Rangers

X. Benedict

It is interesting indeed. I frankly don't see how they aren't taking a real step back. Avery may have worn out his welcome in the locker room, but he was a real difference-maker for them on the ice -- as, of course, Jagr was too. Shanahan was a blood-and-guts leader (whom I'd love to see in a Sabres uniform this year), Tyutin was a decent defenseman and Straka was a decent forward.

Naslund could experience a rebirth, but I would've thought that more likely if he'd been able to play with Jagr. Other than Gomez there isn't much in the way of offensive playmaking left -- and I don't think Naslund can supply much of it on his own anymore. Rismiller is a decent forward but not a difference-maker. Redden, although overpaid, is a very good defenseman. We all know about Kalinin. I frankly wouldn't be surprised to see him play pretty well with the Rangers, although I wouldn't be surprised if he fell off the table either.

Bottom line though is that more production and leadership left that team than was imported. I suppose there could be improvements just from Drury and Gomez having a year under their belts there and taking control of the team, but how much?

I won't shed any tears if they have a crappy year, that's for sure.

I kinda think Kalinin will (or could, anyway) end up on the 2nd pairing with Staal, who I really like. Mara is a big clumsy doofus. It could be a pretty good situation for Dmitri. Redden and Roszival will play 25-26 min. per game, so Renney might be looking to the 2nd pair for only 14-16 minutes. Staal is big, tough, confident and improving -- maybe he and Kalinin will complement each other well and some of Staal's qualities will rub off on Dmitri.

nice.

I actually see the Rangers competing with Montreal and Pittsburgh for the top of the East. I think you are underestimating Zherdev and tehir kids like Dubinsky, Dawes, Callahan and Staal.

I think they have slipped offensively. Love or hate Jagr, but EVERY team that played him, respected his ability. He was the true play maker up front. Their D was so-so last year. It's so-so this year. On balance, they've lost leadership, skill and talent. They had a tough time in the first six weeks of the last season getting all the new talent to jell last year. Me thinks they are in for deja vu..

I'd say without Jagr and Shanny they lose firepower. Losing Avery, they'll lose the edge: he actually won games for them with his scoring too. Dubinsky might pick up some slack, he's already made an impact, he's a really good young player. Zherdev, I've seen flashes of greatness from him but I don't think he's consistent enough; I think character is the main word with him. Kalinin can stabilize but he gets hurt too much. Redden, Meh. And I don't think Drury and Gomez are going to lead them anywhere. I think Naslund might have a revival ala Marcel Dionne out there. But I doubt it. They've changed the face of the organization and in a town with as many distractions as NY, there's no telling what will happen.

Alot worse.

I am somewhat fascinated by what is going on at MSG.

Rangers export:

Jagr, Straka, Shanahan, Tyutin, Backman, Avery and Malik,

They import:

Rissmiller, Kalinin, Redden, Zherdev, Fritsche, Voros, Naslund.

Any theories what they are trying to do? For me I just can't figure out how the pieces add up.

It looks like a more mobile defense, a group of wings you can juggle...

Thoughts?

I give them a +10 for trying. Everyone picks and pokes at NY and Philly, but they try to put a winner on the ice. That teams direction is very clear, build to win! I wish a certain few in Sabre management could figure that out.

I give them a +10 for trying. Everyone picks and pokes at NY and Philly, but they try to put a winner on the ice. That teams direction is very clear, build to win! I wish a certain few in Sabre management could figure that out.

Agreed. They are not afraid to change the pieces and see if the product improves.

Anyone would have a better but if they made changes on the back end. hmm, maybe the jury's still out?

Depends on the changes. If you go from picture frame ass (hold up both hands, thumbs touching, fore finger extended), to cottage cheese in a ziploc; well that's not really a good change then is it.

Depends on the changes. If you go from picture frame ass (hold up both hands, thumbs touching, fore finger extended), to cottage cheese in a ziploc; well that's not really a good change then is it.

Wow... That's deep..

Agreed. They are not afraid to change the pieces and see if the product improves.

Yeah but ... if I was a fan i wouldn't want them changing just for the sake of change and hoping it MIGHT improve. In this case, at least they didn't just go out and try to buy the most expensive guys, and they are trusting some of their youth finally ... one of my best friends is a Rangers fan and he used to get so frustrated with the constant chasing of old stars who never quite got it done. Obviously they still went outside the organization for veterans like Redden and Naslund, but there was a time they would have given Hossa $9 million and traded their top two prospects for Dan Boyle or something. It seems the guys they got, they have a specific role in mind for them, not just because they were the big names. They will be a factor, but they were a factor the last two seasons, we'll see if they are any better.

Yeah but ... if I was a fan i wouldn't want them changing just for the sake of change and hoping it MIGHT improve. In this case, at least they didn't just go out and try to buy the most expensive guys, and they are trusting some of their youth finally ... one of my best friends is a Rangers fan and he used to get so frustrated with the constant chasing of old stars who never quite got it done. Obviously they still went outside the organization for veterans like Redden and Naslund, but there was a time they would have given Hossa $9 million and traded their top two prospects for Dan Boyle or something. It seems the guys they got, they have a specific role in mind for them, not just because they were the big names. They will be a factor, but they were a factor the last two seasons, we'll see if they are any better.

If I am a Ranger fan (blech, I just got slightly ill by my own hypothetical), I hate, hate, hate the Redden contract.

Giving Kalinin that contract has me scratching my head.

Naslund I am happy about, but worried what to do with him, is he on the first line?

Zherdev as Tom W. says is the most intriguing part.

As for what Navy says - +10 for trying, I am not sure. Glen Sather did right by letting Jagr finally walk, but, we'll see.

The big roll of the dice is the Columbus trade.

Personally, I think NY fans are going to be all over Redden by November.

Archived