Hey everyone / Craig Rivet

WNY-Enforcer

Hey all, new to the board, just figured I'd say Hi. I'm a long time Sabres fan, and normally posted on the NHL message board for the Sabres, however I got sick of reading all the garbage on there nightly, so decided to give you guys a try. My friend had told me this site was great for true hockey fans, and after reading it I agree. I look forward to getting to know all of you.

As my first topic I figured I'd say kudos to the Sabres for trading for Rivet, he is a great defender, proven leader, and above all else a guy who knows what it takes to win. Last year in the playoffs he was a shot blocking machine and threw his weight around. I bartend, so I actually watch the Sharks games at work quite often, and even in the regular season he was an animal. I really cant wait to see him skate with Spacek or Weber. I think he's gonna give us a big boost next year on the blue lines.

welcome, enforcer.

i think most folks around here are pleased with the rivet signing as well. one of things that was most pleasing to me as i perused his youtube clips was not just that he would fight from time to time, but that he would drop them for the right reason(s) and that he's apparently capable of delivering a beating to someone.

when's the last time we had backup like that from the blue line? warrener could bring that game to a degree - but i think you have to go all the way back to schoeny and korab.

welcome, enforcer.

i think most folks around here are pleased with the rivet signing as well. one of things that was most pleasing to me as i perused his youtube clips was not just that he would fight from time to time, but that he would drop them for the right reason(s) and that he's apparently capable of delivering a beating to someone.

when's the last time we had backup like that from the blue line? warrener could bring that game to a degree - but i think you have to go all the way back to schoeny and korab.

No doubt, another guy that could do it, is Jay McKee, but he rarely did. After the Campbell hit on RJ Umberger (sp?) McKee and Hecht were the first guys in to pull the Flyers off, and McKee actually threw a few decent shots on the Philly player that was on Hechts back. I really do see Rivet as more of a Jay McKee type player. Maybe a little more grit, but very similar to McKee whom I know we were all sad to see go.

Hey all, new to the board, just figured I'd say Hi. I'm a long time Sabres fan, and normally posted on the NHL message board for the Sabres, however I got sick of reading all the garbage on there nightly, so decided to give you guys a try. My friend had told me this site was great for true hockey fans, and after reading it I agree. I look forward to getting to know all of you.

As my first topic I figured I'd say kudos to the Sabres for trading for Rivet, he is a great defender, proven leader, and above all else a guy who knows what it takes to win. Last year in the playoffs he was a shot blocking machine and threw his weight around. I bartend, so I actually watch the Sharks games at work quite often, and even in the regular season he was an animal. I really cant wait to see him skate with Spacek or Weber. I think he's gonna give us a big boost next year on the blue lines.

Welcome, nice to have you here. I'm really excited that we have Rivet as well. We haven't had a player like him since we had McKee, and actually, I think he can bring more to the table than Jay (especially at this point in their careers). I'm also hoping he can be something of a "secret weapon" on the powerplay. Our team is obviously lacking on the PP, and Rivet has been able to put some points on the board playing the point on San Jose's PP.

Welcome.

Rivet is definitely a great addition and few here would disagree. He was definitely one big line item on the to-do list that the front office could check off. Lalime may or may not be an improvement. He played well in Chicago last year for 30+ games behind a questionable team. I tend to think that T-bo performed below expectations partly due to limited starts and partly due to just having a bad year. Give him another year in the same position, he would probably have done fine, especially with a few more starts. I hope they learned their lesson about starts and have a little more confidence in Lalime. If so, he should do fine.

Any real criticisms of the FO this summer less about what they have added, but more about what they still haven't added and/or deleted. They believe that Max is worth more than just a write-off of $3M in cap space (assuming they could at least have traded him for a draft pick, even a low round one), which one could certainly debate, and they feel that if Connolly can start the season healthy, then they are fine up the middle, which is crazy in my eyes.

Hopefully, we are not quite done yet.

Welcome.

Rivet is definitely a great addition and few here would disagree. He was definitely one big line item on the to-do list that the front office could check off. Lalime may or may not be an improvement. He played well in Chicago last year for 30+ games behind a questionable team. I tend to think that T-bo performed below expectations partly due to limited starts and partly due to just having a bad year. Give him another year in the same position, he would probably have done fine, especially with a few more starts. I hope they learned their lesson about starts and have a little more confidence in Lalime. If so, he should do fine.

Any real criticisms of the FO this summer less about what they have added, but more about what they still haven't added and/or deleted. They believe that Max is worth more than just a write-off of $3M in cap space (assuming they could at least have traded him for a draft pick, even a low round one), which one could certainly debate, and they feel that if Connolly can start the season healthy, then they are fine up the middle, which is crazy in my eyes.

Hopefully, we are not quite done yet.

To be 100% honest I highly doubt we are done this off season. Plenty of "role players" are still out there, and thats what the Sabres need, we have a "star" players in Roy Pomminstein Vanek and Miller, this team needs to fill out its' role players. Maybe a strong shot blocking defender, such as Kondratiev from Anahiem, or a guy at forward who could play with Vanek and Roy like a Marcell Hossa, or even a tough guy like Clark from NJD. Lots of options still out there, and I think right now we are focused on seeing where Miller and Pommers are going to run us money wise, so they can plan on what kind of money they can spend not only this season but in the future as well. A ton of teams have cap locked themselves, and the cap wont rise 6M every year, 3 years after the lock out the NHL is going to level off on it's growth a bit. Next year I'd be shocked if the cap raised more than 3.5M

While I agree, that he make it sound like that, he also said the same thing in 05-06 that afternoon, and that evening we had Dainus Zubrus on our roster. DR is one of those guys that keeps his intentions his own, and doesn't share with the media what his plans are. Which in a small market isn't a bad thing, but it's very difficult for the fans to read what his intentions actually are.

Welcome - IMAO, this is the definitive Sabres board. Has been around long enough to go through some up & down cycles of the team and always a good place to celebrate or commiserate with other aficionados of the team.

BTW - wasn't there an earlier version of this board that was reset to the current version? I remeber registering once then having to do so again a year or so later. If that's the case, then the board is even older than we think - all the more credibility to it. Maybe one of the founders can give us a history sometime since it's the Summer doldrums & we're stuck without much to discuss...

Cheers,

Barnabov

Welcome - IMAO, this is the definitive Sabres board. Has been around long enough to go through some up & down cycles of the team and always a good place to celebrate or commiserate with other aficionados of the team.

BTW - wasn't there an earlier version of this board that was reset to the current version? I remeber registering once then having to do so again a year or so later. If that's the case, then the board is even older than we think - all the more credibility to it. Maybe one of the founders can give us a history sometime since it's the Summer doldrums & we're stuck without much to discuss...

Cheers,

Barnabov

SDS got mad watching the Sabres game and spilled his beer all over the server. We all wondered if the world was coming to an end. We had all this time on our hands and no one to talk to. :chris: arg

Cheers,

Barnabov

There used to be one called "GoSabres!" I don't recall anymore if it was tied to SDS. Maybe it was gosabres became "sabresfans". Hard to keep track of all the Sabres message boards that have existed throughout the years.

To be 100% honest I highly doubt we are done this off season. Plenty of "role players" are still out there, and thats what the Sabres need, we have a "star" players in Roy Pomminstein Vanek and Miller, this team needs to fill out its' role players. Maybe a strong shot blocking defender, such as Kondratiev from Anahiem, or a guy at forward who could play with Vanek and Roy like a Marcell Hossa, or even a tough guy like Clark from NJD. Lots of options still out there, and I think right now we are focused on seeing where Miller and Pommers are going to run us money wise, so they can plan on what kind of money they can spend not only this season but in the future as well. A ton of teams have cap locked themselves, and the cap wont rise 6M every year, 3 years after the lock out the NHL is going to level off on it's growth a bit. Next year I'd be shocked if the cap raised more than 3.5M

Marcel Hossa signed to play in Europe per thehockeynews.com...

Also, are you referring to ClarkSON on the Devils?

I think we're done making changes. We may bring Teppo or Nolan Pratt back, but that's all. Judging by the interviews, management seems set on what they have now. There are some decent veterans still available at forward, namely Shanahan, but I don't think we can bring in a forward when we have 14 already. We'd have to move someone. I think we need to move one regardless of whether or not we sign a UFA:

Vanek

Roy

Pominville

Afinogenov

Gaustad

Kotalik

Kaleta

Mair

Paille

Stafford

Connolly

Hecht

Peters

MacArthur

Even removing Peters from the equation since he's not a full-time guy, that still leaves 13 NHL-caliber players, and you can only have 23 players on your active NHL roster (12 forwards, 6 defensemen, 2 goalies, 3 extras). You need that extra D (either Paetsch or Weber) up here, plus 2 forwards. So, no room is left unless they finally get rid of Peters. I still hope that one of Afinogenov/Kotalik/Connolly gets moved.

Cheers,

Barnabov

This site used to be called sabresreport.com before its current form of sabrespace.com. I cannot remember whether we had to re-register or not with that change but I remember helping SDS make the sabrespace logo and all the little buttons and icons here on the forum. This was before the time warp (it's just a jump to left; and a step to the ri-i-i-i-ight...) server error we had recently that sent us all back and lost us thousands of posts.

This site used to be called sabresreport.com before its current form of sabrespace.com. I cannot remember whether we had to re-register or not with that change but I remember helping SDS make the sabrespace logo and all the little buttons and icons here on the forum. This was before the time warp (it's just a jump to left; and a step to the ri-i-i-i-ight...) server error we had recently that sent us all back and lost us thousands of posts.

Reregistration was not necessary w/ the name change.

Reregistration only necessary for those that registered during the "time warp".

Archived