny logo(sluggilicious) has no SABRE in it, will NEVER EVER EVER make sense to me. :doh:

While I continue to be perplexed as to why there's this cottage industry out there where graphic professionals create logos for sports teams (not fans like Carp, it's just for fun), I do like the rebrand very much. I could have lived with that!

Carp... an A for effort. That takes a lot of talent. But I hear the voice of a little girl in my head. "Daddy, why did that buffalo die?"

Just busting your chops. I've never been a fan of the angry buffalo. The bison to me represents strength, power, courage, stamina, grace under adversity etc. Those values should be represented in the logo. Or should have been. The buffalo and the city share so much in common, right down to being almost extinct. :) What a glorious opportunity the Sabres missed to do a truly special logo.

I can just see the nickname with associated with that logo:

The Utes

For uterus!

But I hear the voice of a little girl in my head. "Daddy, why did that buffalo die?"

:w00t:

Classic, guys!

Don't worry, I don't mind if people wouldn't want it as our logo. I think most people would associate this more with a Texas team, too. I'm just bored without hockey (the only professional sport that I really watch) and it was fun to make.

Did you see BTP's analysis of how much the logo was "touched" over the years? :)

Yeah, and I see that as more of a lower production standards issue. I wouldn't be surprised if the same thing happened to a lot of teams over that time span.

Am I the only one who never wanted to see an updated version of the original logo? Some things are better left untouched.

When you consider that the alternative ended up being the slug, I was all in favor of updateing the original logo. :)

Am I the only one who never wanted to see an updated version of the original logo? Some things are better left untouched.

I would include just bringing back the original on an RBK jersey (a la Winter Classic jersey) as an "updated" version of the old logo. Teams like Detroit, Toronto, Montreal, etc, have "updated" versions of their classic logos, too.

Maybe we should have a hockey version of the Bison's logo with Buster. We could call him Baxter or something similar sounding to that. Then at intermission he and Sabretooth could have a death match.

Archived