Should not even justify a post

Rayzor32

Max-Timmy-Kotalik......

I was just making sure. I really didn't know if you had plans for other people. As I can see it right now, none of them are people we want to dump. Lydman, we dumped. We want something for these other guys, as little/big as it may be. I think if we could get two 3rd line centers or even 4th line center would be a good thing. We only have Roy and Goose at center if we get rid of Connolly. Mair, Kotalik and Hecht are basically putting a bandaid on a broken leg.

Hecht had a decent year playing center when he is a natural left wing. A good amount of people were saying that he would be good trade bait but he is much better on the wing.

Mair i was actually pretty happy with at center because of the fact you don't expect him to be good. If he gets a few goals and a couple of scrums here and there he usually has a stand out year for himself (I'm not putting him on the chopping block so don't get that idea anyone).

Kotalik, well... , he scored like it was his job... on the shootout. If he could produce the way he does like that in regulation then I would have no problem keeping him around. At any rate, he was usually the only one that would score on the shootout. This doesn't really add up to much when miller usually lets one in (I'll just leave last year out of this topic).

All and all, Timmy probably won't be moving out because of the fact that he is just a little stronger than a piece of glass. Max is going to go (regardless of what we get for him, he's going). Kotalik will probably stick around for a while longer. Maybe for the best.

Here's some entertainment for you. This rumor is being discussed on the MinnesotaWild.com message board. Look at what some of these "fans" want in return for Gaborik...

"How about Vanek, Roy, Afinogenov and a 2nd round pick?"

"Roy and Pomminstein and a prospect."

"Pomminstein and Roy would be nice, but Vanek would likely have to be included to purge salary."

"Roy, Pominville, Stafford *crosses fingers*"

"Roy, Spacek and a 1st rounder."

"I would want Roy, Pomminstein and prospect or high pick"

I just wanted to post some of the ridiculous ones. I know Gaborik must be important to Wild fans, but why in the world would we trade our #1 center, #1 right wing and a 1st round pick for an injury-prone softee? He's a sniper, but I don't think that answers my question.

Can somebody with a (very) long reach please hit these tools over the head with a frying pan?

Thaaaanks....

Here's some entertainment for you. This rumor is being discussed on the MinnesotaWild.com message board. Look at what some of these "fans" want in return for Gaborik...

"Pomminstein and Roy would be nice, but Vanek would likely have to be included to purge salary."

I just wanted to post some of the ridiculous ones. I know Gaborik must be important to Wild fans, but why in the world would we trade our #1 center, #1 right wing and a 1st round pick for an injury-prone softee? He's a sniper, but I don't think that answers my question.

How about none of the above. Is it a prerequisite to drink a 6 pack before posting on that board.

The only player mentioned above that would be reasonable would be Max.

I was just making sure. I really didn't know if you had plans for other people. As I can see it right now, none of them are people we want to dump. Lydman, we dumped.

Hecht had a decent year playing center when he is a natural left wing. A good amount of people were saying that he would be good trade bait but he is much better on the wing.

Mair i was actually pretty happy with at center because of the fact you don't expect him to be good. If he gets a few goals and a couple of scrums here and there he usually has a stand out year for himself (I'm not putting him on the chopping block so don't get that idea anyone).

I think we agree on most here. We dumped Lydman? :unsure: Understanding that if you want to dream about Gabby, we would like to give up something but not everything. Kotalik falls into the "something" catagory. We would have to include some major youth or drafts for sure. Goose could be attractive to them, MacArthur? I love Hecht & Mair BTW. On most nights Mair is our best player in concern of effort and passion.

Gaborik isnt gonna get had for Max, Timmy,and Kotalik combined...He is gonna cost a real player or 2 young prospects such as a Paille, Bernier(maybe) stafford..Unless they have decided they must move him at all costs he is gonna be traded for a fair price...Max doesnt fit into their type of play, Maybe Kotalik and Stafford and a pick if were lucky. They wont deal for timmy due to his past injury concerns..Lets be realistic a little bit..

I don't want to see the Sabs spend $7M+ on one superstar when they can get two (or maybe three) for the same money. The team isn't lacking one superstar. It's lacking 2 or 3 good, but solid, starters, as well as a backup for Miller.

Ya Stafford > Gaborik. Stafford and Vanek cannot leave this team if you are askng me.

Sounds like a homer call there.. Gaborik > Stafford now and in the future.

Everyone dreams big, but of course it's not going to happen. Vanek/Roy/Pominville are going nowhere. Stafford/Max/1st and a 3rd sounds close to what Darcy could part with. Also, if a deal is done I think a contract extension would be done before the season.

Sounds like a homer call there.. Gaborik > Stafford now and in the future.

Everyone dreams big, but of course it's not going to happen. Vanek/Roy/Pominville are going nowhere. Stafford/Max/1st and a 3rd sounds close to what Darcy could part with. Also, if a deal is done I think a contract extension would be done before the season.

Would you deal Pominville straight up for Gaborik? I dont think I would..But they might ask for it..

I think we agree on most here. We dumped Lydman? :unsure: Understanding that if you want to dream about Gabby, we would like to give up something but not everything. Kotalik falls into the "something" catagory. We would have to include some major youth or drafts for sure. Goose could be attractive to them, MacArthur? I love Hecht & Mair BTW. On most nights Mair is our best player in concern of effort and passion.

It's not that I'm dreaming about Gabby. I would love to have him, if the price is right. I'm not willing to give up a lot. Maybe two players that are expendable and they need.

Sorry about the Lydman. I meant Kalinin. A little drunk.

But I get the feeling they will give up on Lydman eventually.

I don't want to see the Sabs spend $7M+ on one superstar when they can get two (or maybe three) for the same money. The team isn't lacking one superstar. It's lacking 2 or 3 good, but solid, starters, as well as a backup for Miller.

I think Gaborik would put up some sick numbers in Buffalo's system.

Think of someone who can go at Max's speed and finish.

Gaborik was also somewhat weak defensively his first few seasons, but he has looked pretty disciplined when I've seen him since the lockout.

Any deal that has Roy and/or Pommer in it better be for the best player(s) on the other team. Even then, there's only a few teams whose best players I would take (hint: two of them played in the SCF. ;) )

Gaborik would be nice, but if we don't have enough left to fill our holes after that deal (other than the hole that we might be getting filled on that deal ... without a reach around), then we will be like this guy from the Lady in the Water who only did curls on one arm:

post-1053-1214356098_thumbjpg

With strong wingers, but hurting up the center and on defense.

Any deal that has Roy and/or Pommer in it better be for the best player(s) on the other team. Even then, there's only a few teams whose best players I would take (hint: two of them played in the SCF. ;) )

Gaborik would be nice, but if we don't have enough left to fill our holes after that deal (other than the hole that we might be getting filled on that deal ... without a reach around), then we will be like this guy from the Lady in the Water who only did curls on one arm:

post-1053-1214356098_thumbjpg

With strong wingers, but hurting up the center and on defense.

HAHAHAHA, which hand do you think he jerks it with?

No.

Tough question though.

That is a tough question. Pommer's is on the way up in his play and will definitely get better. Not sure what we can count on from Gabby. I say screw the deal and stick with Pommer's if it comes down to it. Get the feeling DR will say the same.

That is a tough question. Pommer's is on the way up in his play and will definitely get better. Not sure what we can count on from Gabby. I say screw the deal and stick with Pommer's if it comes down to it. Get the feeling DR will say the same.

I wonder if we have seen Pominvilles best yet..Thats my only question..I feel he is gonna get better but for some reason I have this small little feeling that tells me to be careful..One more season like the last 2 will erase them I hope..

When faced with the possibility of acquiring a guy like Gaborik, I think the FO needs to make sure that he's part of a long term plan to get the team back into contention for the Cup.

If he's the only significant offseason move the Sabres make, does that thrust them back into the top echelon of the league? I don't think so, and it's just as likely he'd be gone after this season. That's lots of money for a guy to take help them get to the second round of the playoffs.

Other needs which have been mentioned ad nauseum on this board need to be addressed to make a one year rental like Gaborik worth it.

I wonder if we have seen Pominvilles best yet..Thats my only question..I feel he is gonna get better but for some reason I have this small little feeling that tells me to be careful..One more season like the last 2 will erase them I hope..

I don't know about you, but i miss the "we roll 4 lines" days. I think if we keep him on the line he's on and get a solid center, he will continue to produce the way he has.

You really don't really need Pommer to get better. He is just so darn consistent that you don't give that up. He's a solid, reliable two-way player and he puts up numbers. I don't remember him missing a single shift.

I think Gaborik would put up some sick numbers in Buffalo's system.

Think of someone who can go at Max's speed and finish.

Gaborik was also somewhat weak defensively his first few seasons, but he has looked pretty disciplined when I've seen him since the lockout.

Oh, Gaborik would thrive in the Sabres' system and in most systems, no question from me on that. It's nothing against Gaborik; he's great.

I just don't want to break the bank on a single skater.

I read this on Garth's blog and had never thought about it. I think it would be interesting to see what Gaborik could do on a more open offensive team like the Sabres. Regardless of the validity of the rumor what do you think? Would you want Gaborik on the Sabres if the trade was reasonable?

I don't know about you, but i miss the "we roll 4 lines" days. I think if we keep him on the line he's on and get a solid center, he will continue to produce the way he has.

I don't. I miss the "we have two great scoring lines, one good checking line and one energy line" days. We scored a bunch but gave up a bunch, and never learned how to play good enough two-way hockey to win it all.

You really don't really need Pommer to get better. He is just so darn consistent that you don't give that up. He's a solid, reliable two-way player and he puts up numbers. I don't remember him missing a single shift.

Agree 100%.

I read this on Garth's blog and had never thought about it. I think it would be interesting to see what Gaborik could do on a more open offensive team like the Sabres. Regardless of the validity of the rumor what do you think? Would you want Gaborik on the Sabres if the trade was reasonable?

Absolutely, without hesitation.

As X put it - think Max's speed + hands + finishing skills + playoff scoring (12-10-22 in 29 games) - putting up huge numbers as pretty much the lone consistent scoring threat on a trapping team. In Lindy's system, playing the high slot and looking for odd-man rushes and breakouts? I think he'd score 50, and he'd add a very dangerous weapon to our PP (57 career PPG, averaging 10+ each of the last three seasons.)

I absolutely would love to have Gaborik on the Sabres. Do I think it will happen? Probably not.

What do I think it will take to get Gaborik? It's not going to be Pommer or Roy. It may be Stafford, prospect, and first round pick. Please don't misinterpret my trade Stafford posts to mean that I don't like him. But, in reality, at this point in time, he is really the most valuable trading chip the Sabres have that will bring value back and that can afford to be lost and replaced. I don't want Stafford traded, but if it meant getting Gaborik, then I'm all for it.

The wild card trade that I might throw out is a Vanek for Gaborik trade straight up. Since they both play Left Wing and are both about the same price, it might be one of the few one-for-one deals that actually make sense. Vanek is younger than Gaborik and is signed for a long time and let's not forget, Minnesota has become his adopted home in the U.S. as he went to college there and I believe makes his offseason home there as well. From the Sabres perspective, you are getting a stud LW who is only 26 years old and by trading Vanek have enough money to sign him long term (i.e. the money you committed to Vanek) for a proven player who can score a lot and who by the way is pretty good on defense. I would do a Vanek for Gaborik trade. I think this may be a very controversial statement that I am making on this message board, but given that Vanek lives in Minnesota, his fiance is from there, the fact that he's younger than Gaborik by about 3 years and is just hitting his stride as an NHLer, it might make sense. I'm not anti-Vanek, but it's a trade that could make sense.

However, as Garth said, I think I'd be more interested in Rolston as although he is a RW, he can and does take faceoffs, is much more affordable, and a very good solid player both offensively and defensively and could be our Chris Drury type player that we missed last year. Just my opinion.

Take into account how the Wild play. Guys like Kotalik, Paille, even Mair may be more valuable to them than a Roy.

If it does take a stafford to get Gaborik, I'd still do it. Gaborik is a proven 40+ goal scorer. Stafford, is not. I don't think he's a bust by any means, but his year last year was frankly pretty awful. I'm all for giving him a pass but if you're asking me to choose between Stafford and Gaborik. I'm choosing Gaborik EVERY time.

As far as MAx and Timmy, they are throw ins as far as I'm concerned. I wouldn't be dissapointed to see them leave with a guy like Gaborik coming in.

Here's hoping.

Can somebody with a (very) long reach please hit these tools over the head with a frying pan?

Thaaaanks....

Why? Is what they are posting any dumber than some of the potential deals listed on this thread. Why would the Wild want Max, Kotalik or Connolly? It's going to take more than the Sabres garbage and a prospect. If I were the wild GM any deal that is reached would need to include Pominville. Pominville and Gerbe perhaps and maybe throw in Max to help even of the salaries a little.

Archived