Rangers

X. Benedict

I am somewhat fascinated by what is going on at MSG.

Rangers export:

Jagr, Straka, Shanahan, Tyutin, Backman, Avery and Malik,

They import:

Rissmiller, Kalinin, Redden, Zherdev, Fritsche, Voros, Naslund.

Any theories what they are trying to do? For me I just can't figure out how the pieces add up.

It looks like a more mobile defense, a group of wings you can juggle...

Thoughts?

I think they've gotten younger at forward and older at defense. I thought their blueline was raw and not very good and they did well because of the experience and scoring up front. Now, I think their blueline is improved, but I'm not convinced of how Kalinin and Redden are going to make a difference. Redden is way overrated and just isn't that good anymore in my opinion, and we all know Kalinin's story. I like some of the moves they made at forward, but there seems to be a bit of a leadership void that I guess Gomez and Drury will be taking on. Personally, I think they've gotten worse, but you know I could be totally wrong and these moves could work out really well to help them get younger and faster and more mobile, especially on the blueline. It'll be interesting, but I'm not sure they are better for these moves.

Rangers export:

They import:

Any theories what they are trying to do? For me I just can't figure out how the pieces add up.

Thoughts?

1. Jagr and Avery cancers have been removed.

2. Drury has control of that locker room now.

3. Heavy competition for spots on the 3rd and 4th lines.

The Rangers are definitely a better team going into 08-09 than they were last season.

1. Jagr and Avery cancers have been removed.

2. Drury has control of that locker room now.

3. Heavy competition for spots on the 3rd and 4th lines.

The Rangers are definitely a better team going into 08-09 than they were last season.

That doesn't really explain the major changes on the back end, though. Not saying they won't be better but ... I think the jury is still out.

I think if they can get the light to come on for both Kalinin and Zherdev they could have a couple real steals ... but I have no real reason to think they WILL suddenly come into their own under far more scrutiny and pressure in NYC.

Dunno about pressure, but I wonder if there isn't more scrutiny in Buffalo than New York. You really think anyone's going to recognize Kalinin around Manhattan? Being a pro athlete in Buffalo has to be hard.

Again, we're down to parsing words, which is fun.

Dunno about pressure, but I wonder if there isn't more scrutiny in Buffalo than New York. You really think anyone's going to recognize Kalinin around Manhattan? Being a pro athlete in Buffalo has to be hard.

True ... but when he had one of his braincramps in Buffalo he'd have one radio guy and two newpaper guys asking him about it. In NYC he'll have 25 guys crowding around his locker and the backpage of the Post will have his picture and 'Klueless Kalinin' in big bold letters. He had a confidence problem in Buffalo, i can't imagine in getting better on a bigger stage ... but he is probably worth the risk at that price.

For some reason I feel like Kalinin would have been afraid to leave his house...

That doesn't really explain the major changes on the back end, though. Not saying they won't be better but ... I think the jury is still out.

Ah, that's right, how could I forget the ridiculous contract they gave Redden to bring him in. Their D is suspect, as you point out:

Redden - Roszival

Mara - Staal

Girardi - ???

Kalinin, Sanguinetti, Pock

Just doesn't look like much depth there. Maybe they're not done. I think they gave up a lot in sending Tyutin to Columbus. He's solid.

True ... but when he had one of his braincramps in Buffalo he'd have one radio guy and two newpaper guys asking him about it. In NYC he'll have 25 guys crowding around his locker and the backpage of the Post will have his picture and 'Klueless Kalinin' in big bold letters. He had a confidence problem in Buffalo, i can't imagine in getting better on a bigger stage ... but he is probably worth the risk at that price.

If a hockey story actually makes the back page of the Post, that really would be news. Living in the area, people here would like to believe it's a bigger stage but i really doubt that it is.

Rangers export:

They import:

Thoughts?

It is interesting indeed. I frankly don't see how they aren't taking a real step back. Avery may have worn out his welcome in the locker room, but he was a real difference-maker for them on the ice -- as, of course, Jagr was too. Shanahan was a blood-and-guts leader (whom I'd love to see in a Sabres uniform this year), Tyutin was a decent defenseman and Straka was a decent forward.

Naslund could experience a rebirth, but I would've thought that more likely if he'd been able to play with Jagr. Other than Gomez there isn't much in the way of offensive playmaking left -- and I don't think Naslund can supply much of it on his own anymore. Rismiller is a decent forward but not a difference-maker. Redden, although overpaid, is a very good defenseman. We all know about Kalinin. I frankly wouldn't be surprised to see him play pretty well with the Rangers, although I wouldn't be surprised if he fell off the table either.

Bottom line though is that more production and leadership left that team than was imported. I suppose there could be improvements just from Drury and Gomez having a year under their belts there and taking control of the team, but how much?

I won't shed any tears if they have a crappy year, that's for sure.

Ah, that's right, how could I forget the ridiculous contract they gave Redden to bring him in. Their D is suspect, as you point out:

Redden - Roszival

Mara - Staal

Girardi - ???

Kalinin, Sanguinetti, Pock

Just doesn't look like much depth there. Maybe they're not done. I think they gave up a lot in sending Tyutin to Columbus. He's solid.

I kinda think Kalinin will (or could, anyway) end up on the 2nd pairing with Staal, who I really like. Mara is a big clumsy doofus. It could be a pretty good situation for Dmitri. Redden and Roszival will play 25-26 min. per game, so Renney might be looking to the 2nd pair for only 14-16 minutes. Staal is big, tough, confident and improving -- maybe he and Kalinin will complement each other well and some of Staal's qualities will rub off on Dmitri.

Considering how good Kalinin was in making blind passes to the Rangers last year, it's a positive for them.

nice.

This was a team that had a very hard time scoring. Only 3 players with 20+ goals last year.

They had a really hard time getting the puck up ice with speed. Redden and even Kalinen

may help.....but we'll see if Zherdev is the real deal.

I actually think Staal is the one guy they wouldn't pair Kalinin with.

But there appear to be plenty of good shrinks in New York - so who knows? - maybe

Kalinin will benefit from the change of scenery and extra time on a couch.

If a hockey story actually makes the back page of the Post, that really would be news. Living in the area, people here would like to believe it's a bigger stage but i really doubt that it is.

I thought about that ... and you are right, it wouldn't happen that way against the Caps in November. But if he does it in a big game, they might have some fun with it.

Considering how good Kalinin was in making blind passes to the Rangers last year, it's a positive for them.

Hey, let's not give all the credit to Kalinin on that one. Kotalik made a beautiful no-look pass to Shanny last year that went directly onto the tape of Avery for a game winning goal at home. The very same game he scored two goals in earlier on. I will always remember that game.

Hey, let's not give all the credit to Kalinin on that one. Kotalik made a beautiful no-look pass to Shanny last year that went directly onto the tape of Avery for a game winning goal at home. The very same game he scored two goals in earlier on. I will always remember that game.

Ugh. I remember it well. A good microcosm of a lousy season.

Ugh. I remember it well. A good microcosm of a lousy season.

Not only that, but my vote as the game that put the nail into their season. I honestly believe they'd have made the playoffs if that game was a regulation W.

Not only that, but my vote as the game that put the nail into their season. I honestly believe they'd have made the playoffs if that game was a regulation W.

Yeah there was a lot of hockey left but it sure felt like a turning point at the time and it still does. The next game they blew a 3-0 lead to a Philly team that was 0-8-2 coming in ... if they blow out Philly there, the Flyers are probably the team that misses the playoffs.

Yeah there was a lot of hockey left but it sure felt like a turning point at the time and it still does. The next game they blew a 3-0 lead to a Philly team that was 0-8-2 coming in ... if they blow out Philly there, the Flyers are probably the team that misses the playoffs.

It was certainly the turning point for Philly.

That would have been a devastating loss for them.

Anyone would have a better but if they made changes on the back end. hmm, maybe the jury's still out?

Was that Flyers debacle (with, IIRC, Briere scoring the game-winner in the shootout) the very next game? Yuck. There were so many bad losses last year, but those 2 really do stand out.

Archived