Buffalo v. Ottawa

Goodfella25

I know it's just "on paper", but I find it interesting to compare our current roster with that of our biggest division rival (I'm of the opinion that they have surpassed Toronto, at least currently). Also, I think we've all come to the realization that Montreal and Boston are now the teams to beat in the division, but I just don't hate them like I hate Ottawa.

Forwards:

LW - 26 - Thomas VANEK

C - 9 - Derek ROY

RW - 29 - Jason POMINVILLE

LW - 55 - Jochen HECHT

C - 19 - Tim CONNOLLY

RW - 12 - Ales KOTALIK

LW - 20 - Dan PAILLE

C - 28 - Paul GAUSTAD

RW - 21 - Drew STAFFORD

LW - 41 - Clarke MACARTHUR

C - 22 - Adam MAIR

RW - 61 - Maxim AFINOGENOV

D - 10 - Henrik TALLINDER

D - 5 - Toni LYDMAN

D - 6 - Jaroslav SPACEK

D - 52 - Craig RIVET

D - 44 - Andrej SEKERA

D - 34 - Mike WEBER

G - 30 - Ryan MILLER

G - 40 - Patrick LALIME

----------------------------------------

LW - 15 - Dany HEATLEY

C - 19 - Jason SPEZZA

RW - 11 - Daniel ALFREDSSON

LW - 22 - Chris KELLY

C - 12 - Mike FISHER

RW - 25 - Chris NEIL

LW - 71 - Nick FOLIGNO

C - 20 - Antoine VERMETTE

LW - Jarkko RUUTU

LW - 37 - Dean MCAMMOND

C - 58 - Cody BASS

RW - Shean DONOVAN

D - 14 - Andrej MESZAROS

D - 4 - Chris PHILLIPS

D - 26 - Anton VOLCHENKOV

D - 21 - Jason SMITH

D - 55 - Brian LEE

D - 5 - Christoph SCHUBERT

G - 29 - Martin GERBER

G - Alexander AULD

Conclusion:

Forwards: Behind the star-studded top line, Ottawa doesn't have much to offer. The Sabres look to have a more balanced and deep unit. Edge goes to Buffalo.

Defense: How will Ottawa spread the ice time now that Redden is gone? Meszaros has been good, and will have to step it up to be their #1 guy. Brian Lee is the "x" factor. Schubert's defense is so questionable that he has been used at forward for large chunks of time. For the Sabres, Lydman and Tallinder need to rebound. Will Sekera and Weber continue to progress, or take a step backwards? To me, this is a wash. Each unit is questionable.

Goalies: Miller gets the edge over Gerber. Auld gets the edge over Lalime. Since starters are more important, Sabres get the edge.

I think overall, it is amazing to see just how different these teams look compared to their epic 2nd round battle just a couple seasons ago. Hopefully the rivalry continues and intensifies in 08-09. How do you think the teams match up?

Alfredsson vs. Miller has killed us. The games tend to be very close -- the two playoff series were razor-thin, despite the disparity in games won. Alfie is the X factor.

And have the Sabres yet found an answer to their top line?

Alfredsson vs. Miller has killed us. The games tend to be very close -- the two playoff series were razor-thin, despite the disparity in games won. Alfie is the X factor.

And have the Sabres yet found an answer to their top line?

That's the thing, in 05-06, Miller was the answer ... he was the difference in a series that was not really a 4 games to 1 blowout ... he needs to be that guy again. If he's not, 90% of the arguing we do about toughness and second-line centers is completely meaningless. I'm not saying he has to be 1998 Dominik Hasek, but he needs to be 2006 Ryan Miller.

Aside from the top-line, I'm really not that impressed with the Sens after that. I think the key is who do we have to match up against the Spezza line? In 05-06, Drury and Grier did a masterful job against that line. In 06-07, Drury was not as good and Zubrus got hurt as well in that series. We need a shutdown line against the Spezza line. I think against Ottawa, what I might do is play Gaustad-Hecht-Paille as a line just against the Spezza line and put Pominville with Roy and Vanek leaving third line of Kotalik-Connolly-Max/Stafford against a bunch of nobodies.

Either way, I'm not really impressed with Ottawa. I don't think they have much beyond that top line. Their blueline has never been all that impressive although Meszaros and Volchenkov are pretty good. But, I'm not really scared of them like I was say in 05-06 when they had Havlatt and Chara.

You don't? Ever watch Tampa when Vinny and St. Louis are not on the ice?

There's a difference between not having a potent second line and not having any lines. Fisher's 23 goals with Ottawa were more than any player scored for Tampa Bay outside of the aforementioned. That, and Tampa's defense and goaltending (most goals allowed in the league) doesn't shine a light to Ottawa's.

Now, I know it's important to have a full, well-balanced roster (see also: us). But when you have a guys of that skill eating up a significant amount of minutes, it does give you a little leeway on skill elsewhere.

There's a difference between not having a potent second line and not having any lines. Fisher's 23 goals with Ottawa were more than any player scored for Tampa Bay outside of the aforementioned.

True, I wasn't saying they were AS bad as Tampa, just that even with yoru best guys playing 22 minutes you need something else ... if they had another guy in addition to Fisher on that line scoring 20-25, I would call that potent for a second line in today's NHL. I guess they could try to get Vermette and Fisher on the same line but they'd have a hole in the middle.

Chris Neil is one of the big differences between the teams. They have one, we don't.

He really disappeared late last season.

I think think Bob Gainey noticed what happened to him when George Laraque whispered in his ear in the playoffs.

Politest player in the series.

"Thank you for the gentle reminder, Mr. Laraque, I will attend to all my personal defects and improprieties post-haste, sir. Please do have a good series. Cheerio!!"

LW - 15 - Dany HEATLEY

C - 19 - Jason SPEZZA

Conclusion:

Forwards: Behind the star-studded top line, Ottawa doesn't have much to offer. The Sabres look to have a more balanced and deep unit. Edge goes to Buffalo.

Defense: How will Ottawa spread the ice time now that Redden is gone? Meszaros has been good, and will have to step it up to be their #1 guy. Brian Lee is the "x" factor. Schubert's defense is so questionable that he has been used at forward for large chunks of time. For the Sabres, Lydman and Tallinder need to rebound. Will Sekera and Weber continue to progress, or take a step backwards? To me, this is a wash. Each unit is questionable.

Goalies: Miller gets the edge over Gerber. Auld gets the edge over Lalime. Since starters are more important, Sabres get the edge.

I think overall, it is amazing to see just how different these teams look compared to their epic 2nd round battle just a couple seasons ago. Hopefully the rivalry continues and intensifies in 08-09. How do you think the teams match up?

I don't care how well balanced we might think Buffalo is, but with a top line of those 3, theres no way Buffalo has any edge over them in the forward department as long as their 1st line looks like that.

I think they may be comparable at defence right now with Buffalo bringing in Rivet, and Ottawa losing Redden, but Buffalo is far better in the goaltending department. Gerber is too iffy right now. He has looked good at times last year, but ahs not been able to steal away the starting spot. He was only given it last year because Emery was struggling and the team had had enough of his antics that they decided to punish him and demote him to backup. Otherwise I wouldn't say he was all that much better then Emery for most of last season

I know it's just "on paper", but I find it interesting to compare our current roster with that of our biggest division rival (I'm of the opinion that they have surpassed Toronto, at least currently). Also, I think we've all come to the realization that Montreal and Boston are now the teams to beat in the division, but I just don't hate them like I hate Ottawa.

Forwards:

LW - 26 - Thomas VANEK

C - 9 - Derek ROY

LW - 55 - Jochen HECHT

C - 19 - Tim CONNOLLY

RW - 12 - Ales KOTALIK

LW - 20 - Dan PAILLE

C - 28 - Paul GAUSTAD

RW - 21 - Drew STAFFORD

C - 22 - Adam MAIR

D - 5 - Toni LYDMAN

D - 6 - Jaroslav SPACEK

D - 52 - Craig RIVET

D - 44 - Andrej SEKERA

D - 34 - Mike WEBER

G - 30 - Ryan MILLER

G - 40 - Patrick LALIME

LW - 15 - Dany HEATLEY

C - 19 - Jason SPEZZA

LW - 22 - Chris KELLY

C - 12 - Mike FISHER

RW - 25 - Chris NEIL

LW - 71 - Nick FOLIGNO

LW - Jarkko RUUTU

LW - 37 - Dean MCAMMOND

C - 58 - Cody BASS

RW - Shean DONOVAN

D - 14 - Andrej MESZAROS

D - 4 - Chris PHILLIPS

D - 26 - Anton VOLCHENKOV

D - 21 - Jason SMITH

D - 55 - Brian LEE

D - 5 - Christoph SCHUBERT

G - 29 - Martin GERBER

G - Alexander AULD

Conclusion:

Why take Hecht away from Pominville and put 2 snipers on 1 line? (Pominville,Vanek)

It should look like this

LW- Hecht

C- Connolly

RW- Pominville

I don't care how well balanced we might think Buffalo is, but with a top line of those 3, theres no way Buffalo has any edge over them in the forward department as long as their 1st line looks like that.

I think they may be comparable at defence right now with Buffalo bringing in Rivet, and Ottawa losing Redden, but Buffalo is far better in the goaltending department. Gerber is too iffy right now. He has looked good at times last year, but ahs not been able to steal away the starting spot. He was only given it last year because Emery was struggling and the team had had enough of his antics that they decided to punish him and demote him to backup. Otherwise I wouldn't say he was all that much better then Emery for most of last season

I agree with apu :) If Miller IMPROVES, he should be able to neutralize the forwards advantage they have.

Also, you forgot to compare the Coaches and we have an edge there too. I hate the SENs the most in the division and am looking forward to taking more games than giving this year! I think our roll/young players will improve more this year.

I apreciate your post. But you are dead wrong -- because Ottawa's defense is WAY WAY WAY WAY better than blfos.

* Solid performer (4 guy on ANY TEAM in the National League) -- Andrej MESZAROS

* #2 guy for ANY team in the league -- Chris PHILLIPS

* #2 guy for ANY team in the league (shot blocker and devasting HITTER, ask Paille) Anton VOLCHENKOV

* former #1 guy, injury bug now. Still a #4 guy on ANY TEAM -- Jason SMITH

* one of the finest prospects at defense in the eastern (Prince of Wales) division, a future #2 guy -- Brian LEE

* very good skating, smart player (carbon copy of lydman for them, as their #6 guy; lydman is sabres #3 behind rivet and tallinder) -- Christoph SCHUBERT

Forwards:

LW - 26 - Thomas VANEK

C - 9 - Derek ROY

LW - 55 - Jochen HECHT

C - 19 - Tim CONNOLLY

RW - 12 - Ales KOTALIK

LW - 20 - Dan PAILLE

C - 28 - Paul GAUSTAD

RW - 21 - Drew STAFFORD

C - 22 - Adam MAIR

D - 5 - Toni LYDMAN

D - 6 - Jaroslav SPACEK

D - 52 - Craig RIVET

D - 44 - Andrej SEKERA

D - 34 - Mike WEBER

G - 30 - Ryan MILLER

G - 40 - Patrick LALIME

LW - 15 - Dany HEATLEY

C - 19 - Jason SPEZZA

LW - 22 - Chris KELLY

C - 12 - Mike FISHER

RW - 25 - Chris NEIL

LW - 71 - Nick FOLIGNO

LW - Jarkko RUUTU

LW - 37 - Dean MCAMMOND

C - 58 - Cody BASS

RW - Shean DONOVAN

G - 29 - Martin GERBER

G - Alexander AULD

Conclusion:

I apreciate your post. But you are dead wrong -- because Ottawa's defense is WAY WAY WAY WAY better than blfos.

* Solid performer (4 guy on ANY TEAM in the National League) -- Andrej MESZAROS

* #2 guy for ANY team in the league -- Chris PHILLIPS

* #2 guy for ANY team in the league (shot blocker and devasting HITTER, ask Paille) Anton VOLCHENKOV

* former #1 guy, injury bug now. Still a #4 guy on ANY TEAM -- Jason SMITH

* one of the finest prospects at defense in the eastern (Prince of Wales) division, a future #2 guy -- Brian LEE

* very good skating, smart player (carbon copy of lydman for them, as their #6 guy; lydman is sabres #3 behind rivet and tallinder) -- Christoph SCHUBERT

You post makes for great comedy! The holes are so many, they don't even constitute a reply other than a few words. Miller Vs Gerber....

I see alot of 2-1 losses, Miller better stand up. Our roster looks soft. Coaching better be there. Something better be there. My guess is that they are dependant upon the defense. We definetely need the passion from somewhere.

Huh? Scoring goals has not been a problem for this team and I don't see why it would be this season. I am much more concerned with them still not being able to shut it down and protect a lead ... if they hold teams to two goals every night, they are not going to lose many 2-1.

Huh? Scoring goals has not been a problem for this team and I don't see why it would be this season. I am much more concerned with them still not being able to shut it down and protect a lead ... if they hold teams to two goals every night, they are not going to lose many 2-1.

your probably right. i hate to be a downer but our lines are soft. If it is anything like last season, scoring is inconsistent and in streaks. Shutting down is an issue too; as much as scoring consistent is. Miller needs to be shutdown more often, way too many softies; because of defense or him. I didnt mean to open a can of worms here.

I hear ya, it was too many 5 and 6 goal games and then scoring 5 in the next 3 games combined ... it does need to be more consistent. Hell, even if just Vanek himself is more consistent it will help. I just think the bigger issues are Miller returning to the form of the previous two seasons and the team not peeing their pants every time they get a lead against a decent team. If that happens, I think they make the playoffs ... probably don't go anywhere as currently constructed, but they left a lot of points on the table last season that they had within their grasp.

I hear ya, it was too many 5 and 6 goal games and then scoring 5 in the next 3 games combined ... it does need to be more consistent. Hell, even if just Vanek himself is more consistent it will help. I just think the bigger issues are Miller returning to the form of the previous two seasons and the team not peeing their pants every time they get a lead against a decent team. If that happens, I think they make the playoffs ... probably don't go anywhere as currently constructed, but they left a lot of points on the table last season that they had within their grasp.

Part of me thinks that if you are up 2-0 or 2-1 after one, Lindy switches things up to shutdown or push. I wasnt sure if he had the confidence last year. I feel the control wasnt there much of the time. Call it chemistry or whatever. Now, we are at the point of proven role players (roster), we know what we are going to get out of them; and coaching them to a higher standard. consistently. someone must feel confident with this line-up. :unsure:

I like the picture of the ladies you have. Nice! Do they play defense?

Gerber blows, everone knows that. But that defense is solid around him. Redden is a loss. Smith, if he stays healthy, could be a nice addition. There mistake was to trade Corvo. Idiot Murray...

Little D, Mostly Offense, sorry....Here's hoping Miller has the year of his careeer. It's time to move to the top 5.. or take less that 7 Mil a year!

Archived