Spacho Being Shopped?

BamBam

This time last year, Spacek was in the same boat as Afinogenov. 80% would have let him walked for nothing.

Wow, that's a good point ... not sure if it means we should be down on Spacek or hopeful for Max to bounce back, but it's a great point ... he was looked at as a total bust by many.

This time last year, Spacek was in the same boat as Afinogenov. 80% would have let him walked for nothing.

Three seasons ago he was a major part of Edmonton's run to the final, 2 years ago struggled and last year was a great player for us. Despite of how he played, what he did, offensively and being physical, he's a total steal at $3.3 million. Huge bargain.

As i said, we ain't trading him away. And i just reviewed this thread and actually read the actual article, and guys, the OTTAWA SUN? They are no better then Eklund. The only difference between the two is they have a credible media source they work for, and Eklund doesn't. lol Jeez you guys.....

There was quite a sell Spacek crowd, for sure.

His first year in Buffalo was not a disaster however.

2006-07 BUF 65 5 16 21 +20

And the cross crease PP game didn't utilize his skills that year.

Yeah but I think it was the playoff disappearing act that had everyone down on him ... no points in 16 games and his ice time cut from 19 mpg to 14 ... maybe that is on Ruff, but still, it left a sour taste.

Wow, that's a good point ... not sure if it means we should be down on Spacek or hopeful for Max to bounce back, but it's a great point ... he was looked at as a total bust by many.

TrueI didn't see him as a total bust, but his first year was a disappointment. I think the major difference between the two is Spacek has more of an established track record than Max.

It wasn't a disaster, but it sure wasn't one of his career highlights, either. His 5-16-21 was 5th among the Sabres' defensemen -- behind Campbell, Teppo, Kalinin and Paetsch -- and he must have totally lost Lindy's confidence in the playoffs, because he was nailed to the bench alongside Dmitri for much of the Ottawa series.

I really think Darcy has a trick up his sleeve that will bolster the teams needs on O up the middle and on D. We shall see.

And your belief that this is the case is based on some sort of track record with this FO that leads you to such a conclusion? I would like to hear such evidence, since I have seen nothing in the past that would suggest you might even be close to right.

Buffalo needs D, not Forwards or centers. We have ton of offensive talent, assuming we don't let any more of it leave the rink. What we need are MORE veteran D-men who can help get these young guys up to speed and who know how to play solid stay at home D. Spacek does that. If we trade him for anything but a comparable D man, or in a package that does not net us a better D man, any such deal would be horrendous. Fischer is good. No doubt, but we have solid talent at center. Whatever people think, Connolly is excellent when healthy and our other center depth with Gaustad, Hecht and Mair is solid. Our D, however, needs serious help and is not what I would call solid for the NHL. Fischer might be good, but he does not fill a position of need, unless you plan to dump Connolly, which I think is unwise. I want to see how his health is at the start of the season. If he is anywhere near a hundred percent, his skills, experience, and talent make him better than Fischer. That might surprise some people, but watch the two of them play. Connolly is dangerous every time he has the puck. He doesn't commit a lot of turnovers, and he is an assist machine. Fischer has solid numbers, but I think it's a wash, and sending Spacek means we lose one of our better D-men. Don't like that deal at all.

Buffalo needs D, not Forwards or centers. We have ton of offensive talent, assuming we don't let any more of it leave the rink. What we need are MORE veteran D-men who can help get these young guys up to speed and who know how to play solid stay at home D. Spacek does that. If we trade him for anything but a comparable D man, or in a package that does not net us a better D man, any such deal would be horrendous. Fischer is good. No doubt, but we have solid talent at center. Whatever people think, Connolly is excellent when healthy and our other center depth with Gaustad, Hecht and Mair is solid. Our D, however, needs serious help and is not what I would call solid for the NHL. Fischer might be good, but he does not fill a position of need, unless you plan to dump Connolly, which I think is unwise. I want to see how his health is at the start of the season. If he is anywhere near a hundred percent, his skills, experience, and talent make him better than Fischer. That might surprise some people, but watch the two of them play. Connolly is dangerous every time he has the puck. He doesn't commit a lot of turnovers, and he is an assist machine. Fischer has solid numbers, but I think it's a wash, and sending Spacek means we lose one of our better D-men. Don't like that deal at all.

Despite Darcy's recent comments, we do have a need at center. You (and Darcy) are correct that when healthy Connolly is very good at center. However, they made that bet last year without a true backup plan and I would argue that was one of our biggest problems. You say we have depth at center with Gaustad, Hecht and Mair, but none of those three are capable top-two-line centers. Gaustad is great on face-offs, but doesn't have the hands for setting up or scoring needed on a top line. Hecht has better hands, but is not great on face-offs. He belongs on wing and is not a good choice when/if Timmy (or even Roy) is injured. Mair is, at best, a third-line center. Given his track record, we cannot afford to count on Timmy as a top-line center without a true backup plan.

We got some help on the blueline with the swap of Kalinin for Rivet and Sekera seemed to show that he could fill the role that Campbell had held. I wouldn't give up Spacek easily, as he is a good mix of puck-moving and physical, but if we got a younger defenseman who is capable of stepping in and filling the same role day onbe, in addition to a canter capable of playing on a top line, I would think about it.

I'll acknowledge that I was on the bandwagon to run Jaro out of town in 06-07, but he was definitely our best D-Man last year. He was an absolute beast on the blueline ("The Machine" :thumbsup: )before he got injured. With that said, having a 2nd scoring line that can shut down anyone (Hecht-Fisher-Pommers) would have me salivating at the mouth. Hell, re-sign Pratt, Teppo, give Paestch a spot, whatever. Ottawa's basically got 2 2nd line centers anyway (Vermette and Fisher). Fisher isn't the best scorer in the league, but he does have good hands. I'd make it happen.

Fisher is going nowhere. He's slightly overpaid and really should be one of the best third line centers in the league, but he is somewhat average for a 2nd line center.

Actually for the first time in ages, Ottawa looks thin at forward.

I agree on both points. Ottawa fans are a bit antsy. Trading Fisher wouldn't go over well. I read the Ottawa Sun a lot. He is definitely well liked up there.

I keep waiting for that bold move. Ruutu and Auld isn't exactly bold. Spezza and Alfie missed big chunks of time last year. Who knows if they'll be completely healhy. They have moved some 3rd and 4th line forwards and really haven't replaced or upgraded. And you read stories about players wanting out or being disgruntled.

Just to chime in on this. I was definitely on the move Spacek bandwagon last offseason, but he was no doubt the best Sabres defenseman last year, and I'm including Campbell in that comparison list. I would not want to trade him, but if the right deal came along, he's certainly not untouchable.

So what's the right deal? Given the article and looking specifically at Ottawa, I just have a tough time thinking they would deal Fisher. He's too good to just trade straight up for Spacek, as he's been a pretty consistent 20 goal scorer over the last few seasons and a consistent Selke Trophy finalist. You are not going to get him for Spacek straight up. What might be a likely trade could be Meszaros and Vermette for Spacek, Stafford/Paille, and a pick. The reason I say Meszaros and Vermette is because of how cap constrained the Sens are with Heatley, Alfie, and Spezza taking up so much room. Meszaros and Vermette are both RFAs and up for a big raises, and even though Vermette has filed for arbitration, I could still see the Sens trading him after his arbitration hearing before the season starts to give them some cap space. They are right now about $14 million under the new number, but they still have a lot of work to do with very little depth at forward after the big three. So, I could see them making a trade with some of their RFA assets. But, I think it would be very difficult for the Sabres to really make a decent deal with Ottawa no matter what. So, I don't think Spacek going to Ottawa for Fisher or Vermette or Meszaros or anyone else is going to happen anytime soon. Just my opinion.

I already said if Fisher was offered straight up for Spacek i'd do it in a heartbeat.

I am not sure why you believe Fisher is on the market, but even if he was, Ottawa isn't trading him for Spacek even if they had no defensemen on their roster.

One guy is 28, is a terrific young forward(great hitter and has scored 20+ goals the last 3 years while playing second fiddle to the big 3) and under contract for the next five years. The other is a 34 year old up and down blueliner who is under contract for one more year.

I am not sure why you believe Fisher is on the market, but even if he was, Ottawa isn't trading him for Spacek even if they had no defensemen on their roster.

One guy is 28, is a terrific young forward(great hitter and has scored 20+ goals the last 3 years while playing second fiddle to the big 3) and under contract for the next five years. The other is a 34 year old up and down blueliner who is under contract for one more year.

Labatt, to a lot of fans that still sounds like a deal Darcy should be able to make ... and get Spezza for Max while he is at it ... don't you get it? Darcy just sucks! ;)

Kind of the same argument why Max is so tough to trade right now.

Archived