Bouwmeester

ron89

I saw a rumor on one of the earlier posts about the sabres interested in Jay bouwmeester from florida. anyone know if there is any truth to that one or is that another pipe dream?

Pipe Dream... i like the kid a lot, but he is too valuable in my opinion for them to let go. It would cost us a ton. Although thinking of a line with both Horton and Stafford would be exciting for the next 5-7 years.

I don't think it's that impossible. A deal surrounding MacArthur, Stafford and Max and probably next years 1st round pick would be enough. Florida has alot of holes to fill. I think the deal breaker would be if they would take Max or not. People in Florida loved Bure's style, and Max is comparable (despite the stats) but i think their management would want a defenseman more. A Weber or Sekera to be more specific. I don't think we would pull the trigger if that was the case.

I don't think it's that impossible. A deal surrounding MacArthur, Stafford and Max and probably next years 1st round pick would be enough. Florida has alot of holes to fill. I think the deal breaker would be if they would take Max or not. People in Florida loved Bure's style, and Max is comparable (despite the stats) but i think their management would want a defenseman more. A Weber or Sekera to be more specific. I don't think we would pull the trigger if that was the case.

That sounds about right, though I think they would do a deal of Max, MacArthur and Sekera for Boumeester. We can't wait to get rid of Max, MacArthur hasn't really shown much, and thus you are essentially trading Sekera for Boumeester. I'll take that one. The problem is going to be the contract at the end of the season, as he will be an FA at that point. Getting him for only one season for those three guys would be a bad move, but since the FO refuses to resign anyone that seems to have the glimmer of greatness, the trade is unlikely, though I hope they consider the option. Lord knows, he is exactly the type of D-Man we need.

Also, i think it depends on how much it would take to re-sign him. Darcy isn't an idiot, he won't trade 3 guys for a guy we'll have for a year. Bouwmeester would need a long term deal, in our price range, for him to make any deal.

Which is exactly why we won't come anywhere near him.

Once Darcy finds out Bouwmeester is looking for anything above 3.5 next year, we're done looking.

I think it's funny that Max and Mac Arthur are thrown in to every deal. What makes you think people will take our crap and give us a good D-man? MacArthur is a 4th line winger and Max is going to be nearly impossible to trade. Do you think we are the only ones who watch him play? He has 1 year left on his contract and I don't think anyone wants him.

I think it's funny that Max and Mac Arthur are thrown in to every deal. What makes you think people will take our crap and give us a good D-man? MacArthur is a 4th line winger and Max is going to be nearly impossible to trade. Do you think we are the only ones who watch him play? He has 1 year left on his contract and I don't think anyone wants him.

Because their not "garbage". MacArthur is a scoring machine giving 50% effort each night in Rochester last year and the year before. The kid has great talent, even showed off some with Buffalo, was captain of Canada's juniors once too. The guy is talented and from what i have heard, the Florida people really like him ALOT. They only watched him play like 40 times last year.... If you remember, Pominville was called "garbage" too at one point, even point on waivers... look at him now. MacArthur is going to be a solid NHLer. I think his work ethic sucks and that will give him troubles being a 2nd line player, but he's a 2nd liner on a bad team, 3rd liner on a decent/good team after he gets quality playing time. No doubt about it.

Max just 2 seasons ago was a point per game player. I wouldn't call that "garbage" He struggled last year, as did most of our team.

Could not agree with you more!

Trade for what? Max, Mac and a 2nd rounder? Come on. You really think that is going to bring back a stud like Jay?

No Chance.

Where are you getting this Max, Mac and 2nd rounder from? It's the second time i've seen you post that and nowhere on this board anyone mentions that.

However, if you don't think Florida would accept a Sekera, Max/Mac, Stafford and 1st rounder for Jay, you're on drugs. Although, without a long term deal for Bouwmeester, we wouldn't touch this. And thats the deal that was talked about in this thread, not the thing you pulled out of your ass.

Where are you getting this Max, Mac and 2nd rounder from? It's the second time i've seen you post that and nowhere on this board anyone mentions that.

However, if you don't think Florida would accept a Sekera, Max/Mac, Stafford and 1st rounder for Jay, you're on drugs. Although, without a long term deal for Bouwmeester, we wouldn't touch this. And thats the deal that was talked about in this thread, not the thing you pulled out of your ass.

Personally, that's too much ... I want him too, but if you give up Sekera you still have a hole on the back end. I love Stafford but would be willing to part with him in this deal, I know you have to give to get .... but you give up Sekera there and you are tipping the scales too far the other way, IMO

Personally, that's too much ... I want him too, but if you give up Sekera you still have a hole on the back end. I love Stafford but would be willing to part with him in this deal, I know you have to give to get .... but you give up Sekera there and you are tipping the scales too far the other way, IMO

I agree...two very good prospects, one potentially very good prospect, and an average player is alot. Maybe if you eliminate Sekera and put in someone else (Kotalik, maybe?).

Trade for what? Max, Mac and a 2nd rounder? Come on. You really think that is going to bring back a stud like Jay?

No Chance.

Don't worry. Per tsn.ca, Bouwmeester filed for salary arbitration (which, if we recall, nailed us a couple of years ago big time).

How would there be a hole in the back end? Bouwmeester is a heck of a lot better D-man than Sekera. How would that make a hole in the back end? After the Rivet trade, if we acquired Boumeester, you would essentially have a D-Set of:

Rivet-Bouwmeester

Lydman-Tallinder

Spacek-Numminen

Paestch, Weber

How on earth is that creating a hole on the back end? That sounds like exactly what this team needs to improve. If Buffalo could get Bouwmeester, that would gives us, with these guys, a top-10 D, and our forwards are already talented enough to score the goals necessary to get to the playoffs. Max had a terrible year, and I'd be willing to give Stafford or MacArthur up to bring in Bouwmeester. That would STOP the bleeding, not make it worse.

I don't think Paille is going anywhere, either. The FO is high on this kid, and I think rightfully so. He will produce for us this year and hopefully, they'll sign him to an extension next offseason before he gets away in FA. But knowing this FO, that's unlikely.

How would there be a hole in the back end? Bouwmeester is a heck of a lot better D-man than Sekera. How would that make a hole in the back end? After the Rivet trade, if we acquired Boumeester, you would essentially have a D-Set of:

Rivet-Bouwmeester

Lydman-Tallinder

Spacek-Numminen

Paestch, Weber

How on earth is that creating a hole on the back end? That sounds like exactly what this team needs to improve. If Buffalo could get Bouwmeester, that would gives us, with these guys, a top-10 D, and our forwards are already talented enough to score the goals necessary to get to the playoffs. Max had a terrible year, and I'd be willing to give Stafford or MacArthur up to bring in Bouwmeester. That would STOP the bleeding, not make it worse.

I don't think Paille is going anywhere, either. The FO is high on this kid, and I think rightfully so. He will produce for us this year and hopefully, they'll sign him to an extension next offseason before he gets away in FA. But knowing this FO, that's unlikely.

It is a hole because I don't want Teppo playing 82 games, he'll be shot by the middle of February ... and besides that, Spacek's deal is up after this season and Sekera would be an inexpensive contributor for the next few years. If you trade Sekera in that deal you are using Teppo as a band-aid and then you are looking for two band-aids the next season, one for Spacek and one for Teppo's spot. (I assume one of these would be Weber, but still ... it's just not the kid of thing Darcy does.)

I'm not saying it is HORRIBLE, and if the rest of the team was ready to make a run at the Cup THIS season I would even agree, you go for it. But since they are not it sure feels like a move to make them better just this season and then creates new issues for next year ... and I think we can all agree the fewer issues the FO needs to juggle, the better.

It's a moo point, as Joey Tribiani would say, because it would all likely depend on FLA taking Max and his salary, and that ain't gonna happen.

It is a hole because I don't want Teppo playing 82 games, he'll be shot by the middle of February ... and besides that, Spacek's deal is up after this season and Sekera would be an inexpensive contributor for the next few years. If you trade Sekera in that deal you are using Teppo as a band-aid and then you are looking for two band-aids the next season, one for Spacek and one for Teppo's spot. (I assume one of these would be Weber, but still ... it's just not the kid of thing Darcy does.)

I'm not saying it is HORRIBLE, and if the rest of the team was ready to make a run at the Cup THIS season I would even agree, you go for it. But since they are not it sure feels like a move to make them better just this season and then creates new issues for next year ... and I think we can all agree the fewer issues the FO needs to juggle, the better.

It's a moo point, as Joey Tribiani would say, because it would all likely depend on FLA taking Max and his salary, and that ain't gonna happen.

You're forgetting that Teppo won't have to play that many games. Paestch is perfectly capable of playing in that spot. And frankly, if Spacek has a good year, he would be one of the few people I think the FO would actually try to retain, as they were the ones who brought him in. That leaves Teppo's spot. However, Paestch and Weber would be available to come in and with another year of learning and practicing, Weber would likely be ready at that point for the starting role anyway. Plus, the new guy we drafted in the first round this year is going to be called up at that point anyway, so what's the problem?

Even assuming that Spacek AND Numminen are gone, you can still have Weber and Paestch filling their roles, and you would have to have picked up another D-man in free agency anyway. Take your FA pickup and the new rookie Myers and you are pretty much set. Nothing wrong there, and you have four solid veteran D-men and at top-10 D-man in your top pairing. I don't see how there is a hole or how in any way this would be detrimental at all.

You're forgetting that Teppo won't have to play that many games. Paestch is perfectly capable of playing in that spot. And frankly, if Spacek has a good year, he would be one of the few people I think the FO would actually try to retain, as they were the ones who brought him in. That leaves Teppo's spot. However, Paestch and Weber would be available to come in and with another year of learning and practicing, Weber would likely be ready at that point for the starting role anyway. Plus, the new guy we drafted in the first round this year is going to be called up at that point anyway, so what's the problem?

Even assuming that Spacek AND Numminen are gone, you can still have Weber and Paestch filling their roles, and you would have to have picked up another D-man in free agency anyway. Take your FA pickup and the new rookie Myers and you are pretty much set. Nothing wrong there, and you have four solid veteran D-men and at top-10 D-man in your top pairing. I don't see how there is a hole or how in any way this would be detrimental at all.

Oh ... OK ... the organization that hates to overpay in free agency and likes their guys to develop a year or two in the AHL is going to not only sign a free agent defenseman but bring up a 19 year old to play when they already have a 20 year old (Weber) on the team?

Whateve the case, it's all a moot point unless you can get FLA to take Max and his money.

Because their not "garbage". MacArthur is a scoring machine giving 50% effort each night in Rochester last year and the year before. The kid has great talent, even showed off some with Buffalo, was captain of Canada's juniors once too. The guy is talented and from what i have heard, the Florida people really like him ALOT. They only watched him play like 40 times last year.... If you remember, Pominville was called "garbage" too at one point, even point on waivers... look at him now. MacArthur is going to be a solid NHLer. I think his work ethic sucks and that will give him troubles being a 2nd line player, but he's a 2nd liner on a bad team, 3rd liner on a decent/good team after he gets quality playing time. No doubt about it.

Max just 2 seasons ago was a point per game player. I wouldn't call that "garbage" He struggled last year, as did most of our team.

I see a lot of similarities between Pominville and MacArthur, too. For a guy that played on the top line for a good part of the year, I don't think he gets enough credit around here.

I see a lot of similarities between Pominville and MacArthur, too. For a guy that played on the top line for a good part of the year, I don't think he gets enough credit around here.

If MacArthur plays like he did the first time he was called up, I am all for him ... he played like his hair was on fire and stunned me the way he played the body (of course maybe that was just compared to most of the Sabres forwards) ... but after he went back down, he never played like that again ... if he re-discovers that, he could contribute.

Archived