Buffalo v. Ottawa

Goodfella25

I like the picture of the ladies you have. Nice! Do they play defense?

Gerber blows, everone knows that. But that defense is solid around him. Redden is a loss. Smith, if he stays healthy, could be a nice addition. Their mistake was to trade Corvo. Idiot Murray...

Corvo forced a trade. He wanted out of Ottawa.

I like the picture of the ladies you have. Nice! Do they play defense?

Gerber blows, everone knows that. But that defense is solid around him. Redden is a loss. Smith, if he stays healthy, could be a nice addition. There mistake was to trade Corvo. Idiot Murray...

You don't recognise them? Thats Tallinder and Lydman

I apreciate your post. But you are dead wrong -- because Ottawa's defense is WAY WAY WAY WAY better than blfos.

* Solid performer (4 guy on ANY TEAM in the National League) -- Andrej MESZAROS

* #2 guy for ANY team in the league -- Chris PHILLIPS

* #2 guy for ANY team in the league (shot blocker and devasting HITTER, ask Paille) Anton VOLCHENKOV

* former #1 guy, injury bug now. Still a #4 guy on ANY TEAM -- Jason SMITH

* one of the finest prospects at defense in the eastern (Prince of Wales) division, a future #2 guy -- Brian LEE

* very good skating, smart player (carbon copy of lydman for them, as their #6 guy; lydman is sabres #3 behind rivet and tallinder) -- Christoph SCHUBERT

On paper Volchenkov, Phillips, Smith and Meszaros are a good starting four and look better than Tallinder, Lydman, Rivet and Spacek. Yet these are the same Ottawa players (save Smith) that struggled in the final months of the season. They gave up 16 goals in four games against Pitt. So we'll have to see if Ottawa's late season funk was more the result of injured forwards or more the result of bad defense. Buffalo's starting four just never put together a sound defensive week all season. They were average or less than average all season and only occasionally good. Considering that Buffalo was among the league leaders in offensive production (I know scoring seemed feast or famine) the finger needs to be pointed at ALL players on Buffalo's side of the blueline. With a rebound season by both teams, I believe that Buffalo's starting four could be the equal of Ottawas'.

I apreciate your post. But you are dead wrong -- because Ottawa's defense is WAY WAY WAY WAY better than blfos.

* #2 guy for ANY team in the league (shot blocker and devasting HITTER, ask Paille) Anton VOLCHENKOV

* one of the finest prospects at defense in the eastern (Prince of Wales) division, a future #2 guy -- Brian LEE

* very good skating, smart player (carbon copy of lydman for them, as their #6 guy; lydman is sabres #3 behind rivet and tallinder) -- Christoph SCHUBERT

Chris Phillips a #2 on any team is an overstatement. But I do think he is under-rated.

I think they are still going to have to move Meszaros yet.

From Garrioch the Hutt.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/Ottaw...pf-6128951.html

This was a defense that really crapped the bed last year, they started last season gangbusters, and then lost all and any

identity. They still have potential to be very good.

Smith I think is a third pairing guy most nights. They will be lucky to get 14-16 minutes out of him most nights.

But he should set the tone...their pairings were a mess by the trade deadline last year, and the sum of the parts was less than the talent they could put on the ice.

I'm "dead wrong"? Thanks for letting me know <_< . That's just you're opinion, and I have mine. Now, let's review:

Meszaros: Top 4, if not top pairing guy, no dispute there. He's the centerpiece.

Phillips: You're rating him as a #2 on any team? Are you serious? He's not a top pairing guy on most teams--just happens to be with the Sens. Looking at the depth charts around the league, at the most, about a 3rd of the league would have him on their top pair.

Volchenkov: Again, a #2 on any team? Do you have a pro-Senators bias? He's good, but not a top-pairing guy. Aside from what I have seen with my own eyes, nearly every scouting report I have read says he's a top4 guy that lacks confidence with the puck and doesn't have puck-handling ability. He's as sound as they come defensively though.

Smith: Blocks a lot of shots, proven veteran leader. But his best days are long behind him. Saw him get torched a lot last season, but I still like him. He's a good #4.

Lee: The jury is definitely still out on him because he hasn't had time to prove anything, just like Sekera and Weber. He projects as a top-4, and was #9 overall in 2005.

Schubert: This is where you're the most off. His defense is questionable, and that fact combined with their thin forward ranks led them to use him up front. He isn't comparable to Lydman aside from the fact that they're both dumb in their defensive zone.

Tallinder/Lydman: They are top-4 guys, not top 2 though. If you're going to say they're you're top two, you better be able to spread the ice time and have some depth.

Spacek: Good PP guy, moves the puck well, throws the occasional hit, can move the puck up ice. Occasional brain fart in his own zone. Looking at the depth charts around the league, he's a good #3 on most teams.

Rivet: We haven't seen much of him out here lately since he has been in San Jose, but he's a good #3 and at the worst #4 that can pitch in on the PP. He's better than Smith at this point in his career, and he won't be getting torched and knows how to play position.

Weber/Sekera: Andrej has great PP potential and can skate like the wind. He's got the makings of a sound puck-moving defenseman. Weber needs to put on some weight, but he has the makings of a sound defensive defenseman. How much better is Schubert than either one of these guys?

I would level with you to the point where the Sens have a slight edge, but it only comes from the fact that their #1 and #2 are better than ours. It's really close, and I don't think the idea that the Sens defense is "way way way way" better can hold up, and I'm saying this as someone who doesn't like/consistently rips on the Sabres defense. Finally, keep in mind this is before even considering the system, or the coaching, or more importantly the goaltending.

your probably right. i hate to be a downer but our lines are soft. If it is anything like last season, scoring is inconsistent and in streaks. Shutting down is an issue too; as much as scoring consistent is. Miller needs to be shutdown more often, way too many softies; because of defense or him. I didnt mean to open a can of worms here.

Bingo. We never found any consistency in our offense - we'd blow out teams 10-1 and then hit 437 posts and miss 64 open nets over the next week and lose a bunch of 3-1 games.

Part of me thinks that if you are up 2-0 or 2-1 after one, Lindy switches things up to shutdown or push. I wasnt sure if he had the confidence last year. I feel the control wasnt there much of the time. Call it chemistry or whatever. Now, we are at the point of proven role players (roster), we know what we are going to get out of them; and coaching them to a higher standard. consistently. someone must feel confident with this line-up. :unsure:

Good point. We rarely showed anything that resembled a shutdown defense or an ability to lock it down with the lead - so we kept pushing and that usually resulted in turnovers and odd-man rushes against.

We had this discussion before around the finale against Boston and again in the offseason and I stand by this - I would be fine with turning down the offense a notch and skating off with a bunch of 3-1 wins. I don't want to see us go to a lock or trap, but frankly I don't really care if we win 8-2 or 2-1. I want the frigging two points and want to get in the playoffs.

Well there are some rumors surfacing that Vermette wants to be traded and that the Sens are actively looking to trade Chris Neil. If one or both of those things happen, I find the Sens to be less fearsome to me.

I don't know if we have good, but cheap defenseman (can we sell them on Paetsch's "potential" ;) ) to give them in trade, but I'd take Vermette in a heartbeat. He can play wing or center, and unlike Hecht, is very good on face-offs (he's been referred to as Ottawa's best player on face-offs). With better face-offs than Hecht and better hands than Gaustad, he would give us another option when Connolly gets hurt. You could run Hecht-Vermette-Pominville or even Vermette-Hecht-Pominville with Vermette taking face-offs.

Archived