Sundin who? Who cares?

Chief Enabler

Why do I keep finding myself flooded with "Sundin undecided" crap? Who cares? He can go on any playoff contending team that will overpay; oh wait, Hossa went there, sorry Mats no more chairs. Stay in Sweden ya bum!

-sorry, I couldnt hold this one until Thursday :nana:

Why do I keep finding myself flooded with "Sundin undecided" crap? Who cares? He can go on any playoff contending team that will overpay; oh wait, Hossa went there, sorry Mats no more chairs. Stay in Sweden ya bum!

And yet if the Sabres were to sign Mats it would be the biggest player transaction since the Sabres traded for Lafontaine. We should all hope if he does play it is out west.

And yet if the Sabres were to sign Mats it would be the biggest player transaction since the Sabres traded for Lafontaine. We should all hope if he does play it is out west.

mats is the canadian messier like shaq is the white larry bird

Ironically, the front office isn't cheap enough to have $10 million of free space to sign him.

Who cares ?

All of toronto.

Matts is God in Toronto.

Sundin (I call him Subdin) worship is one of the most pathetic things I've seen from any fan base.

Why? Because the guy has consistently scored over 70 pts/season for the last 10 years? I don't blame Leafs fans one bit for "worshiping" him.

Yea I'm with ya. Everyone needs to shut up until there is some REAL news, as in, he makes a decision on what he's doing. I'm sick of the headline stories on TSN. It's not necessary to have a report about how there's nothing to report.

• 1 month later...

Well, he's not going to Montreal.

http://links.tsn.ca/a/l.x?T=pbcddakhhfmbkb...07&E=255313

per TSN:

The Montreal Canadiens have acquired forward Robert Lang from the Chicago Blackhawks, in return for a second-round selection in the 2010 NHL Entry Draft (acquired from Toronto along with Greg Pateryn, in return for Mikha?l Grabovski, July 3, 2008).

When asked if the acquisition of Lang meant free agent Mats Sundin was no longer in their plans, Canadiens general manager Bob Gainey replied "yes."

These type of moves are ridiculous, immature and selfish. If you can't make a decision before the start of the season, how do you know that you'll be able to make one during the season? The answer, of course, is you wait to see who is a legitimate contender. Meanwhile, you are costing 3-4 teams by having them hold a spot for you. Yes, adding Sundin to the Sabres would be amazing, but if they were holding a spot for him, I'd tell them to fill it another way like the Canadiens just did.

They should institute a new rule that you can not make additions to a roster after a certain date, barring a playing being placed on LTIR (so, Pratt for Numminen would have been fine.) Call-ups would have to have played a certain number of games in the AHL to be eligible, too, so that players can't back-door the system either.

Ironically, the front office isn't cheap enough to have $10 million of free space to sign him.

I meant to repond to this before;

a) The Sabres have more cap space then all teams supposedly in the Sundin mix (Vancouver is actually close depending on which players are counted)

b) The Sabres could easily afford Sundin under the cap if they wanted to as his actual salary will be closer to $7 million and they could just jettison Timmy and Max to almost cover it alone.

c) This will be the first year that the Sabres will be in the bottom third in the league as far as cap space used.

I meant to repond to this before;

a) The Sabres have more cap space then all teams supposedly in the Sundin mix (Vancouver is actually close depending on which players are counted)

b) The Sabres could easily afford Sundin under the cap if they wanted to as his actual salary will be closer to $7 million and they could just jettison Timmy and Max to almost cover it alone.

c) This will be the first year that the Sabres will be in the bottom third in the league as far as cap space used.

Yeah, I knew each of these and was totally kidding. One team (Vancouver, I think) has offered him 2 yrs, $20 million, but I doubt he'll end up there. Right now, the Sabres' actual cap hit (swapping Kaleta and Sekera's real cap hits for Ryan and Pratt's listed $0 cap hits on nhlnumbers.com) is a hair over $49 million, leaving about $7.7 million in actual cap space. As you said, finding a way to offload Max or Timmy would be enough to hit $10 million. In a quick look, I saw about 9 teams that are likely to be below us, though two of those (Vancouver and Toronto) are on the Sundin list, so we are just barely in the bottom third. Part of that, though, is that they know Miller and Pommer will get big raises starting next years and, even if they trade/drop each, they will still have to fill Connolly, Kotalik, Max and Spacek's spaces with bodies, not all of which will be rookies. They should easily make it under the cap next year, but not as easily make it under their own budget, even if it is a higher % like is has been.

I agree. Whether or not Sabres fans think he's a douchebag, he would be a great player on this team.

Let's just indulge this daydream a little more:

Sundin-Pominville-Hecht

Vanek-Roy-Stafford

Connolly-Kotalik-Paille

Gaustad-Mair-Kaleta

extra forwards: MacArthur, Peters (with Gerbe and Kennedy pushing up from Down East)

(this assumes that Max is unloaded to clear some budget space for the big Swede)

Spacek-Rivet

Tallinder-Lydman

Teppo-Sekera

Paetsch (with Weber pushing hard)

That team is my preseason #1 in the East.

Go Sabres.

Archived